Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power X-Calibur: range reports

NicVerAZ

The backstraps dont really change the trigger reach unless you're plopping on the large backstrap.

What the backstraps DO alter is the angle at which your finger interacts with the trigger.

I can try to measure my gun at some point today.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cleaned my X-cal, lubed appropriately (including the breechface), removed and cleaned the extractor. I then took a load right at 130 PF to the range and had 1 stovepipe out of 150 rounds.

I upped the charge by .2gr. One stovepipe this trip out of about 100 rounds. Recoil was pretty harsh on this load - it was definitely pushing hard enough to fully cycle the gun.

Any ideas?

Did you change the recoil spring?

I cleaned my X-cal, lubed appropriately (including the breechface), removed and cleaned the extractor. I then took a load right at 130 PF to the range and had 1 stovepipe out of 150 rounds.

I upped the charge by .2gr. One stovepipe this trip out of about 100 rounds. Recoil was pretty harsh on this load - it was definitely pushing hard enough to fully cycle the gun.

Any ideas?

Anyone thats interested I found this deal on slickguns.com X-Cal for $794 and it looks like they have 14 in stock.

http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.grand-power-x-calibur-9mm-blue-sada-2-15rd

No affiliation and never ordered from them before.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by Styer

• 3 weeks later...

I had few too many misfires on my XTrim. Especially with CCI and S&B primers. I took fireing pin out as well as fireing pin from Xcaliber to compare. I was expecting same pins. XTrim is different and also few thousands shorter. I've swaped them out and misfires are almost non existent with same primers. I guess I'm ordering anothe xcal fireing pin. But the one in the picture on eagle imports website , doesn't look like xcal fireing pin. Looks like one from XTrim. .??

• 2 weeks later...

The backstraps dont really change the trigger reach unless you're plopping on the large backstrap.

What the backstraps DO alter is the angle at which your finger interacts with the trigger.

I can try to measure my gun at some point today.

Did you get a chance to measure the trigger reach length? Thanks.

So I have been looking to buy one of these for a while but I really dont like buying something without shooting it first. Does anyone that has one of these live in the Fayettville NC area and mind if I put some rounds through it at the range? I am stuck between this the EAA Match Elite and the M&P pro (I know odd ball at the end) I have shot a lower level witness and a M&P but I don't want to decide until I get the chance to try the GP. Anyone think that you can help?

I'm in Morrisville, but I only have the P11 so far. Looking to get an excal soon, next couple of months maybe. If you want to try what I got you are welcome.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

If anyone is interested I'll be selling my X-Caliber. I love this gun but selling since I can't suppress it. If anyone is interested send me a PM

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys was looking at a block for my lefty son but came across this pistol. Has the mk2 got better rear sights? Also can you run recoil springs from other pistols? We use a low PF so if you can use say a 1911 or CZ style Spring I can tune it to suit.

How accurate would it be at 50yrds?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I was looking for loading DATA for a XCAL jand found this thread. I have read all the 8 pages.

I own 3 Grand Powers, 2 xcals and 1 xtrim.

One of the xcals has been recently sold.

First X cal was an older one that I found at a good price, it was a mk12, bought it new.

I could not figure out what the problem was with that gun, had so many FTE that I lost count.

After chatting with Canuck223 by email, the gun was sent to him and I run the 21 coils recoil spring for about 1.000 rounds. The spring was actually a 23 coil spring shortened to 21 coils and my loads were TITEGROUP 3.6.

The FTE continued even when loading TITE at max. I was getting discouraged and lost trust in the gun a little over this period of time...

Things started to run better from there, I went from 1 FTE every 10 rounds to one every 60-100 rounds. At one point, things stabilized.

I was reluctant to selling the gun (although I thought about hundred of times due to its poor performance) but I continued shooting it and I recently purchased a Xtrim, gun is shooting low and to the left and had to play with the sights a bit to get the gun shooting straight. Waiting to sort out a factory original front fiber optic from Grand Power wit the right height. I am getting light primer strikes with the Xtrim too and after reading this thread I see other people had the same issues. But let's leave that for another thread.

My second Xcal is just like the first one, I am shooting 3.4 gr of Tite now and it is just FTE galore, going to load them up back to 3.6 and shoot 300-600 rounds to brake it in. Nothing new to report at this point, but one thing is consistent in this platform, it requires a brake in, proper lubing and lots of cleaning in the first 2.000 rounds.

Another problem I had with my first MK12 x cal was that the magazines were not dropping free reliably (it seems that the grip was thicker).

My friend and I bought 2 xcals, 2 serial numbers apart and they both suffer from this issue. I believe this is not a issue in newer GRAND POWERS as I do not have this issue in the new Xcal or the X trim.

Something that really bothers my OCD is the design change for the REAR SIGHT in the newer XCALS and I believe the Kensington Elliason is no longer compatible with the newer XCAL.

For reference, the sights in the link below will not work with the last batch of XCAL for several reasons:

- Different thread for locking screw

- Different shape (square vs round at the front)

- Different locking roll pin

http://www.amazon.com/KENSIGHT-Adjustable-Elliason-Square-Serrated/dp/B005FGR8JK

Not sure why GP decided to change the shape of the sights completely, but it looks different enough to think that are now nearly 0 aftermarket sights compatible with the newer Grand Powers.

With all that being said, I did really like the platform enough to buy 2 guns (sold one of the xcals) and figure out the bugs which I am still working through, and although It has been the most challenging platform to start shooting BUG FREE right out of the box, I still want to make it work for me because it is a really nice, simple, accurate gun.

Just wished it was BUG FREE right out of the box, had better instructions for the different recoil springs and that they kept the same sights across the different versions of the gun as it evolves.

Cheers and looking forward to visiting this thread.

Edited by Avenida

I feel your pain My Xcal had problems going into battery ,but looks like I got that worked out with reloads and some breaking in period .My Xtrim was 100% from the box , just had to mess with thesights to get it to shoot straight

When I took fireing pin out of xtrim and xcal , turns out they are not the same.Xcal is few thousands longer and doesn't have notch for FPB and is more reliable with harder primers .With federal primers , both guns are 100%