Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope mounting recomendations

lppd4

I put my new Steiner scope on my Remington 700 using DNZ game reaper mounts. This combo puts the scope about 2" to far back. I'm not sure extended rings give me enough forward movement. Will a picatinny rail and rings set my scope to high? Any other suggestions?

post-1258-0-43574200-1419005825_thumb.jp

That's the problem with those one piece set ups. You should have no problem getting a standard picatinny rail and ring set up to match that height. Look at Seekins Precision rings and bases. They work great.

Thanks for the info Rob, I remounted the scope on my rifle using a picatinny rail and some medium height Nightforce rings and had stashed away. I was able to move scope 1.5-2 inches forward and the height is just right. I'm anxious to use it on some long range hog hunting

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, You need an extended picatinny rail set to your scope weight. You are looking for one that's 2-3" longer (forward direction) then the receiver. That will move the scope forward. You will also need new rings as low as you can go. Depending on your application a +10 or 20 MOA base would be a good idea too. There are many options out there. I still like the EGW bases and Leupold QRW lings.

Edited by dauntedfuture

• 2 weeks later...

Spuhr and reasonable priced don't go in the same sentence ;) One piece set ups like the Spuhr come with their own problems as in ring placement on the scope and sometimes the saddle will contact. Also they are usually higher than standard rings due to their construction so they can cause cheek weld problems.

That's ok, I know a lot of very talented long range shooters who love them. I would buy it, except I have a lesson this week, and am shooting at Peacemaker this weekend. Gas food hotels ammo, not to mention that the wife will go shopping, so my wallet will be screaming at me by the end of the weekend!