Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2015 Old Fort Rimfire Challenge (Ideas?)

Strip

The 2015 Old Fort Rimfire Challenge will be May 2nd and 3rd.

I am wanting to do a really cool side match in addition to the 12 stages for the match.

I want this side match to be fun, cost effective and somewhat innovative in that a new shooter stands as good of a chance at winning as does a seasoned pro. I am thinking of doing some kind of handicap or something.

One idea I had was setting up a Texas star and using a donated gun. whoever clears the star the fastest wins the gun. I am thinking that I could use last years match results as a handicap. Last years places 75th through last place shoots it at 21 feet, 50th thru 75th shoots it at 30 feet, 25th through 50th shoot it at 40 feet, 1 through 25 at 45 feet. all new or non registered shooters draw for shooting position. I was thinking maybe 2 chances for 5$ ammo supplied. proceeds after paying for the target and ammo would be divided among other places.

Or, I was thinking maybe a head to head drag race. it would be more difficult to facilitate during the match, but with our no squading venue I think it is doable.

$10.00 double elimination 75% payback to shooters

here is my thought. place 16 plates out front. both shooters start on same buzzer first shooter that clears 8 plates wins. (1 10 rnd magazine)

We would do an actual bracket and it would be ongoing during the whole match with the final four being during the awards ceremony.

I could handicap like this.

based on last years results.

75th through last gets choice of rifle or pistol, and starts with 2 plates down.

50-75 has choice of rifle or pistol and starts 1 plate down

25-50 pistol only 1 plate down

1-25 pistol only.

I would have to come up with some ideas for new shooters.

Please give me some thoughts or ideas. or tell me of some other side matches that have been fun.

The man on man is fun but would take a lot of time and be trouble over 2 day format. Newer shooters may shy away from man v man.

How about something with the falling targets like: 20 targets, 10 for each pistol and rifle. Guns can start with 11rds. Run a separate string for each gun and use total time plus highest target down count.

Barry,

I feel like I need to stay clear of being to close to our 22 extreme format because there is some discussion for setting a stage up at the worlds this year. Bringing them out early could down play the worlds and I don't wish to do that. I may use a few of the targets, just don't want to use them in a similar way as the match utilizing 2 guns. great idea though. You are correct though, it would be very difficult to do the man on man with the two day format.

Bracket racer style.

Pick a stage in the match for the shoot-off. The shooter will have shot it 5 times already that way. They dial their time...Closest without going under wins. You can set up brackets anyway you want. When I have done this in 3Gun, there are always some sub 50% competitors that are near the top. It is fun any everyone seemed to enjoy it. Just don't allow a dial time of 30 and you should be good.