Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Dawson Follower

Fireant

I bought a Dawson Tuned STI mag from Dawson's booth at the Nationals and it has the Dawson black follower and +1 basepad. I think I was told at the time that the spring was also STI. This mag holds 20 rounds and functions reliably with 20 in it. I have used it every weekend since Nats.

I don't know. It's pretty hard to beat Bevin's new follower and spring. That seems the way to go.

The base pads are pretty universal. I just like Daves because they're so durable. You can drop them on concrete or other hard surface consistently, and not worry about cracking any plastic.

Dawson's web site is way behind (they're working on a redesign). You have to call them for any new stuff (I can't imagine this is good for sales).. anyway..

From talking to them, the driving force to develop a new follower was they couldn't get any of the old-style STI followers anymore..

Dawson mailed out a Christmas sale flyer in Jan (go figure) and they were in it. I ordered a few and the told me they were selling a bunch.

Nelson, if you go to SEPSA this month you can see what they look like.

Roger

Guest Larry Cazes

Anyone try these followers yet in STI tubes that cause other followers to jam in the bottom of the tube if fully loaded? One of the dawson smiths told me over the phone that one of the design goals was to eliminate the need to tune tubes to fix this issue.

I bought a Dawson Tuned STI mag from Dawson's booth at the Nationals and it has the Dawson black follower and +1 basepad.  I think I was told at the time that the spring was also STI.  This mag holds 20 rounds and functions reliably with 20 in it.  I have used it every weekend since Nats.

What calibre are you getting 20 rounds of, and are these magazines 126mm magazines (international box rule)

I bought a Dawson Tuned STI mag from Dawson's booth at the Nationals and it has the Dawson black follower and +1 basepad.  I think I was told at the time that the spring was also STI.  This mag holds 20 rounds and functions reliably with 20 in it.  I have used it every weekend since Nats.

What calibre are you getting 20 rounds of, and are these magazines 126mm magazines (international box rule)

.40 caliber, and they are 140mm for USPSA Limited.

• 2 months later...

Any updates? I can't find the follower on the web site; Phil's link is to something else.

Phil turned me on to the Dawson wedge pads and this follower at the Columbus Cup. I need to modify my Standard magazines for more rounds.

I called them and ordered mine. I got 1 more than the standard STI follower, but my Grams setups (tuned by Beven, sprints, basepad) get 20.

For me, Dawson + 1 (tuned or untuned tube), Dawson Follower, standard spring - 19 rounds.

Dawson's selling the new followers, but you have to call. IIRC they're designed to snap onto Wolff springs in particular, but I could be wrong.

My mags are either Dawson or Grams guts and both work great.

My Limited rig has two STI 140 .40 tube/4mm Grams baseplate/Grams follower and spring setups, and four of the STI 140 .40 tube/Dawson +1 baseplate/Dawson new follower/ISMI spring setups.

All six hold 20 rounds, every time. All six are kinky (they like being "thwacked" into place), but the four Dawson setups are noticibly easier to seat. And...you can use standard STI springs instead of being locked into one product line.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a few of them. They don't add any more capacity (nor allow more slack for a reload) than a Grams follower or SV competition follower. They do not engage the slide stop, which I consider an advantage in Open and a disadvantage in Standard and Limited 10. The spring locks in nicely.

Hi Erik,

i'm still waiting for my order, but i was thinking of trimming the part where the spring clings to. but according to dawson it should add at least 1rd. try trimming it to the point it only clings to 1 coil of spring. so it could probably give u more movement inside. hope this helps. thanks

Check your mag tubes also. I have two tubes that are noticably wider at the base than a couple of my others. These two tubes hold a reloadable 20 while the others get 19.