Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jid2

CFD Compensator - made with 100% real science

My gun finally made it back home and was able to put it through a short practice session yesterday. A big shout out to Greg Peine of Peine Customs for a speedy delivery and Ben and Arron of Hayes Customs for fitting the barrel. The CFD comp replaced a Trubore blank with a Cameron Custom cut comp with (3) 3/16" popple holes in the barrel. My current load (8.7gr 3N37, 1.230", 124 gr MG) chrono 170pf with my old set up at my last major (Space City Challenge) and 175pf with the new setup; Schuemann barrel and CFD comp with identical popple holes. My gun is a full size and sports a Brazos slide, PT steel grip, tungsten guide rod and DP brass magwell. Please keep in mind I have not shot in about 3 months and I am a little rusty.

In a nut shell, these are what I noticed with my new setup. The gun seems a little harder to drive. I needed a stronger than normal grip to control my shots. The gun is lighter on the end and weight distribution is more in the hand. On a table start, the tip of the gun was raised off the table making it harder to grab. Recoil impulse seems to be sharper and slide movement seems to cycle faster. With the Cameron comp, the gun shot softer compared to the CFD comp and seemed to not cycle as fast. I didn't notice any huge gains in transitions due to my gun being on the heavy side. As far as vertical dot movement, I didn't notice any less with the CFD comp. It seems to be very close to the Cameron comp. With the CFD comp the gun returned to the same point of aim more naturally. Playing around with different grip pressure and positions it seems that the CFD comp was very forgiving in this department. With the old set up, dot movement had irregular movement when I played with different grips and hand pressures. Now, the biggest improvement. With the CFD comp I no longer had ANY figure 8 movement with the dot....WOW!!!!!!! For comparative analysis, I am a Master class Open shooter.

I am not the most computer literate person out there and do not know how to post vids. I will be running the comp in a local match this Saturday (weather permitting) and hope to have footage of the gun in action. If someone wants to PM a email to me I can send a link to the vids and help me post it here for members.

Thanks,

Teng Lo

TY69037

Here are the videos:

8.7 3n37, 124 MG/HP, 1.230", 175PF

11.2 N-105, 124MG/HP, 1.230", 182PF

"Nice shooting" would be an understatement!

Thanks for making that video available, it was great to see the comp in action.

Thanks for the videos KA. I'm waiting for Jared to offer the ultimate red dot optic then I'm building a new Open gun with his optic & comp both.

Yeap, I wasn't the 1st person to do it. But I have confidence that it's the correct approach based on my best efforts as an engineer. That was my main goal, at least for my stuff.

Edited by jid2

On a side note, I do like how the back of that Glock comp matches the contours of the factory slide, that's something I struggle with on CZ slides.

Running more comps to keep them in stock for the people.

20150627_231134_1.jpg

How would the comp perform without the 3rd chamber?  Seems like most people are using barrel holes which reduce the amount of gas in the comp and thus reduce the effectiveness of 3rd chamber. 

If you look at the plots on the 1st page you can see the effect of the 3rd port.  In the -Z direction which is pushing the muzzle down the 3rd port contributes only a smalerl amount, about 60 lbs out of a total of around 400lbs at steady state, so 15%.  On the X axis, which is pulling the gun forward and reducing impact on the had it has more effect.  Looks like about 60 lbs out of a total of around 290 lbs at steady state, so 20%.  Not a night and day difference, but certainly working.  The goal of titanium and the design in general is to not pay the weight penalty of having the extra length.

Trying to keep these in stock at both shooters connection or direct from my site moving forward.

I installed one earlier this year and have been enjoying it very much. Its looks huge but is very light weight.

OpenGun.jpg