Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accupoint

outerlimits

been trying to solve holdovers with an Accupoint on my AR. hypothetically, i have a solution that i'll try this weekend. works this way:

my AR is zeroed at 200yds. bullet drops 6 1/4" at 300, 13" at 350 and about 21" at 400. the reticle for the Accupoint is 4MOA at 100 yds. therefore, one would conclude it's 8MOA at 200, 12 MOA at 300 and 16MOA at 400yds. so, holding the top of the triangle on the top of a 12" plate at 300 should hit about dead center. for 350yds, i'm thinking the bottom of the triangle in the middle of the plate, and for 400, the bottom of the triangle on the top of the plate.

we'll see this weekend...

You are on track, I did this in Reno at the practice range during 3Gun Nats with my 18" JP barrel and Accupoint 1.25-4. I was on at 300, and was between the legs of the target at the remaining distances. I was able to walk the holdover up to those targets in the way you mention. I wish I would have thought to measure it by the reticle, that is clever.

Sorry to pick nits but don't confuse MOA and inches or it could bite you later.

reticle for the Accupoint is 4MOA at 100 yds. therefore, one would conclude it's 8MOA at 200, 12 MOA at 300 and 16MOA at 400yds

No, it's always 4 MOA. You can extrapolate that to inches, e.g., 16" @ 400 yards, but the angle remains the same.

ok, the range proves this will work (sorta). the extrapolation of MOA into reticle coverage at those distances appear to be accurate. application of the hypothesis is another story.

at 300 yds, holding the top of the triangle on top of a 12" plate got dead center hits, no problem. however, holding over on an object that is black is a bear, since those thin black lines coming from the bottom make it hard to discern the plate. if the plate is white, it's much easier. at 400 yds, holding the bottom of the triangle on top of the plate worked just fine, again, assuming you can see the plate.

bottom line, it's not easy to holdover with this scope. then again, not too many shots required past 300 yds. having said this, there are several this weekend at the area 2 3 gun. :angry:

What kind of ammo are you shooting that only drop's 6" at 300 with a 200 zero? Every one I ever shot droped about 10-11 inches. I need to try your ammo. My 55gr. @ 3050 drops about 10".

benny, dunno if it's magic, but the loads are 27.2 of varget, 55 gr hornady's going about 3240 out of a 20" barrel. consistently drops 6 3/4-7" at 300 yds (with a 200 yd zero). when i do 68 grain, they drop 8 1/2" to 9" or so.