Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone running vv n340 for MAJOR in limited

jhugh4

Hey everyone,

Somewhat new to the forum and will be getting my STI Edge in a couple weeks. I'm trying to round up some input on the best powders for a Major PF load. I found a really good deal on vv n340 but have no experience with this particular powder. Do any of you run this powder? If so, how do you like it? And any suggested load data would be great.

Thanks for all the input in advance.

N340 is a slow, but wonderfully clean and consistent powder. If you have a really good deal, buy some. You'll like it. I use it with 180gr bullets and it feels like cheating, because it is so soft shooting. Expect to use more than VV says for the stated velocity. They were smoking something when they came up with their reloading tables.

• 1 month later...

Same load data as post #9 except I moved the COAL out to 1.200" just to see how much loading long would affect velocity.

Average velocity was 200FPS lower with high extreme spread.

I figured with an Edge you might load longer.

So far i'm really liking the n340. Its really clean and seems to shoot fairly soft, meters well (that says a lot coming from an RCBS pro 2000). I've tested 3-4 different loads and am settling for 5.3 gr n340, 180 gr BBI, OAL 1.850, PF 171. I might try and drop it into the 169 PF range but for now that will be my load. I also loaded some 180 gr xtreme FN and my velocities were a lot slower than the BBI. 5.3 gr with xtreme 180 was averaging around 875. I've made some more test loads with xtreme 180 but haven't shot them yet. Ill post the load data and results when I do.