Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

zero distance for rimfire rifle for matches

1eyedfatman

I zero my .223 rifles at 50 yards for 3gun and multigun matches. I plan on doing .22lr rimfire rifle matches next year also. These are usually Steel matches where they allow you to run 2 guns, pistol (9mm for me) and rimfire rifle if you choose. I zeroed my AR22 rifle at 30 yards today. at up close (=<7 yeards), I notice about a 2.25 low point of impact. Most of the matches are close up shots...rerunning a pistol steel match, but I've been to 1 match were they did have us shooting out to 100 yards. What do you some you guys that have done a lot of rimfire matches zero at?

50yds is the magic number for me. If your using an AR style rifle with a bore/sight offset around 2-3/4" or so your always gonna have a low up close impact. Unless of course you zero obscenely close, which will open a big can of worms farther downrange. With a 50yd zero and high velocity ammo I'm usually looking at a 6-8" holdover to get me to 100yd. If your regularly going to shoot to or past 100 and get any sort of accuracy you'll want to run subsonic ammo, high velocity does weird stuff when it drops below the sound barrier at around 80-85yds or so.

Edited by TonytheTiger

• 2 months later...

A lot depends on the distance variations. For instance in 3-gun I shoot either Tac Optics or Open. I use BDC reticle tactical types scopes so I zero them at 100 yards otherwise the dots won't work. Then in a pinch the 300y dot is very close at 30 yards if needed, and in open I just run an offset red dot for closeup work. For rimfire speed shooting most steel events have targets no more than about 35 yards away and sometimes closer limits. I usually zero both rifle and pistol at around 20 yards as I do not want to have to bother doing a hold over or under. Slows me down. If the target range differences is greater than 50 yards say from 15-70 or so, then depending on the MOA size of the target I may opt to use a scope instead of a red dot.

Ditto on what .22Lr does when it goes transsonic. But again the MOA of the target can determine if match speed ammo is warranted. If you have to shoot under 2 MOA then set it up to shoot match type subsonic. If the targets are 4 MOA or larger it does not matter much as even high velocity rounds out of a

semi auto will group under that.

Edited by photoracer

I only shoot USPSA and NSSF steel matches and I zero my pistols and rifles at 45 feet (15 yards) that's the approximate average distance for the USPSA steel challenge targets. So far it has worked well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I only shoot USPSA and NSSF steel matches and I zero my pistols and rifles at 45 feet (15 yards) that's the approximate average distance for the USPSA steel challenge targets. So far it has worked well for me.

Zack, the difference between 15 and 20 is well under an inch and yes that is the average for SC (actually the farthest is the big stop plate in Speed Option at 35 yards so a 17 yard zero also works well). I used to set mine up based on the steel plate distance used at my first club, the Monocacy Pistol Club's Speed Steel monthly match (15-17 yards). So far that has worked although one rifle stage at the 2014 NSSF had pairs of plates at different distances and the longest was around 35 yards so just to be safe I held a little off-center higher, mainly because I did not measure the size of the plates before the match.

A would start with a zero in the 15 to 20 yard range and then check it at 35. If you don't like the results at 35, make adjustments and then see where you are at the closer distances. I think you will be happy with the 17+-yard zero. Just go test it and find out what you like best.

• 1 month later...

50yrds zero w/40gr blazer

7yrds - 2.5" low

11yrdr - 2.5" low

20yards - 1" low

25yards -0"

40yrds - 0"

50yrds - 0"

75yrds 1.5" low

100yrds - 3" low

Good basic info. What was the offset between the center of your optic and your bore?

That is the spread I expected to see. For NSSF or SCSA I consider a 25 yard zero as too long. A 20 yard zero will give you about 1" low at 35 yards and 1.5" low at 7 yards. A 17 yard zero will make both 7 and 35 yards about 1.25" low. That is the optimum. Of course in some other type of steel event your min and max may be different.

I shoot a lot more 3Gun than Rimfire, but I do use my rimfire for matches where I will shoot no further than 25 and some out to 150.

Running a 17/100 zero makes the most sense for what I do. 11" of hold at 150, about 2" high from 40-80. I really only have to think12 o'clock hold from 120 to 150 yards and 6 o'clock hold from 40 to 80 yards.

50yrds zero w/40gr blazer

7yrds - 2.5" low

11yrdr - 2.5" low

20yards - 1" low

25yards -0"

40yrds - 0"

50yrds - 0"

75yrds 1.5" low

100yrds - 3" low

Good basic info. What was the offset between the center of your optic and your bore?
It is a Fastfire III in a Burris F3 mount on a m&p15-22. I think the standard ar height. Edited by echotango