Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand checkering front strap....?

shel6977

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my files from brownells. Here is a link to the rifflers I use. I have both medium and fine.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/fine-file-sku080648604-701-2881.aspx?sku=080648604

If anyone is interested in a jig like the one I made for holding the frame, I could do up a few more them.

I got my files from brownells. Here is a link to the rifflers I use. I have both medium and fine.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/fine-file-sku080648604-701-2881.aspx?sku=080648604

If anyone is interested in a jig like the one I made for holding the frame, I could do up a few more them.

I might be interested

If you come up with a price I'd probably be interested. Shoot me a pm when you get time.

Nickb45

I am interested in your holding fixture. It is much better than what I have right now.

I would be very interested in a file guide that worked with it to get the base lines established. (I tried the aluminum fixture brownells sells without success)

-john

Edited by practical_man

Nickb45

I am interested in your holding fixture. It is much better than what I have right now.

I would be very interested in a file guide that worked with it to get the base lines established. (I tried the aluminum fixture brownells sells without success)

-john

Pm sent.

I have had good luck with the power customs guide that I posted a link to. I use a riffler to get the line started, it was too hard to get the pattern file flat and in the same spot when starting.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how hard a investment cast stainless is versus stainless bar stock? I've been doing some practicing on aluminum square stock first then steel square stock then aluminum and steel 3/4" round stock and that went ok so I proceeded to 3/4" round stainless and boy that was miserable. I'm assuming investment cast, which I believe Ruger 1911s are, have to be softer and easier to work with than straight stainless. Is this correct or is it just as hard?

My Ruger frame wasn't too bad. I didn't practice on any bar stock, I just used the Caspian practice frame then went onto the real deal.

Make sure you keep your file clean and chalked. I chalk mine after every 10 strokes or so.

Stainless steel does not have the range of hardness that carbon steel does. All stainless starts out relatively hard and some stainless can be hardened a bit further by heat treatment.

I suspect all stainless is going to be hard work...

• 4 weeks later...

My Ruger frame wasn't too bad. I didn't practice on any bar stock, I just used the Caspian practice frame then went onto the real deal.

Make sure you keep your file clean and chalked. I chalk mine after every 10 strokes or so.

Sorry for the delay on this thread. I will order a practice frame from caspian this week but was wondering if you got the carbon frame or the stainless frame to practice on from caspian?

If you think about it, I'm really interested in seeing how you do the first cut to put a wire into that acts as your vertical stop. Come to think of it, I'm interested to see it all...

After I do my horizontals I usually run a round file in the top line to give it a good boarder and a place to put the wire.

I put my GoPro on the charger so I will get a few videos and/or time lapse.

I start off by filing the front strap, it shows any high/low places.

65E21615-9DA7-43D1-A990-771500A2FCE4_zps

Then I do the "shoe shine" method with some emery cloth to clean everything up.

38EBDB7A-B167-42F6-A8A4-412D6E993B3D_zps

Using the power customs guide I start my horizontals (I should have a video tomorrow)

BA72272C-2CB6-4ED2-AF40-64D48A066DBD_zps

A1FC41C6-448A-475B-B6A1-8C22A75778C7_zps

Then I run down the rest of the front strap.

626B994B-D137-4263-89E8-10AC7BC20355_zps

I go pretty deep with the checkering file so I don't have as much work to do with the riffler

A58060C5-D32A-4E76-B82A-E07AE27CFE2F_zps

This is where I use a round needle file to create the top boarder.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/nicksb45/1911s/5C3E4013-8454-4B81-829D-62675E582578_zpswcjiejoc.jpg

Edited by Nickb45

I use the same guide to start the verticals. I also use the riffler to start the first line.

4AF5FFCC-4D47-4E13-85E5-6E69EB8AA720_zps

With the file set in the corner it's easier for me to keep the line straight.

94D9FC9B-35A2-4CDB-9422-ABAB2187930A_zps

3FFCDB0B-A501-4D8D-A94B-4AE2AEA79FF7_zps

This is probably the hardest and most important line. After its established I start with the checkering file again. The verticals go a lot faster than the horizontals.

A4F16E1E-2048-4937-9339-6F7DA4C30703_zps

I didn't use the wire for a stop this time, with the undercut I like to file it back a little so the checkering is higher.

BCD6075A-199E-44C9-ABFC-32C590B70D5B_zps

I will finish it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the pictures and I'm excited to see the video. I was talking to a gunsmith today and was advised on using grip tape as opposed to hand checkering on my own due to the silica in cast receivers that tear up checkering files. Did you have any issues with this when you did your Ruger frame?

No issues with my files, one side on my checkering file i can feel is duller, and my riffler that I use the most is getting dull. But I think this is my 6th front strap with those files.

I think I could easily do 3 or 4 more front straps with the checkering file, I need another riffler.

But for less than $100, I got 6 complete front straps, that's less than $20 a piece for tooling. Better than $250+ shipping and 6+ month wait to have it done by someone.

And besides, grip tape belongs on skateboards and plastic guns... not 1911s.

Edited by Nickb45