Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pro match .40 magazine

doctordan70s

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

762rocstarr,

When I look at my Pro Match, the bottom of the dustcover is perfectly square. On the Tactical models the outside edges of the dustcover are milled off more. Thats why I didnt order it right off. Not to seem ungrateful in anyway for the info, but are you sure the "Rock Island Tactical 2011" offering from Bladetech will work? They also have the "RIA 2011 SS Tactical .45" and the "2011 Tactical Hi Cap 9mm". Nothing else for this pistol has been easy to find so being frustrated about this shouldn't surprise me :D

Thank you for the info!

Joe

I received my p16 para MEC Gar mags a few days ago, they fit very tight in the gun. The mags measured .006/.008 wider front to back. I tried working them down with a soft face mallet, but about the time I got it to fit it split the weld on the back of the mag. I ended up working down the inner walls of the magwell with a dremal tool. I had to remove material from the front side of the inner magwell. It's time consuming but now any mag will fit great and drop free.

OPENB and others...........would you hesitate to run, jump, and climb in a 3Gun match with your Pro Match in a Bladetech Edge holster? Any truth to the theory that it will hold a Pro Match less securely due to the difference in the trigger guard shape? Or is it secure with tension on the flats of the slide and dust cover? A rep from a very popular retailer that serves the USPSA community has reccomended the Bladetech for the Para due to the same shaped trigger guard. Any thought on that?

I have seen too many guys go home early for dropping pistols. Most notably 2 guys on the same stage in Vegas. This, after flying across the country and spending a load of $$$$ on hotels and car rentals. I love this pistol but I am sick of cobbling together pieces and parts for holsters and magazines for it. Thank you guys for any and all of your input on holsters and mags.

Joe

With my BladeTech, if I tighten the tension screw, it squeezes down tightly on the slide/frame and holds in the gun. I don't think a regular Para holster would work because of the long dust cover I have an older DOH for a Gov't Model that I used for a Para LDA P18, and it definitely won't hold my RIA Pro Match.

If you look at the most recent USPSA mag with Nils on the cover, the front of his M2i McLearn pistol has a full length square dust cover. Looks very much similar to the RIA 1911A2 FS .40 pro match. If I see him or Brett Russo on Tuesday or next Saturday I will talk to them about what blade tech fits.

Rob had one of his Springfield wide bodies out this past Tuesday but it didn't have a full dust cover. When I see him I will ask for his Safariland recommendation. There are holsters out there that fit this pistol.

Reliable magazines is a greater concern for me.

Edit - the pistol and blade tech holster are posted on M2i custom guns facebook page. I don't know how to link the pic or page.

Edited by 2ndtimearound

Stock STI & old style SV work in mine with no mods. Add the guts & pads of your choice to get desired capacity. Easy peasy. I wasted a lot of time on mags when it was really that simple.

Edited by OPENB

Stock STI & old style SV work in mine with no mods. Add the guts & pads of your choice to get desired capacity. Easy peasy. I wasted a lot of time on mags when it was really that simple.

Agreed, looks like we have been the crash test dummies on these lol

• 2 weeks later...

I use stock STI 140mm mags and all 3 work flawlessly. I did change the magazine release button to the Dawson Precision Posi-Lok and locks and drops the mags with no problem. Also prevents the magazine lips to go up too far and hit the ejector. I will be upgrading to Grams or TTI guts to get 20+ rounds.

My experiences confirm what's been said in this thread, the Mecgar Para P16 blued mags are a bit shorter than the factory RIA mags, but can still work well.

RIA Factory Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Dawson Basepad for Para -> 21 rounds reloadable

Mecgar Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Dawson Basepad for Para -> 20 rounds reloadable (I can cram in 21, but the follower can get stuck, leaving the rounds loose)

Mecgar Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Arrendondo Basepad -> 19 rounds reloadable

I had the slide lock back early once with one of the mecgar mags, but haven't had it repeat since so it may have been my mistake.

I did try a friend's STI mags once. They seemed to feed ok, but locked back early with one round left and did not drop free. Squeezing them in a vise for a bit probably would have fixed that.

Have not done anything to the pistol or the mag release.

Edited by recoilchamp

When you guys talk about grams followers/spring which are you using? When I look on their website I see nothing for para mags. A link to the actuall one would be awesome. I love this gun but the mag thing is turning into a PITA.

I'm running 18 in the factory mag and Dawson base, same in a mecgar para mag. Seems if I cram 19 in they get stuck like previously stated. A 20-21rd mag would have saved me a reload in our last match.

Edited by Razabak

Hi, this is a very good thread. I just picked up a FS Match Pro in 40. I too have found some different combos that work. My Canadian made para mags with Dawson extensions work, but I do feel a slight contact with the trigger hoop. But, this is not my plan. I will keep my Para factory mags with Dawson stuff for my Para's.

I am more interested in the Mec-Gar P16(15 round) solution for I have well over 30 of these mags and most NIB Nickel. I have tried the Dawson based with the Mec-Gar and it works fine in the Match Pro 40.

Question - on the Arrendondo, do most of you run the little 4 finger insert? Spring with the square coils at the bottom or the round coils? It seems the square base springs will not fit inside the Arrendondo insert with the fingers. If you look at the product pictures for Arrendondo it shows the spring has a square coil at the bottom. I am no genius, but that is not going to fit the inserts. At least form what I am trying.

Moderator - Question, should this thread be moved to possibly a renamed section called "Para and Para Clones"?

Kind Regards,

Rhett

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Grams-SpringFollower-Kit-11-Coil-P384.aspx

Note that my slide doesn't lock back on empty with these when shooting, though they do when just inserting an empty mag and racking the slide. Doesn't bother me in practice because I should be avoiding shooting to empty anyway.

Thank you for this. I'll be ordering some to try out.

On the factory/Dawson combo when I dropped the empty mag on the concrete, it exploded. Seems like the lips holding the base on let it slip off. Hasn't happened before, but was wondering if anyone else has had it happen. I have a nickel mecgar that I modded to work and the base seems to be very tight on that one so I'm not worried about it coming off.

At practice the other night I used a members STI mag and it worked perfectly. Does anyone know if the STI mags from mbxextreme work? Seems like that's what I'm looking for but when I emailed them they didn't think they would work. The para ones from them are coming but I need mags NOW!!! Haha.

My experiences confirm what's been said in this thread, the Mecgar Para P16 blued mags are a bit shorter than the factory RIA mags, but can still work well.

RIA Factory Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Dawson Basepad for Para -> 21 rounds reloadable

Mecgar Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Dawson Basepad for Para -> 20 rounds reloadable (I can cram in 21, but the follower can get stuck, leaving the rounds loose)

Mecgar Mag + Grams Follower/Spring + Arrendondo Basepad -> 19 rounds reloadable

I had the slide lock back early once with one of the mecgar mags, but haven't had it repeat since so it may have been my mistake.

I did try a friend's STI mags once. They seemed to feed ok, but locked back early with one round left and did not drop free. Squeezing them in a vise for a bit probably would have fixed that.

Have not done anything to the pistol or the mag release.

What Allen key did you use to get the RI base pad off the mag?

With my MecGar mags, Dawson base pads and Para spring/follower I only get 17. +2 if you will. Are the grams springs square at the bottom?

Thanks

OK,

I am getting this now. Mec-Gar + Arrendodno Follower + ISMI 140 "PA45" spring = 20 rounds reloadable, but tight. 19 is a breeze.

Still only getting 18 with the Arrendondo Base and Follower. I have a couple of performance packs coming from Arrendondo. I have so many springs and stuff laying around I figured I would start all new just to see.

Are any of you using the Arrendondo insert with Arrendondo Base? And if NOT, how are you disassembly/assembly without insert?

Still have not found allen key to fit RI stock Mag Base. I need the tiny tool set for squirrel surgery.

Cheers,

RT

When I was messing around with this, I tried Arredondo +2 bases without the finger insert. I had some of the regular inserts for STI mags. The finger insert is used in the Para 9/38 tubes & is not needed in 40 mags. The fingers are delicate & deform easily. With thoses base/inserts, & Arredondo springs & followers, I got 19 if I recall correctly, but the follower would usually get stuck in the tube.

If you are serious about running this gun without mag issues, just get new STI mags from anywhere, change to Grams guts, Dawson or TTI bases, be happy with 20, & go shoot. For the most part Arredondo mag parts are pure crap & will disappoint you.

Thanks OpenB. I think I will reserve the Arrendondo stuff for basic Para setup. It is very interesting to me the RI will take both the Para and Mec-Gar mags and you tell me it will take STI.

So, on your advice I think I will get a couple STI tubes/Dawson Pads and give it a go. I can't stand messing around with unreliable stuff. It will find its way in the parts bin very fast.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The mag that comes with the gun is made by Mecgar, but doesn't appear to be same as the commonly sold Mecgar Para P16 mag that holds 15. At least the 2 I tried were not. As you found, they were too short to lock in place with any basepad on them. But, others have posted that the Mecgar Para P16 mags bought from Greg Cote were longer, & did work. I got tired of fooling with it & bought STI 140mm mags from Brownells. They work & are easily gotten.