Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of a 1050

bessy

Alright guys, here's where I am at.

I've been running a LNL AP for about 5 years. I load somewhere in the neighborhood 10-20k a year, of various calibers. I've slowly upgraded the LNL to include a case feeder/bullet feeder etc. I've pretty much ditched the bullet feeder because it doesn't work with moly coated rounds which is what I primarily use.

The LNL is very easy to swap over, aside from the case feeder.. I can do high volume pistol on it but even with the case feeder I top out around 400-500 an hour. If I'm on fire I might see 600, but that is very rare.

Here are my thoughts.

1. I'm wanting a second press that I can leave setup with my primary caliber (9mm, or 40 depending on if I'm shooting limited or production)

2. I feel like the lnl does an exceptional job with rifle.. and I have all the odd ball conversions and tweaks for it. (i've had to dick around with it for years so I have it figured out at this point) It swaps between calibers very quickly. I'm thinking I will keep it for all my odd ball loading.

3. I'm not sure if I should buy a 650 or a 1050 for my second press. I realize my volume probably doesn't justify a 1050, but I don't really think I will benefit for the lower conversion costs of a 650 since I will probably only use it for 1 or 2 calibers. The swagging feature on the 1050 also is nifty.. as I could get rid of my super swage.

4. As I have a c&r ffl... I'm looking at grafs and a 650 with case feeder is going to run me around 700 shipped, Where as a 1050 is going to run around 1500...

What do you guys think?

I had my mind set on a 1050 a few years back when I needed to move up from my single-stage press. I spoke with several 1050 owners, and all recommended that I get a 650. I now have three of them and not once have I wished I had picked up a 1050.

I like how I can feel everything going on with the 650. I know when I have a 38SC rather than a 9mm piece of brass, when the case is split, when a primer is not seating smoothly, etc. If I have my primer tubes ready, and enough brass on hand, I can pump out 1000 rounds an hour (with a case feeder, but without a bullet feeder).

The only thing I wish my 650 had was the swage option, but for pistol loading, if is perfect.

Go get one and enjoy!

I own three 1050's and two 550's I bought through this site from Brian Enos. For my purpose, Brian recommended a 1050 and I liked it so much, I ended up buying two more! You can't go wrong with the pocket swage but what I like the most is the way it runs like a sewing machine...

C

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

Alright guys, here's where I am at.

I've been running a LNL AP for about 5 years. I load somewhere in the neighborhood 10-20k a year, of various calibers. I've slowly upgraded the LNL to include a case feeder/bullet feeder etc. I've pretty much ditched the bullet feeder because it doesn't work with moly coated rounds which is what I primarily use.

The LNL is very easy to swap over, aside from the case feeder.. I can do high volume pistol on it but even with the case feeder I top out around 400-500 an hour. If I'm on fire I might see 600.

What do you guys think?

I think 600 an hour is easy with a 650 with one hand using the other to video.

If you can afford it, you probably won't regret getting an S1050. I purchased one earlier this year, shortly after I helped a friend setup an xl650..... after using the 650 I feel I made the right choice. The 1050 is simply a better machine in almost ever area.

It's setup for 9mm and produces 2k-4k pieces per month. The ammo quality is excellent, and priming/swaging on the press, and on the down stroke are priceless. Overall just a much better experience.

I've since added a .40 cal conversion kit (haven't used it yet), and will more than likely add another s1050 to handle .223/.300blk brass processing/reloading.

Once you go s1050.... It will be difficult to use any other press.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My cruising speed on a 650 is around 600-700 rounds per hour. If I really want to haul I can get 800+ but I just don't need to go that fast.

I wish I'd went with the 1050 just because of the swaging, but I load 5 calibers on it and conversions are expensive and time consuming, multiple machines aren't an option due to space limitation, and I really can't justify them with my shooting volume anyway. But that swager sure would be nice...

I think once you can use a 1050, you can figure out any press.

Lol.... I'd like to think so, but what I really meant was that if I could reload every one of my calibers on an s1050.... I wouldn't touch another press. It runs really smooth, and although my 550b is a great machine... the 1050 is just a pleasure to use and so much faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by safeactionjackson

One thing that is not often mentioned is that on the 1050 the primer seating depth is adjustable which is nice if you are doing mixed head stamp brass. On the 650 it is not and it is easy to end up with primers that are not seated to the correct depth of about 3 to 6 thousandths below flush when using mixed HS.

I have 3 1050's, two with auto drives...I love them. It is a superior machine by far and buying it from Brian will get you the best support out there along with dillons support.

I loaded 10k to 15k a year of 45 then 40 then 38 super then 40 for many years on a 550. I recently traded it for a 650 to load 9mm major, and really wish I had sprung for a 1050 due to the swager. Never needed it for the other calibers. But for 9mm, I would have difficulty seating a primer in at least 10% of of the brass. What a waste of time and primers.

I wouldn't touch another press. It runs really smooth, and although my 550b is a great machine... the 1050 is just a pleasure to use and so much faster.

Depends if you wanted 50 rounds of 7-08, 200 rounds of 458 socom and a few hundred 22-250 the 550 would beat the pants off of a 1050.

You can't even set the 1050 up for Some of the rounds I load even if I wanted to.

They all have their place and I agree with the 1050's being the best at cranking out a lot of the same load. I actually only use the 550 for loads that I use enough of that I don't want to use a single stage or turret but not enough of to take the time to convert or buy another 650 or 1050.

Edited by jmorris

I am not going to talk you out of buying it - if you can afford dedicated machines for particular calibers, then it is great investment. So I have two permanently configured for the two calibers that I use 95% of the time, and I keep two 650's, one with large, one with small primers, for others, with easy conversions.

Having just one 1050 for use with several different calibers will be a chore.

Alrght,

I had a chance to play with a 650. While I haven't played with a 1050 yet. I can honestly say I think the 650 will kick the snot out of my current setup. I went ahead and ordered a 650. I did really think hard about the 1050, but I decided on the 650. I think it will more than meet my needs, and if I need too I can add a bullet feeder. Thanks for all your input guys!

Talk you out of a 1050? One year warranty......

Get a 650 and use it for life, free. I can do 1200 an hour on my 650 with CF&BF.

What actually breaks on a 1050 after 1 year???????? There's only what, 3 springs on the press: case feed into shell plate, detent ball, and the index lever return spring. The only part I've broken on a 1050, after hundreds of thousands of rounds with an auto-drive is the index pawl, and there's now an upgraded part out for that. How many millions of rounds before you wear out the ram?

Having owned a Lee Loadmaster, a Hornady LnL, a 650, and two 1050s, I can tell you, the 1050 is where it's at. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it takes a few minutes (not 10 or 20, just a few) longer to setup than the 650, but it's a MUCH more robust press.

My first 1050 was the smartest move ever. Just wished I did it 20 years earlier.

Was thinking about a 650, but when the plastic, YIKES PLASTIC!! Indexer broke on my SL 900 which is the same frame as the 650, I said hell no! I bought two more 1050's and haven't looked back..

The only problem was is that I let my brother talk me out of one of them. Now THAT was a mistake!