Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the .22 conversion reliable?

aceinyerface

I think you are right. The issue may be the lead fouling the throat also. I am going to go over it to make sure it is not drag.

With the numbers of rounds fired, any chance a fresh recoil spring is needed?

I have three mags with the red follower, all have the same issue with lead fouling the throat. This issue just started in the last 500 rounds.

I think you are right. The issue may be the lead fouling the throat also. I am going to go over it to make sure it is not drag.

With the numbers of rounds fired, any chance a fresh recoil spring is needed?

I have three mags with the red follower, all have the same issue with lead fouling the throat. This issue just started in the last 500 rounds.

I found that my feed ramp on the barrel had two little burrs that were grabbing any lead they could off the ammo as it was loading... It was a little worse than yours I was getting about 5 shots out before I would have a failure to feed. 30 seconds with a hone and I had that issue fixed, then I noticed that the slide was digging into the sear, and the back side of the slide was hanging up on the decocking hammer... So I made the firing pin block fit the frame better.

PICT0215.jpg

Here's a pic of the 22 mag next to a large frame k9 mag. With and without the metal clip.

20141229_131254-1-1.jpg

20141229_131429-1.jpg

Without the clip they lock in like they should. Unfortunately only one of the three mags I have is reliable. This is a large frame conversion on my witness elite match.

The other two mags FTE 1-3 rounds per mag. And the slide gets stuck back like slide lock but further forward 1-3 round per mag.

Edited by hondakilla98

I will take a look at these two issues. All three of my mags are doing this.

There was an issue when the gun was new. First time at the range fter installing the 22 slide, inserted and it would not frop out. It would move down about a 1/4" and stop.

Once home I worked it and it finally came out. Reinstalled and had the same issue. Sent it back and itreturned fixed. The problem was described as a rough surface in the magwell. The 9mm slide and mags worked fine, but those are not plastic mags.

• 1 month later...

I didn't remove those clips. What is probably making the slide slow down is the ejector nub on the mag dragging on the slide. I filed down that ejector a tiny bit until it stopped dragging and side then my gun has ran over 3000 rounds with 0 issues.

Edited by Nealio

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like my 22 conversion on the Match, but get a lot of light strikes. Manually re- cocking sets the round off on the second hit.

Any advice?

What weight hammer spring? You also might need to polish the firing pin block.

I ran a 16 since that is what I had (1 coil removed). With my extended firing pin I made I could get a clipped 14 to be fairly reliable, but the chamber would get all gunked up from (I assume) coming out of battery too soon. Once I bit the bullet and went with that clipped 16 it ran literally flawless.

• 2 months later...

After switching to an 18lb hammer spring, the 22 conversion is now super reliable. It will do bill drills all day without hiccup. Now if only the 22lr primers would be that consistent. On an SA Match, the higher spring weight isn't an issue.
Thanks Nealio

Edited by AlphaSeeker

I love my Ruger/Volquartsen MKIII for steel because of it's reliability, but I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger (sorry about that) on a witness .22 conversion because I really like the way my witnesses feel in my hand. I just point and shoot.

The first witness I bought was a witness 9mm and .22 combo (back when they still sold it) but I love the thing! I shot steel challenge and it took some magazine work and decent ammo but I got it to run great. I love the thing. It was finicky at first but it runs well and is a pleasure to shoot.

• 1 year later...

I just started out with a new 22lr conversion on my Elite Limited large frame.   I noticed that I had to remove the magwell to get the mags to fit.  Has anyone out there trimmed the baseplate to fit with a magwell?  I'm getting intermittent light strikes, and I am using the factory limited hammer spring.  This seems to happen a lot with Winchester ammo.   The extractor also does not seem to grab well enough.  When I try to clear a live round from a light strike the extractor is almost always not able to pull it out.  It seems to not have any problem in pulling out fired casings, but i'm sure that it is just barely grabbing on to the rims.  The slide has a very noticeable drag for the last 1/3 of slide travel, so it looks like I'll need to do some polishing.   

The top of the mags may be dragging on the bottom of the slide. Inspect the mag closely, insert and while pressing down hard on the slide, rack it a lot. Then inspect for shiny spots. You may need to sand the mag to eliminate the drag.

The firing pins in the 22 top...not a fan. You may need to INCREASE the hammer spring to get reliable ignition.  Wolff has up to 22#.