Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-Treme Bullets Feedback?

Duane Thomas

My editor at Dillon's Blue Press has floated the idea to me of doing a review of X-Treme Bullets. Before I say yes or no, I want to find out if, in the experience of those who've used them, they're good stuff or not. Any feedback would be appreciated, especially in the area of accuracy.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 9mm limited pistols with the same schuemann barrel. One shoots all of the x-tremes (I've tried all weights except for the 160 grain) very accurately, less than an inch at 18 yards. The other only shoots the larger diameter .356" and .357" 147's well. The lighter .355" bullets are closer to 3" at 18 yards from that pistol.

I don't have time to do any load development so I only used them with one powder at the same OAL. Experimenting with different brands and OAL might make a big difference.

I like the 147 HPCB in 9mm. While I do like the xtreme product, I think it is more difficult to develop an accurate load for anyone's plated bullet vs a jacketed equivalent or even coated. Xtreme's seem to have thicker plating than other brands.

Their customer service is A++. Good people to business with.

In your article it may be note worthy to explain that many people have been frustrated loading plated bullets because they failed to understand how sensitive they are to over crimping.

Look forwarding to reading your work

I like the 147 HPCB in 9mm. While I do like the xtreme product, I think it is more difficult to develop an accurate load for anyone's plated bullet vs a jacketed equivalent or even coated. Xtreme's seem to have thicker plating than other brands.

In your article it may be note worthy to explain that many people have been frustrated loading plated bullets because they failed to understand how sensitive they are to over crimping.

Agree.

Using 9 135 HP for production, Tested 115 heavy plated for open (cheaper than MG and just as accurate), wish they would produce 115 hp in heavy plated. Waiting on 2000 180 FP for limited.

X-Treme always run sales, bullets are in stock, ships fast, mil vet discount, and the price is right. If they produce 115 hp heavy plate , I would have no need for the more expensive Montana Gold.

I loaded and shot about 4k of the 180g .40 JHP. They were not as good as the MG's or Zero's I normally shoot but they were less expensive.

To quantify "not as good". A little more variation in weight, a little less accurate, a little harder to load because you have to pay more attention to the crimp.

For USPSA type shooting in local matches where we don't see much more than 20 to 25 yards they were not an issue. I think they would be well worth a test and write up just so I can see if my observations were correct.

I like xtreme, for the price you get a very good bullet. The only plated I found more accurate is berry's hbrn tp. I have the 124 and 230gn on my bench. I am a volume shooter so they work for me, my match bullets are PD.

They shot better than Raniers for me, although I see no benefit to buying Xtreme HPs - to date, no positive difference in accuracy vs their RNs, just higher priced.

I've shot most of their options in 9mm - 124gr, 135gr, 147gr, but mostly 124gr. MGs are more accurate, but that holds true vs Bayou, SNS, and others, as well - not just Xtremes.

I'm not sure if Dillon should do an article, as their dies seem to love to leave 'nipples' on Xtremes. ;)

I'm not sure if Dillon should do an article, as their dies seem to love to leave 'nipples' on Xtremes. ;)

I did the JB Weld 'fix' for the 9mm seating die, as have many others, I presume :-)

Agree.

Using 9 135 HP for production, Tested 115 heavy plated for open (cheaper than MG and just as accurate), wish they would produce 115 hp in heavy plated. Waiting on 2000 180 FP for limited.

X-Treme always run sales, bullets are in stock, ships fast, mil vet discount, and the price is right. If they produce 115 hp heavy plate , I would have no need for the more expensive Montana Gold.

From what I understand their HP bullets are thick plated. Yep just read it again here:

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Bullet-Load-Info-s/1952.htm

Edited by Sarge

That's sad.

The problem you are going to run into is that many people don't truly understand the difference between loading jacketed vs plated bullets. I think EXTREME bullets shoot just as well as much more expensive bullets IF YOU CHANGE THE CRIMP SETTING. Even when I didn't change the crimp I never got "stick delta's and mikes". The group suffered some but nothing like that. From what I have loaded they are more than adequate for our games. Like lcs said, they are a very good outfit, are VERY supportive of matches, etc...

I think if I were writing an article on these I would solicit help from established EXTREME users and let them do some testing for you. Have them indicate crimp settings along with other reloading data, MAJ vs min PF, gun used in, etc.

Edited by Sarge

Agree.

From what I understand their HP bullets are thick plated. Yep just read it again here:

They do not make 115 HP heavy plate concave base. Only round nose so far.

Agree.

They do not make 115 HP heavy plate concave base. Only round nose so far.

All Hollow Points are Heavy Plate Concave Base but are not designed to be used as a defense round.

at 20 yards off a bench - rainers and montanas give me a nice big hole.

Extremes give me stick deltas and mikes. theyre good for hosing practice at 7 yards.

Ok, to add a bit more context to this. Yes - in general they are a very good company to deal with. I love that you can call them up, get the current price list and get a giant bulk order freighted to a depot for a reasonable cost.

they make a very good product, they just dont work for me.

I have put around 35k of them down range over the last 2 years. Mainly the 147gr 9mm and the .40 cal 180gr HPCB. This is through either Schuemann Ultimach or SVI AET barrels. I have experimented with OAL and Crimp till I just gave up. Ive had reloaders with alot of experience check out my crimp on loaded rounds and what the pulled bullets look like. everything looks correct. Have tried with both Major and Minor PF - generally using either clays or n320

Plated in general does not seem to agree with AET(though svi is making and AET with a different twist that is supposed to work better for plated/moly) but I would still get fliers/tumblers through the Ultimach barrel.

I would say from 10 yards in, they are usable for me. Past that and it becomes debatable. Earlier on this was not an issue as alot of the practice I was doing was at closer targets working on fundamentals. Now I find myself working on stuff at 15 yards + thats protected and it would be nice to know if its me or the gear thats tattoing the no-shoots :)

A very large number of the shooters locally here love extremes and shoot them successfully. They just do not seem to work as well for me.

Edited by digby7

I switched to Xtreme 124FMJ after using MG exclusively. I found the Xtreme 124 RN HPCB to be the most accurate bullet i've ever tested. ( 1.5" at 25 yards ) I worked up a load that would make PF, then adjusted OAL until i found the most accurate, at 25 yards, using a rest. The groups I got with the Xtreme were better than the anything i was ever able to do with the MG. Gun was a Tanfo Stock 2.

I recently switched to Tanfo Limited. Bought 180 RN HPCB and was impressed right out of the gate with the accuracy. Same 1.5" at 25 yards.

I will send you a PM lcs. But I am holding one of the 115 concave base heave plate HP in my hand right now.

Not arguing, but I think we are both correct Is this what you ordered ?

9mm-115 HP

Quantity of 500

Diameter: 0.355

UPC: 819304313095

Price:$45.87

436 in stock!

These are what I'm talking about. Notice the different description and look at the color difference. X-treme told me they don't make these in HP yet.

9mm - 115 RN HPCB

Quantity of 250

Diameter: 0.355

UPC: 819304314719

Price:$26.18

Quantity in Stock:416

Product Code: XC9MM-115RNHPCB-B0250

I'm pushing 115 a lot faster as I have 5 of those pesky popple holes. I tested the RN and no probs, but HP cut better defined holes in paper.

I will call them Monday and ask if the descriptions need updating or they are different platings.