Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B casefeeder opinions

Yes. I've had a casefeeder on my 550 since 2006(?) I've loaded 10's of thousands of 9mm, a few thousand 40S&W, and this past year set it up to feed .223. I don't concern myself with 'number of rds per hour' as I usually just go out to the garage and load 200 or 400 at a time, a few times per week until my stock is built up. It runs well, and caliber changes are cheap (relative to 650/1050) and easy. It's on a strong mount with a bullet tray and roller handle and 10 primer tubes ready when i am.

Great, thats what I wanted to hear! I am also not really worried about rds/hour just like the idea of one less thing to have to pick up and load in the process. Just wanted to make sure it didnt cause more frustration than it was worth in the long run.

To change calibers on the 550 casefeeder it only involves changing out 2- 3 pieces depending on caliber being loaded. 1- station 1 locator, 2-casefeed adaptor,and 3- casefeed plate then adjust casefeed cam.

For me the toughest part was adjusting the casefeed cam, but after doing it a few times and realizing it only takes a slight adjustment to dial in , now I can change over the casefeeder in less time it takes me to change calibers on the machine.

Yes, I would buy it again.

I've only had a few issues with it over the last 3 years.

Two things:

I wish they'd make .32acp and .380 conversions.

Occasionally, one shell will drop sideways into the funnel at the top of the feeder tube and jams up the process. If you're not paying attention, all of a sudden the feeder starts throwing brass out of the top and onto the bench/floor. Stop....unclog....continue. If anyone else has had this issue, I'd love to know if they have found a solution.

I had a 550b w/o case feeder: It was great

I wanted to increase my output. Should I sell the 550 and buy a 650 or add a casefeeder to the 550?

I added a case feeder 550: It was a nightmare. I could never get it to run right. When it ran well it was OK, when it didn't it was a nightmare.

I bought a 650 and put the 550 casefeeder on a CasePro 100: Much better.