Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Second El Prez

AikiDale

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to nobody having yet done one...

The 4 second all alpha el prez has been the holy grail for me for the last couple of years.

If I had been trying to do a 3 with any hits on paper, we'd be watching the video, not arguing its relevance. :) :) :)

Nobody has done a 3 because nobody got a fire in their belly to do one. (until now)

I have done 100,000 dry el prezzes in dry fire, and I chose that drill because it contained all the things I wanted to improve:

100,000 turns from surrender

100,000 draws from a turn

100,000 reloads

1,200,000 splits

400,000 transitions

and last bit not least, 100,000 el prezzes :)

But I also did 27 other drills every night, many with field courses and "match skills" in mind.

You don't need to remind Jake and I that we haven't won many major matches. Believe me, we know. :)

But that is an issue of experience, confidence, and mental endurance at the match.

Well for Jake, he lost a couple years with that brown belt. :) :)

In some ways, having advanced skills can make the transition to "major match winner" harder.

(I also think we saw so many juniors in the open top 16 because nobody ever told them that big matches are stressful. :) Brad Balsley just wandered around the match with his dad, shooting stages that were open when he could find them!)

ramble over, back on topic.

I sincerely appreciate the skepticism here, as it caused me to end my winter break early and get back in the basement. (that dry 2.8 was my first night back in the dry fire saddle after 3.5 weeks in Kansas, thanks to this discussion)

It also motivated me to take the new XD across town in rush hour to shoot a bowling pin match, just to see how the gun behaved.

One of my fave Lanny Bassham quotes: You can have anything you desire, or you wouldn't desire it.

The snow is melting, the sun is shining, and it's only a matter of time.

Respectfully,

SA

one more thing. i understand fully the hard work it takes to get somewhere and achieve something. in 1985 the motorcycle accident that almost killed me, left me with my right arm broken in 6 places, a broken left knee cap and a fractured skull. being a right handed shooter i thought i would never use that arm again. through months of hard work and physical therapy i got most of the use of my right arm back. i may be stuck in "A" class forever because of some of the limited range of motion but i'm still havin' fun. so if it sounded like i was being critical of other shooters, that wasn't my intention.

Chuck,

You don't want Nicole. You don't have that burning desire. Heck, I'll bet you can't even quote me some lines from her recent interview in "a magazine" without going and looking them up. lol :)

(But, I do think you probably know which magazine she was in.)

Just fun. lol

Best of luck you guys :)

:rolleyes:

I remember when I thought a sub .6 draw (3 meters any hit) was imposible (for me) and one day I hit 3 .5+ in a row. I haven't worried about my draw since that day. I'll take a 1 second match draw and live with it, because that isn't where matches are won.

I personally think no one will ever hit 3 seconds with the el prez, but not beacuse of lack of effort or will. I know what it takes to do a .8 draw is, a .8 reload, .and .14 splits aren't special, but putting them on paper together at 10 yards...

I've wasted tens of thousands of rounds in a quest for "match" speed, and when I found it was not where I was looking.

The quest for an "impossible goal" can reveal a lot to the questor so knock yourself out and post the vid when you do it :)

I will not gloat when I do it, nor will I say I told you so.

Jake:

You are a better man than I am. If I ripped off a three second El Pres. I would take out an ad in Front Sight. :D

You do realize this issue is a temperament thing right? That's to say, I think hell would freeze over before I could do it but that's my hang up. I am also assuming that if Todd can't do it, neither can anyone else. Still, deep down inside I am rooting for you (Steve too) and I would really like to see both of you accomplish the task. I hate eating crow, but in this case it would go down pretty easily.

Neither is better than the other, I feel that they both have the capabilities to do a sub 3 drill...it just depends on which one gets all the stars to align first....you have to do as Steve said, your best draw, best reload and best transitions...tough to do all three in super fast mode.. B)

I'll have a few videos tomorrow of some draws, reloads, and el prez's. If I can find a kind soul to host them (:)), anyone can take a look and critique me as much as they want.

Jake, I have yet to meet ya and look forward to it at Space City. I would be happy to host videos for you. Drop me an email sniper_le@yahoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how I missed this thread for almost a month, but miss it I did.

I voted for Jake, cause youth always win. Now if the poll was which one would a major match first, it woulda been Steve! Cause sometimes, old can outlast youth (ask TGO - LOL!)

Jake - when you get your videos, send them to me and I'll post them on Steve's website for ya - that way when he hits it too, they'll be together :)