Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand checkering front strap....?

shel6977

No issues with my files, one side on my checkering file i can feel is duller, and my riffler that I use the most is getting dull. But I think this is my 6th front strap with those files.

I think I could easily do 3 or 4 more front straps with the checkering file, I need another riffler.

But for less than $100, I got 6 complete front straps, that's less than $20 a piece for tooling. Better than $250+ shipping and 6+ month wait to have it done by someone.

And besides, grip tape belongs on skateboards and plastic guns... not 1911s.

Well I would agree on skateboard tape not belonging on a 1911 just thought I would ask. I figure if I screw it up the checkering that bad, then I would use grip tape.

I will press on practicing when my practice frame gets here and then will move onto the real one.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word of advice, don't try to do a complete one in one sitting, especially your first. Your hands will be tired, your eyes will be fuzzy, your back and neck will probably ache from looking down for so long.

I had about 7 hours into checkering on the one I did yesterday.

Word of advice, don't try to do a complete one in one sitting, especially your first. Your hands will be tired, your eyes will be fuzzy, your back and neck will probably ache from looking down for so long.

I had about 7 hours into checkering on the one I did yesterday.

I learned this practicing on some bar stock. I'm thinking it will be about 3 days when it's all said and done when I get up the nerve to do it.

Labour of Love, that is. Nice looking work, and a great looking shop!! :cheers:

KneelingAtlas - I don't think it is especially hard, but it is tedious.

edit to add for KA: not sure I would want to do this to a Tanfo with the shaped front strap.

Edited by Bamboo

Thanks guys. It's not hard at all, just takes a lot of patience. The hardest part is starting the lines. The horizontals aren't bad, but the verticals are kind of a pain in the butt. After the lines are started the file sits in established lines. Every time I do one I think about throwing it in the mill to get my first vertical line, but I have actually done it yet.

I have never thought about lightening a frame, only a slide.

Once I had a taste of a light Open gun I couldn't get enough :wub:

While I prefer my CZ75 pattern pistols to the 2011s, they have a steel grip which puts them at a ~6oz disadvantage. My goal weight is 40oz with at least a 5" barrel and I think I can get there with my CZ75SA based Open gun equipped with a Ti comp, a lightened slide and maybe a few holes in the frame :devil:

I have never thought about lightening a frame, only a slide.

Once I had a taste of a light Open gun I couldn't get enough :wub:

While I prefer my CZ75 pattern pistols to the 2011s, they have a steel grip which puts them at a ~6oz disadvantage. My goal weight is 40oz with at least a 5" barrel and I think I can get there with my CZ75SA based Open gun equipped with a Ti comp, a lightened slide and maybe a few holes in the frame :devil:

The only thought I have given to open is "I can't afford to play that game". I will stay in Lim10 and Single Stack for a while then I might build a 2011 for limited. I kind of like pretending I line up sights.

• 4 years later...
On 12/23/2014 at 9:50 AM, Nickb45 said:

Work shop... My second home, although I probably spend more time here than I do at home.

Hello this was posted since 2014. I was wondering if you do hand-checkering of my Cz tactical sports grip. Thanks