Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy Just Getting Started

psustang89

Hello! From western PA, been shooting for many years (hunting focused mainly) but have decided to get involved in competition. With training for competition comes the need for more ammo! I likely will be ordering a 550 very soon, my first press. I look forward to all the great advice from the members here!

Welcome! One suggestion I might offer is if you are meeting folks locally competing, go check out a few reloading setups, specifically both the 550 and the 650. Depending on how much ammo you will load/you plan to shoot, you may find the 650 a better starting point. Although Enos FAQ I think doesn't generally recommend the 650 as a first press, one of the exceptions made was if you were doing IDSPA or USPSA and not changing calibers on the press often. FWIW

Welcome....I am a new guy too. I am looking to get my son (16 year old) and I started. I have a 550b and it is a great machine. I have shot cowboy action matches off and on for a few years, so competing is not a totally new thing. Have fun.

Welcome

I haven't done much action shooting, but I've been handloading for over 50 years.

Go slow with your first loading equipment. If you have a friend who hand loads , ask to see how he does it. Maybe get a single stage press and load a few rounds before you decide on your progressive ( you will always find a use for it)

A progressive press can get pretty frustrating for a beginner. Handloading should be fun

Just a thought.

• 3 weeks later...