Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grand Power X-Calibur: range reports

NicVerAZ

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, matteekay said:

I've been looking at these guys a bit. One question: don't double-to-singles have to start with the hammer down for USPSA Production? Does the X-Calibur have a decocker?

I'm a revo guy so I'm used to those goofy commands like "cylinder closed" - I don't know how the bottom feeders do it, lol.

yes you start with hammer down. No deckocker on Xcalibur , you have to manually put hammer down

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have shot my X-cal at several local matches. Really fun gun to shoot and for me, makes me look a bit better than I actually am:) 

One thing I did notice, you definitely need to lube the gun more than your typical Glock.  I went a few hundred rounds between lubing it and started to get failure to eject malfunctions.  Little bit of Mobile 1 on the rotating contact parts of the barrel and breech face (not sure that's necessary is it probably burns off very quickly) and it was good to go.

As I purchased this pistol used, I decided to order a set of springs to do a tune-up in the coming weeks. The prices and shipping from Eagle were not half bad; not sure if there's any other place to order replacement parts for this, here in the US.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 8:14 PM, valerko said:

so , how do I go about putting magwell on this thing? I have few machine shops around , but have no clue where to start 

If we all bug Scott at Springer precision maybe we'll got one.

He has to know it is worth his time to create and make them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2017 at 10:14 PM, valerko said:

so , how do I go about putting magwell on this thing? I have few machine shops around , but have no clue where to start 

My best guess has been sacrificing a backstrap to which you permanently attach a magwell, perhaps with a set screw on the front of the frame somewhere to tension it? I haven't been terribly bothered about it, because minor PF Limited seems like a recipe for annoyance.

Speaking of annoyance, has anyone looked into finding a slightly less curved trigger for these things? The lack of space between the front of the trigger guard and the frontmost part of the trigger is annoying in double action, and there seems like there should still be room behind the trigger to fully pull it, even without quite as strong a curve to the trigger itself.

1 hour ago, Gmofftarki said:

My best guess has been sacrificing a backstrap to which you permanently attach a magwell, perhaps with a set screw on the front of the frame somewhere to tension it? I haven't been terribly bothered about it, because minor PF Limited seems like a recipe for annoyance.

Speaking of annoyance, has anyone looked into finding a slightly less curved trigger for these things? The lack of space between the front of the trigger guard and the frontmost part of the trigger is annoying in double action, and there seems like there should still be room behind the trigger to fully pull it, even without quite as strong a curve to the trigger itself.

Changing the trigger would be illegal for production as well as CO. That said a certain nordic shooter / gunsmith had that as a project but I don't think the market ever made it worth it tbh.

Edited by NicVerAZ

On 7/20/2017 at 2:03 AM, NicVerAZ said:

Changing the trigger would be illegal for production as well as CO. That said a certain nordic shooter / gunsmith had that as a project but I don't think the market ever made it worth it tbh.

Oh, I didn't even think of that, since I'm very new to this stuff. So... we need to convince Grand Power it's in their interest to make 2000 copies of another version of the k100 with a less curved trigger. What with the bull barrel version being a thing, it might not be impossible, right? Also, thank you for pointing out that you can swap the offside safety to the less protrusive version (as well as that not doing so makes the gun illegal for Production). That solved a problem I was having wherein I somehow managed to activate the safety in the middle of a string of fire with the top of my trigger finger, leading to much confusion.

Couple questions:

1. During my Thursday match, my x-cal decided randomly to stop closing the slide upon mag insertion. Cleaning the gun thoroughly  after the match fixed the "problem" (scarequotes because S&W spent a lot of money to get rid of that behavior in the M&P2.0 and the TTAG review of the x-cal called it the one thing he found unacceptable about the pistol), but I'm really curious where the dirt intruded that caused the problem in the first place. One thing that I did notice was that there was an awful lot of carbon in the frame, caked onto the trigger bar pin (I think... it's the pin that moves forward as the trigger is depressed in double action), but I can't see how that would affect the slide catch?

2. Does the K22 X-trim fit the same holster as the X-Calibur? My current holster is the PDR-Pro from DoubleAlpha, if that makes a difference. How similar are the triggers between the two?

Edited by Gmofftarki

Do you mean a lack of auto forwarding? It is not something you rely on. Unless the CoF causes you to go into slide lock, or you are shooting IDPA, you should avoid slide lock as much as possible.

1 hour ago, NicVerAZ said:

Do you mean a lack of auto forwarding? It is not something you rely on. Unless the CoF causes you to go into slide lock, or you are shooting IDPA, you should avoid slide lock as much as possible.

Yeah, to that point, it had been 100% reliable about closing the slide when I inserted a fresh mag. I agree that it's not something upon which I should rely, but I was really expecting the slide to close for me when I incidentally went into slidelock, and was very surprised when it didn't work out that way, wasting a few deciseconds of time on an already embarrassing performance.

• 7 months later...

After months of too much research I decided to take a chance with the Grand Power X-Calibur and here are my impressions from my first time out. This gun is a way better shooter than I am. It's accuracy is the best I've shot outside of a Colt Gold Cup that had hours of smith work to it. It feels really comfortable to pick up targets in transition. The sight is not as good as the X-5 but still very impressive. The backstraps allow for my big hands to have a nice beefy grip to hold onto. That trigger is crisp and smooth and one of the most impressive pulls I've experienced out of the box. I still need to strap it in and sight it in because it was shooting consistently high left but overall I was incredibly impressed. I put around 200 rounds through it last night and I only stopped there because I didn't bring any more ammo. The thing I thought was most impressive was that I was able to go through the pie rack multiple times without missing and as someone new to transition pistol shooting that was a major thing for me. I'm excited to get a few thousand rounds behind this gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised more American shooters don't shoot the X-Cal.  It really is a fantastic shooter for not much more money than a G34 with fiber optic sights.  But definitely more precise shooting with a WAAAY better trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

I think us American shooters are a nervous bunch when it comes to new products.  Lots of things have been promised by lots of companies over the last decade or two and most have fallen well short.  Grand Power has a lot of good things going for them for sure (great trigger, good ergonomics, good sights) but has a few things working against them (hard to find/expensive mags, very little aftermarket support, slick polymer, lower capacity than many guns of the same size, more involved takedown).  Couple that with a "unique" operating system and it becomes a crap shoot for many that just isn't worth it. Most would rather just play it safe and buy a Glock.  

I hope Grand Power corrects some of those issues with a Gen 2 and gets aggressive.  I think they've find a great niche.  Outside of Tango and CZ (which are typically pricier) there aren't many good DA/SA options.  I'm a fan.... But I shoot CZ

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, newbie here, I bought a X-Calibur 3 months ago and it's becoming my favorite pistol to shoot at the range. I've put over two thousand rounds through it and not a single failure. It shoots flat and the trigger is better than my Q5. It's also amazing how light the slide is. However, one issue I have is that it shoots consistently left about 1-2 inches (from factory and after aligned using bore alignment laser). I've asked the RO at my range to shoot it and he was also getting consistent group 1-2 inches to the left. I shoot Lawman 124gr and tried the other included coil spring but made no difference. Finally I adjusted the rear sight (two complete turns) and now I can hit bullseye consistently from 7 yards. So is this normal with the x-calibur and is it a problem that my sight has to be adjusted noticeably to the right? The second issue with the x-calibur is as of June 2018 I can't find 15rd mags anywhere!

On 6/24/2018 at 7:40 PM, galdor said:

one issue I have is that it shoots consistently left

Seems you have the Pelosi edition.  Just be thankful that you don't have the 'Burn edition' as that one hits farther left! ?

If it helps, my X-cal hits point of aim and  like you mentioned is extremely flat shooting.

13 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Seems you have the Pelosi edition.  Just be thankful that you don't have the 'Burn edition' as that one hits farther left! ?

If it helps, my X-cal hits point of aim and  like you mentioned is extremely flat shooting.

Ha! That's funny.

I don't have the same problem with my Walther Q5 or CZ Shadow 2. They align perfectly with the laser bore sight alignment. It's just I practice dry fire with iTarget laser and it doesn't work with the X-calibur because my sights are always off.

I would like to know what ammo and which recoil spring everyone is using with their x-calibur.

thanks

13 hours ago, P.E. Kelley said:

115 Federal American Eagle and the gun is...all Stock. (well I did widen the rear sight notch a few thousandths)

Thanks Patrick! Love your videos. I bought the Q100 based on your review. One funky trigger to get used to. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 2:03 AM, NicVerAZ said:

You need to update yourself on the rules. Stop with the outdated, incorrect ones.

@Gmofftarki, you can run any trigger shoe your heart desires. As of February’s BOD meeting, you can run a hot pink aftermarket trigger, hammer, and safety in Production. You can also grind the finger grooves off your Glock-type guns, and undercut the trigger guard.

Those rules took effect 3 months ago.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/24/2018 at 7:29 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

You need to update yourself on the rules. Stop with the outdated, incorrect ones.

@Gmofftarki, you can run any trigger shoe your heart desires. As of February’s BOD meeting, you can run a hot pink aftermarket trigger, hammer, and safety in Production. You can also grind the finger grooves off your Glock-type guns, and undercut the trigger guard.

Those rules took effect 3 months ago.

...and that post is from one year ago ;) .