Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody 3-gun with 1.5-8x, 2-7x, 2-8x, 2-10x, 2.5-10x, 3-9x scope?

1eyedfatman

The norms seems to be 1-4x or 1-6x and maybe a lucking few can have a 1-8x. I've already got a couple of 16" rifles with 1-4x (Mtac) and 1-6x (SWFA) and I'm thinking the 16" 1-6x will be my main competition rifle. Considering doing something different with the 18" Stag by placing a little bit more magnification on it just to give a different option. There are various scopes with the magnification I listed in the title. Anybody go with anything like that on their 3-gun rifle, what was it and does it work well?

Ya i agree, you loose too much field of view with the higher magnification. the majority of the targets would be shot without the magnification so your not gaining that much going to a higher magnification for the few longer stuff to offset what you loose

6x is generally sufficient for most targets out to 500 yards. I tried one of the MTAC 1.5-6 scopes a couple years ago. It was OK, but I did lose some field-of-view which I found very annoying/distracting. It's entirely possible that was a result of a mid-range optic, but it sounds like with scopes like those, that's just an unfortunate side-effect.

You'll probably be better off with a 1-6 or 1-8.

My first scope is a 2x10 Weaver. Great scope for entry level skill and price, but now days you need a minimum of 1-1.5 as your lowest setting. I burn too much time using my hand guard tac sight and transitioning back to the scope on courses of fire that have hoser, medium and long distance targets. Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

To keep out of Open you would need to run offset irons for the close-in hoser stuff. I tried it once with a 2-8 and never went back. I'm sure with practice it works fine - but at least initially for me shooting the offset irons was one of the most un-ergonomic, uncomfortable, and non-intuitive ways to run - so much so that I preferred the lack of FOV shooting the scope at 2x than using them.

The matches I attend don't get out much past 100 yards, so a dot actually works best for me. If I went to a match where most shots were smaller targets over 100 I might reconsider but as is the 2-8 sits in the unused scope bin.

Offset irons can rectify the (>1)-X situation, however, I find that even offset irons during some instances or even entire stages, it can be a hindrance. For the longest time (as stated) 1-4 were the norm and did well even in excess of 400 yards. Now with the influx of newer and decent cost 1-6 scopes, I highly recommend at least 1 power on bottom end. From what Jesse Tischauser mentioned a few days ago, there may be a sub $400 1-6 offered by Vortex (the strike eagle?) next year. I also know some people who run a Primary Arms 1-6 (sub $300) with good results, even with the not so crisp glass compared to a Swaro, Leupold or Vortex.

can someone recommend a few 1-8 scopes for 3-gun? currently running eotech + flip magnifier, but i'm considering trying out a 1-8 scope.

http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-8-5x-24mm

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-mark-8-cqbss-1-1-8x24-riflescope.html

http://marchscopes.com/tactical-1-8-x-24-ffp.html

My open rifle has an Eotech and a Nikon 2-8.

I end up taking probably 90% of shots with the Eotech (between training with the social rifles and shooting Limited and HM I'm very, very comfortable with the system).

I use the scope for long shots, or really small targets.

No way I'd try anything without 1X capability if I could only have one optic. I can't even make 1.5X work fast (some people can though).

I am using a 2x7 Burris with e1 reticle. I have offset irons. I thought it might help having more magnification on 400 yard shots and the E1 reticle has some uncomplicated hash marks. In truth i am having trouble seeing 400 yard targets.

Of course I am a middle of the pack local shooter, so I suck anyway.

can someone recommend a few 1-8 scopes for 3-gun? currently running eotech + flip magnifier, but i'm considering trying out a 1-8 scope.

I run the burris xtr ii 1.5-8x28mm. I really like it. The price isn't bad and the 1.5 still works well at close range but I also run offset irons.

I run the burris xtr ii 1.5-8x28mm. I really like it. The price isn't bad and the 1.5 still works well at close range but I also run offset irons.

That's on my short list to replace the Nikon...

I previously was running a burris tac30. I just wanted more magnification for longer shots. The tac 30 wasn't quite a true 1x either so it doesn't seem that different runnning the 1.5-8.

Right now I have a 3-9 Burris FF II with offset irons. Haven't shot many matches with it, but it seems to work well. I replaced the standard rear peep with a ghost ring. That setup seems to work well for close in targets. A fiber optic front does, too.

I had a Valdada 1.5-8X. It was a great scope. Schott glass. Very good reticle. I used it in my first big 3G-RM3G. Very good in the short range targets, excellent in the long range.

Downside FOV!

Out here, either at RM3G or SMM3G FOV was important to me.

I gave the scope to a friend and kicking myself ever since.

For me, anything under 400 yards, the Swaro 1-6X would be ideal.

Over 400 yards which we have a local match once a month, SMM3G, and RM3G, the Swaro 1.7-10X is great--but I am over 60 with mono vision.

Depending on your match/target set up, the FOV was more important to me than power. Less prairie dogging.

On our shorter match, 100 yards max, my Accupoint 1-4x works great.

At RM3G, glass excellence is critical, there are targets stuck in shadows, next to trees, in front of bushes, etc.