Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super loads making major

jedmyers

My normal load is 8.6 of Silhouette on a 125 grain Zero or 124 grain Montana Gold either loaded to 1.235. I use Wichester or CCI small rifle primers with them. Fairly old and stable load. For a 115 start around 9.2 and work up. The 125 load gets me to about a 172 PF. Good Luck.

I've been doing some searching, looking for some load data for a 38 super. Everything I have found so far is fairly old. Does anyone have a good 38 super load using Silhouette powder? Thanks for your help.

You will find most super loads are going to be old because they are well established. Now 9MAJOR is a different story. Seems there is a new load found for it every week or so!!

The problem is that to give load data that is beyond the manufacture data sheet would open people to liability. IN addition with specific powder shortages it is hard to find what you need. My recommendation is to load some rounds at the top end of the manufacturers load sheet and then chromo it. Once you see where it puts you you can load 5 rounds each moving up a small amount at a time. To get Major I loaded 5 rounds each with .1 grain increases between sets until I made Major. You will find that just making 165 is not enough to run your gun the way you want. I have one open gun that I run around 185PF Although it makes a lot of noise it shoots very flat and clean.

It depends on your barrel. Most newer 38 super barrels are actually .355, older ones may be .356. Two ways to tell, slug the barrel and measure, or ask the smith who built it. I shoot .355 in mine. I've been told that when accuracy starts to degraden you can go to .356, then to .357 to extend barrel life....but I think I'll just buy a new barrel...