Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Powder Options for Coated Lead

johnsons1480

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like WST with bayou bullets. If you have not tried the 124 TCG bullet, you might want to order a sample pack

I found the 124TCG bayou bullet to be far less forgiving in regards to OAL vs. the 124 RN. Really like the clean holes they leave in paper though.

I really like WST with bayou bullets. If you have not tried the 124 TCG bullet, you might want to order a sample pack

I found the 124TCG bayou bullet to be far less forgiving in regards to OAL vs. the 124 RN. Really like the clean holes they leave in paper though.

Donnie mentioned that to me as well. I was looking for something I could load a lot longer than the 135 gr ones I've been using. 124 gr RN was the answer.

This has gotten off the rails. This wasn't a thread for load data. This was a thread for discussing the accuracy of different powders. I'll ask the question again. What do you consider "good" accuracy from a production gun? What do you think is acceptable?

I was told earlier that it's probably not my powder, and that I should slug my barrel. I bought fishing weights yesterday, and will be doing this on Thursday. Until then, if you have some side by side comparisons of N320 vs any other powder and found that powder to be more accurate, I would love to hear about it.

I shot 3200 124 RN Bayou through a stock 9mm RIA in 2013. They were over CCI SP primers and 3.8 grains of Titegroup in mixed cases. Yes they were a little smoky but they made 127 PF and regularly shot under 1.5" from the bench at 17 yards. I THINK they were loaded to 1.140 but I might be wrong. They were NOT shorter than 1.130

These same loads would not shoot any better than 2" ever in 2 different M&P pistols.

I shot 3200 124 RN Bayou through a stock 9mm RIA in 2013. They were over CCI SP primers and 3.8 grains of Titegroup in mixed cases. Yes they were a little smoky but they made 127 PF and regularly shot under 1.5" from the bench at 17 yards. I THINK they were loaded to 1.140 but I might be wrong. They were NOT shorter than 1.130

These same loads would not shoot any better than 2" ever in 2 different M&P pistols.

Thank you. I have some Titegroup at home I might try out back to back against these N320 loads.

I keep seeing "good accuracy" over and over with no numbers. What does everyone consider good? What's acceptable?

Watching this with great interest.........

Are you working on loads for the Glock or the CZ?

This is for the CZ. The Glock shot closer to 4" groups with the 135s, never tried it with the 124s. The 135s shoot between 5-6" in the CZ, and the 124s shoot between 6-7"

I've read that the CZ's have a lot tighter chamber than the Glocks, which are HUGE!

Was going to offer some 9mm/Glock info; but don't think it'll be relative to loading for the CZ. FWIW, my recent testing, which has been greatly hampered by the weather, is showing better results accuracy wise by increasing the OAL and bumping the PF to ~132-133....for the G17.

Got some N320/147g Bayous loaded up at 1.142" to compare to the 135's; and see if a longer OAL might wake up the N320 loads.

I've got some Titegroup but have reason to believe it would perform better with jacketed/plated type bullets. Also have quiet a bit of Bullseye that I'll probably try if the N320 doesn't work out. Hard to turn away from 8# of the N320; especially when so many shooters prefer it.

IMO, if our guns & ammo aren't as accurate as possible, then our performance in competition will always be questionable.....

Not sure if there's any Bullseye competitors here; but I think these comments are applicable to any serious shooter:

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/cstomgun.htm

AJE: Good grouping, and thanks for posting actual results!

Don't know if it can be......but here's what I'm hoping to improve on with the G17G4 rested at 25yds:

Bayou135_4-2_zps4kvpbhoe.jpg

Bayou 135g @ 1.135"

3.7g N320

Temp: 68*

Avg: 991fps

ES: 20

SD: 6

PF: 133.79

I've actually gotten 25yd groups similar to that during testing with at least 2, 10 round tests. IMO, absolutely un-acceptable.....

If this is from your CZ, have you determined what OAL your particular CZ likes using something similar to this?

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

Also similar posts on this forum by using a particular bullet and wooden dowel.....

Wow - I wish one of you guys shooting these groups at 25 yards lived near me. I'd like to see what my loads can do but I know for a fact I can't shoot that well off of a rest. Hell, I'm better shooting unsupported than I am from a rest.

I've actually gotten 25yd groups similar to that during testing with at least 2, 10 round tests. IMO, absolutely un-acceptable.....

If this is from your CZ, have you determined what OAL your particular CZ likes using something similar to this?

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

Also similar posts on this forum by using a particular bullet and wooden dowel.....

These are double tested with similar accuracy. I tried 1.15, 1.25, 1.35, and 1.45. 1.135 shot the best, but all were very close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are double tested with similar accuracy. I tried 1.115, 1.25, 1.35, and 1.45. 1.135 shot the best, but all were very close

Edited. 1.15 should have been 1.115

Here's the groups. 1.145" was slightly bigger than 1.135", 1.125 got a little worse, then 1.115 looked like a shotgun pattern. This is all with 4.2 gr of N320

1115_zps09ddfe96.jpg

1125_zpsdba8401a.jpg

1135_zpsa4db7542.jpg

1145_zps73466b09.jpg

124N320_zps16756ac4.png

For what its worth, I have seen production guns tighten up grouping with heavier bullets. Have you tried the 135 or 147 and repeated the test?

It does look like there is a stabilization issue going on if those are off a rest.

My 9mm minor load, out of Glock, CZ, 1911, and 2011 all are within 1.5" out of a rest at 25 yards. BBI 147 with 2.9gr Titegroup (132pf), and BBI 125 with 4.8gr Autocomp (129pf)

Have you tried the 135 or 147 and repeated the test?

135 grain Bayou Bullets shot slightly worse groups than the 124 grain bullets. These groups were shot off a bag. I'm going to slug the barrel tomorrow afternoon, maybe I need to get them sized differently. FWIW, even though the groups from a bag aren't very good, and my glock shoots better from a bag, I shot 10x more accurately with this gun in my last match than I ever have with my Glock under match conditions.

Still curious as to what your preferred OAL is....

For 124 grain bullets, it was 1.135" out of the 4 lengths tested. It shot, on two different occasions, about an inch better than anything else. I was unwilling to go below 1.115" because I had so many case gauge failures with 135 grain bullets loaded at 1.100". This was the main driver for me to switch to 124 gr RN, to load longer to avoid case gauge failures with mixed headstamp brass. For 135 grain bullets, I can't load any longer than 1.100", so that was my preferred OAL.