Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets Feedback?

Duane Thomas

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Extremes brought me back to plated bullets after a disastrous batch of Berrys. The Berrys would keyhole at IDPA distances giving me patterns not groups. I emailed Extreme and told them about my experiences. They assured me they used a thicker plate.

So far I've gotten good accuracy with them. I use the 9mm 124 HPCB and the .38 158 FN. Good prices, fast shipping, I'm happy.

I'd like to share my personal, very limited, experience with 115 rn 9mm extreme. I shot a few groups without much experimenting with crimp and compared it to 124 jhp mg at the same time and the mg grouped very well....the extreme not so much. this was shooting off of a rest at about 35 yards out of my open gun kkm 9mm barrel

post-55741-0-86800500-1418051862_thumb.j

Edited by Shmella

I have been reloading Xtremes for over a year. Sadly, not sure if its the recent lot # I ordered, but I went from 2-3" groups at 25 yards, to cant hit a 12x12 cardboard target supported (fire 10, 8 hit). This confirmed by other shooters at a local 3Gun match I tanked. I originally thought it was the barrel, so I switched it out with a KKM, no change. Shot factory ammo, great results out of both the stock and KKM barrel. I hope its a bad lot, and will confirm when a new order comes in.

My pet load data:

124 RN

OAL: 1.135

Powder: 4.2g Tightgroup

Avg vel: 1080

Now in comparison to (when It did shoot well) to Hornadys or MG, I usually get 1.5-2" groups at 25 yards. The difference between the two is negligible I believe in 3Gun but depends on someones budget and volume.

Edited by KTKlaus

I just purchased 500 135gn RNFP's and 500 .223 55gn FMJ's during their black Friday sale. We shall see how they go on both accounts. I heard good things about them and the price was right (especially on blackfriday!) I have not loaded cast, coated or moly before so this will be my first go at them. I have 1K berrys 115's to try out as well.

Edited by Nebwake

I shoot the 147 gr 9mms, and out of my 5" M&P it's easily headbox at 25y. It's the same story for the 230 grain .45s out of my 625 and my 1911, and for the 180 grain .40 and my other M&P. Same, even, for the 125 and 147 grain .357/.358 bullets in my 327 in a Short Colt. Across different calibers, I've used Titegroup, Clays, Power Pistol, N310, N320, and Bullseye. Pretty similar results. I'd like to take a proper set of sandbags to them at an indoor range, but I don't enjoy shooting groups (nor do it very well on my own).

After about 2000 of the 124 RN over Titegroup, I have found them to work better or as good as Berry's and Ranier for me in 9mm.

In 45, my 625 and 1911 like the 200 RN or SWC as much as any other bullet I have tried. Over Titegroup (4.9 grains I think), either gun makes a nice 1.5 inch group of 5 at 17 yards. They also have shot as well over 5.6 grains of HP38/W231.

As a range employee I love the Brass credit program which offers 2.5$ a pound for brass which makes my reloading cost for 9mm less than 60 a case. While these may not be the most accurate bullet I've shot it makes for cheap practice ammo and cheap ammo for teaching new shooters.

I switched to Xtreme 124FMJ after using MG exclusively. I found the Xtreme 124 RN HPCB to be the most accurate bullet i've ever tested. ( 1.5" at 25 yards ) I worked up a load that would make PF, then adjusted OAL until i found the most accurate, at 25 yards, using a rest. The groups I got with the Xtreme were better than the anything i was ever able to do with the MG. Gun was a Tanfo Stock 2.

I recently switched to Tanfo Limited. Bought 180 RN HPCB and was impressed right out of the gate with the accuracy. Same 1.5" at 25 yards.

any experience w/ the 124gr HP? The remarks mentioned using either HPCB or HP if shooting over 1200fps

I switched to Xtreme 124FMJ after using MG exclusively. I found the Xtreme 124 RN HPCB to be the most accurate bullet i've ever tested. ( 1.5" at 25 yards ) I worked up a load that would make PF, then adjusted OAL until i found the most accurate, at 25 yards, using a rest. The groups I got with the Xtreme were better than the anything i was ever able to do with the MG. Gun was a Tanfo Stock 2.

I recently switched to Tanfo Limited. Bought 180 RN HPCB and was impressed right out of the gate with the accuracy. Same 1.5" at 25 yards.

any experience w/ the 124gr HP? The remarks mentioned using either HPCB or HP if shooting over 1200fps

No, no experience with them. FWIW, just to make sure we're on the same page, the HP in HPCB is "heavy plate", not hollow point. I have not tried any hollow points recently.

No, no experience with them. FWIW, just to make sure we're on the same page, the HP in HPCB is "heavy plate", not hollow point. I have not tried any hollow points recently.

He said "HPCB OR HP" . HPCB is heavy plate concave base an HP is hollow point. And for what it's worth all EXTREME HP's are HPCB's.

He said "HPCB OR HP" . HPCB is heavy plate concave base an HP is hollow point. And for what it's worth all EXTREME HP's are HPCB's.

Going to start loading the 124 HP and i've gathered that it needs a light crimp.

As for the article, I think a glossary of their offerings AND and explaination of the features would be good (ie: HP - is that 'hollow point' or 'heavy plated'). Explaination of the features would help clarify for example what the concave base was designed for.

That stuff aside, I have definitely had a poor lot of bullets from them. Only had this happen once and it drove me batty blaming everything under the sun except for the bullet. This was using 115gr 9mm RN. Never had an issue for years loading 230 gr .45 RN from them. Never! Starting loading 9mm and got into my 2nd batch ordered from them and it went worse than bad, similar to KTKlaus' experience above....maybe a bit worse. I was getting 24" groups at 25 yds. That was a lot of 1500 bullets down the drain.... Fast forward to today, I tried Xtreme's 124 gr HPCB and am getting wonderful (for me) accuracy. I average 3" at 25 yds from my stock FS M&P 9. I suspect something may have changed in the manufacturing process or raw materials during the time I ordered the 115's. This was at the time of the big shortages and everything was out of stock. Cautiously optimistic that they've put the bad batches behind them.

I still continue to have good luck with the .45's.

Neither bullet should be crimped. Only straighten out the bell at the case mouth and leave no mark or line around the bullet. I think crimp is the wrong word, you don't want to turn the case mouth into the bullet or resize the bullet inside the case. Very lightly would be the term you are looking for. Over crimping coated lead or plated will absolutely ruin the accuracy of the load.

This summer I tried three different brands of bullets to "test' the accuracy of my average shooting ability with aging eyeballs. This was done in 9MM (124, 130, 147), .40 (180) and the .45 (230) hollow points. To test them I used Berrys, MG, and the Xtremes.

In 9MM, the hp 124 ended up being a solid surprise shooting very well, it will be my go to for steel and 3 Gun. Berrys was ok with the 124 and 147. Any difference in accuracy with the MG was in my opinion purely shaking hands.

The 180 was almost tie, with the MG coming out on top. I have some 160s on hand but feel the recoil is better with the 180 weights.

In the .45, nothing beats the 230 RN MG. There is a difference in groups, but I am not a bullseye shooter, and have switched to Xtreme because I have encountered stove pipe issues with Berrys. The Xtreme did perform well enough for the close range USPSA that I compete in for Limited 10.

The customer service part of the three is hands down clearly better at Xtreme. Shipping is fast, the order goes out quickly, and I get a human on the line when I call. This is in incredible contrast to the other two companies. MG would not be a company to even bother to call, they are so busy they lack fundamental customer service acumen. Berrys on the other hand is impossible to work with, and I would never buy a single item from them ever again.

For the cost, Xtreme is the best buy and the results are great. MG makes a slightly superior jacketed round, but for 90% of the shooters here, our guys more then likely cant shoot any better to justify the huge price differential.

This summer I tried three different brands of bullets to "test' the accuracy of my average shooting ability with aging eyeballs. This was done in 9MM (124, 130, 147), .40 (180) and the .45 (230) hollow points. To test them I used Berrys, MG, and the Xtremes.

In 9MM, the hp 124 ended up being a solid surprise shooting very well, it will be my go to for steel and 3 Gun. Berrys was ok with the 124 and 147. Any difference in accuracy with the MG was in my opinion purely shaking hands.

The 180 was almost tie, with the MG coming out on top. I have some 160s on hand but feel the recoil is better with the 180 weights.

In the .45, nothing beats the 230 RN MG. There is a difference in groups, but I am not a bullseye shooter, and have switched to Xtreme because I have encountered stove pipe issues with Berrys. The Xtreme did perform well enough for the close range USPSA that I compete in for Limited 10.

The customer service part of the three is hands down clearly better at Xtreme. Shipping is fast, the order goes out quickly, and I get a human on the line when I call. This is in incredible contrast to the other two companies. MG would not be a company to even bother to call, they are so busy they lack fundamental customer service acumen. Berrys on the other hand is impossible to work with, and I would never buy a single item from them ever again.

For the cost, Xtreme is the best buy and the results are great. MG makes a slightly superior jacketed round, but for 90% of the shooters here, our guys more then likely cant shoot any better to justify the huge price differential.

Thank you so much for this input. I'm loading for the first time so are most crimps light or very light?

Edited by Kwontanamo

I like the 147 HPCB in 9mm. While I do like the xtreme product, I think it is more difficult to develop an accurate load for anyone's plated bullet vs a jacketed equivalent or even coated. Xtreme's seem to have thicker plating than other brands.

Their customer service is A++. Good people to business with.

In your article it may be note worthy to explain that many people have been frustrated loading plated bullets because they failed to understand how sensitive they are to over crimping.

Look forwarding to reading your work

Agree.

Using 9 135 HP for production, Tested 115 heavy plated for open (cheaper than MG and just as accurate), wish they would produce 115 hp in heavy plated. Waiting on 2000 180 FP for limited.

X-Treme always run sales, bullets are in stock, ships fast, mil vet discount, and the price is right. If they produce 115 hp heavy plate , I would have no need for the more expensive Montana Gold.

From what I understand their HP bullets are thick plated. Yep just read it again here:

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

They do not make 115 HP heavy plate concave base. Only round nose so far.

LCS, you need to read what is on their site and not rely on the simple designations listed for each bullet. Right in the bullet and load info area, in big red letters it says "All Hollow Points are Heavy Plate Concave Base but are not designed to be used as a defense round."

This means they are ALL HPCB even if the bullet description does not say so.