Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mobil 1 really?

BOOM

Is this just a cheep way of lubing a rifle? or will the synthetic additives help make carbon build up on Bolt carrier easier to clean (that would be nice). This just keeps coming up about using Mobil 1 never seem to understand WHY, and just can't get past that its motor oil for cars.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use it on my pistols and they still get pretty funky. Seem just as hard to clean as always. I think almost any old gun oil would work fine but we get sucked in to whatever seems to be "the thing to use" at the moment.

For the most part oil is oil as far as I'm concerned. I don't think any kind or amount of oil will help with things like bolt tail buildup, I think there's too much heat and and high velocity gas in the vicinity for oil to stay put. This is all just theoretical though, I don't really know. Kurtm probably knows a thing or two about oil though...

I'm not sure how but I've accumulated quite a few vintage gun cleaning kits, it's funny to see that if you read the back of the "gun oil" can they clearly state it's just general household use oil that happens to lubricate not only your gun but your sewing machines, meat grinder, butter churn, etc.

Motor oil used in cars goes through lots of certified testing, compared apples to apples against other motor oils using known measurement methods, and the industry has been around for a long time to debate and "get right" the processes and standards set forth. What makes a 10w30, or 5w30, or something else important? I don't claim to know it all.

That being said, gun oil companies don't have any of that backing up their product, just marketing and the fact that many people say many different brands "work really well" and "its the best stuff out there". Decide for yourself what to use but when just about any oil will do in a small easy machine like a firearm, just about every oil will work if applied liberally.

Personally I settled on FIRECLEAN because the longer I've used it, the more I've liked it. Store it dry, shoot it wet, and focus on training - not your gun oil.

Most of the "gun oil" has to come from somewhere, and as far as I know, Lucas is the only one with their own refinery. I'd guess most of it is some variety of motor oil bought in large quantities, packaged in very small quantities, and sold with a very big increase in price.

I have been using 30wt Synthetic mixed with ATF and I have found that it beats almost everything on the market, for a lot less coin. I have tested all manner of lubes and oils, a bunch of them when I spent a few years working in an oil analysis lab and a bunch more when i was taking a Masters Tribology course. Most gun care products are a high profit/low benefit product...good for the seller and not so much for the user. I've made a few of the "gun care" folks upset by calling a spade a spade over the years, but I try to call it like I see it. A couple of months ago I started testing an actual "gun oil" and so far it has performed at the extremes of -12F to 90 round mag dumps without ill effects, so beating the other "gun oils" I have tested similarly. I have more work to do, but so far my "home brew" of synthetic motor oil and ATF may have a legitimate contender.

Edited by MarkCO

I love the description on the Lucas Gun Oil :

"Developed to prevent jamming and over-heating in large machine guns and high caliber rifles. Great for recreational hand gun enthusiast. Lucas Gun Oil is designed to stand up to the high combustion temperatures of machine guns. It also totally protects against moisture and is completely odorless. It resists evaporation and drying during long term storage."

Relative to everything else gun related, this stuff is cheap, I bought a case so then I'm never short oil/container for any of the too many gun bags I have. And when I'm somewhere when I've forgotten it, I just head to the auto parts store and grab another :-)

Edited by trgt

I have been using 30wt Synthetic mixed with ATF and I have found that it beats almost everything on the market, for a lot less coin. I have tested all manner of lubes and oils, a bunch of them when I spent a few years working in an oil analysis lab and a bunch more when i was taking a Masters Tribology course. Most gun care products are a high profit/low benefit product...good for the seller and not so much for the user. I've made a few of the "gun care" folks upset by calling a spade a spade over the years, but I try to call it like I see it. A couple of months ago I started testing an actual "gun oil" and so far it has performed at the extremes of -12F to 90 round mag dumps without ill effects, so beating the other "gun oils" I have tested similarly. I have more work to do, but so far my "home brew" of synthetic motor oil and ATF may have a legitimate contender.

I've tried this and it lubricates very well but any advice for the horrible odor?....Maybe I'm using the wrong ATF fluid???

LSA is still far and away the best firearms lubricant. It's still manufactured by Castrol Speciality Products Division and Helmuth Behn in Germany, its been around forever and it flat out works. A quart usually runs less than $10 and unless you have a Title II arsenal it would likely last you a lifetime.

Edited by Mark Gale

I use Mobil 1 for everything including for some around the house things that people would normally use WD40 for. Excuse my French but Mobil 1 is the shit. I think it works great for rifles, pistols, and shotguns. It does get messy though.

Best of all it is cheap and a quart lasts forever basically.

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

I use full synthetic Amsoil. That's what is used in my vehicles therefore always have some for pistols and rifles. I just put some in a small container with fine point needle applicator.

No need to worry about... I'm I using the most bestest fashionable oil? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSA is still far and away the best firearms lubricant. It's still manufactured by Castrol Speciality Products Division and Helmuth Behn in Germany, its been around forever and it flat out works. A quart usually runs less than $10 and unless you have a Title II arsenal it would likely last you a lifetime.

I thought I was the only person still using LSA.

I've been happy with Mobile1 for a while. Ballistol to clean (that stuff has been around forever as well) mobile1 full synthetic to lube. I don't want to spend $15 on 4oz of oil, if my guns get dry I can always get some off of a dipstick if I really need to.

I had not even hear LSA since my early days in the Army. Who sells it?

Sarge, I bought a case of it back when I was gun plumbing. I still have enough left to last as long as I shoot.

I haven't bought any in years but I see it at the gun show all the time. If anyone has it Sarco will. Watch out though, I ordered some Valmet parts from them last month and they have a minimum order amount so it likely won't be cost effective to buy it from them.

Royal Purple has its own synthetic gun oil. I got a free can at an event and have used it when I need to oil one of my guns up at a match. Seems to work very well.

Normally when I clean my guns I use Mobil 1 as recommended by a gunsmith. Supposed to have a very high working temp and does not break down. Guns clean up easily with little carbon build-up. With all the temp variations and humidity here in southeast Texas it has always worked for me.

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/royal-purple-synthetic-gun-oil/

gerritm