Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP CTR-02 build question?

DickProenneke

Hello all,

I have a new JP CTR-02 16" upper, fully assembled, that I bought never fired, used. I have the option of buying a CTR-02 stripped upper/lower combo ($900), or a JP-15 stripped upper/lower combo ($500). I don't have the option of just buying a CTR-02 lower (I'm in Canada and the parts are hard to come by).

Should I disassemble the upper and install all the parts on a new JP-15 upper/lower to save money and weight, or buy the CTR-02 lower and sell the stripped upper?

My concerns are, replicating the torque and tolerances on the JP-15, that I have on the CTR-02, and any other disassembly issues that might exist with a factory CTR-02 upper (i.e. loctite, or other factory fitted techniques that are used to assemble JP uppers). I have assembled and disassembled several AR'S but never a CTR-02.

I want everything to JP at the end of the day, so I'm not looking for other manufacture options, and yes, I know the 18" is more popular, however we never shoot past 300 yds in my 3 gun league, and the 16" is all that was available at a reasonable price.

Any knowledgable opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Edited by DickProenneke

If I were in your situation, I would buy the CTR-02 upper/lower combo and set my upper on it. If I could buy the lower with the JP trigger installed by JP, I would go that route (I really like a JP trigger set up by JP). By using the CTR-02 lower, you will have the integral mag-well and you won't have to do anything but pin it together. I would try to sell the stripped upper to get some money back. You would also have a rifle that would have a slightly higher resale value if you decided to sell it later on. That is just my opinion, and it is not my $400.

Hurley

Edited to change stripped lower to stripped upper.

HR

Edited by HRider

I have a CTR-02 from JP, I have had another CTR-02 factory rifle at my house for a few months to play with. The triggers on both of these rifles feel about the same, it would be hard for me to know which one I was pulling if my eyes were shut. I have shot other rifles that had JP triggers installed by other people (not Benny Hill or someone of that level) and they felt different.

Hurley

Well I can't get the guys at JP to do it. It's time and cost prohibitive when you do not live in the US. I can get the parts in Canada, and do it myself, but that's the best I can do at this point. In the absence of having a JP installed trigger, would I be better with a self-installed JP EZ trigger, or a Geissele?

I would stay with one of the JP trigger systems. I would also go with the CTR-02 lower. Either sell the stripped upper or hang on to it for a future build. I own two CTR-02s and several other high end ARs and in my opinion the JPs are the best of the bunch.