Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jid2

CFD Compensator - made with 100% real science

Available to order here: http://www.binaryeng.com/products/cfd-titanium-compsensator

I'm excited to share what I think is the best compensator ever with all of you! Over the past few months I've supplied these to a handful of people, and have received very positive feedback. I'm really glad to hear that others are finding this comp to be a big improvement over what they were running before. If you are one of the guys who has made the change please feel free to add your honest thoughts in this thread for others. Good or bad I'm all ears.

These are in-stock and ready to replace what's on your gun, or something for a build you're planning. The details are as follows:

- CNC Machined from 6AL-4V titanium, bead blasted finish.

- Threaded 11/16-40

- 1.8 Oz

- Designed around a .369 ream (EGW), this is important as the size of the hole in the baffles plays directly into the port size and spacing. This is the ideal setup, it will work with whatever ream your smith has.

- Align ream once installed. The final port exit is machined slightly larger and with a radiused profile so not much materiel comes off it - but you still need to do it.

- Shoot more 2 Alphas

Latest batch fresh off the machine. I tuned up the exit geometry a little.

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

IMG_7195.jpg

The original mounted on my gun, so you can see what it looks like in proportion.

IMG_7207.jpg

IMG_7209.jpg

Edited for sensitive content....

IMG_7212.jpg

More details about the design in the posts below.

Edited by jid2

When I sat down and listed what I wanted out of a compensator I had two goals, first I wanted the design of the ports to be based off of analytical data, not range talk, and second, I wanted it to be as light weight as possible.

In order to get the first part right I started with a properly setup and defined computational fluid dynamics model running as an external system. Knowing how to correctly define the boundary and initial conditions is key. You cannot approach the simulation of a compensator the same way as an intake manifold for example. They are simply nothing alike. I think a lot of the designs and logic floating around out there view them as the same and treat a comp like a steady state system where you are looking to equalize flow rate. A comp is not steady state in how we analyze it, and we don't really care about flow rate. We have a fixed volume of gas, creating pressure, that is going to propagate and dynamically interact its surroundings, and we care about the forces related to those interactions.

CompCFDScreen.jpg

So what does this mean? The ports start small, and get bigger as the gas expands and lowers in pressure traveling through the comp. The spacing of the ports is also a factor, along with the shape and taper of the ports. I progressed through about 30 iterations after I had selected a basic layout, and tuned the size, spacing and shape of each port. Yes the final port is really large, the data kept asking for more so I listened.

IMG_6014.jpg

The upper section of these graphs show the pull forward created by the comp, the larger or taller the graph the more pull forward on the comp and the less recoil you feel. The lower section of the graph shows the downward force, the more negative or lower the curve the more force pushes down, and you get less muzzle rise.

CompCFDPlots.jpg

What about holes in the barrel? One thing I wanted to check was if holes drastically changed how a comp should be designed. I found it did not matter. The basic principles of port layout, size and shape stay the same with or without holes in the barrel. You just use the gas differently. With holes you are going to leverage a higher percentage of your available energy into reducing muzzle rise. Because the pressure wave hits the holes first, and at very high pressure they create a large downward force early in the cycle. Once the rest of the comp becomes saturated with pressure the holes will increase the downward force over a setup without holes. This comes at the expense of reducing the amount of forward pull the comp creates. So it's a trade off. You have the same volume of gas to work with, you choose whether you want to increase "flatness" by adding holes or not.

Here is a graph showing the difference between no holes and 2 3/16" holes.

WithholesvsWithout.jpg

Here's another showing the size of holes, 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4". I like 3/16" personally.

barrelholesize.jpg

Edited by jid2

So now onto the second goal, make it lightweight. This was honestly what made me really get this project moving. I was unhappy with the heavy stainless steel comp hanging off the extreme end of the thing I was trying to move around quickly. This is personal preference, but I do not want to use weight at the end of the gun to balance muzzle flip at all. I have a compensator that is designed to do that with science, I don't need it to literally hold the barrel down. Thus is should be as light as possible, enter titanium and remove as much material as possible. This is the lightest comp you can buy, of any size.

What does this mean to you? This creates beautiful balance, and makes the gun point and transition with blazing speed. I have really enjoyed the feedback I've received on this aspect of the comp. It's something most people don't talk about, but it really makes a nice improvement, and you likely won't know until you've experienced it yourself.

For reference:

CFD Comp: 1.8 Oz

Brazos: 2.8 Oz

Akai: 2.6 Oz

Some photos on the scale.

20140209_190233.jpg

My old comp...

20140209_190223.jpg

Here is some. You need to forward to 5:35 on the video, that is where the shooting is. It's just one stage.

Would this work better for a 9mm major or a .38 Super?

I missed the price?

Any video of same gun, same ammo being fired with

this comp vs any other comps? :cheers:

Price in in the link provided in the OP.

Jid2, thanks for the great science and break down of info, as someone who has just started to shot Open this really very cool info on how it works.

This comp is awesome! I have tried about every comp out there and there is only one or two that gets close to this comp but this is the best overall. I like it so much that I'm ordering another one this week for a new build. Thanks Jared!

The holes in the side add a little stabilization, and you don't loose much with them in the last port in that location.

Here's my old - and I mean old - Open blaster with Jared's comp on it. Using 8.0 hrs WW Auto Comp/121 MG JHP/WWSR primer/mixed 9mm cases. There are three "blow holes", hence the high powder charge. Haven't got to shoot it much due to the crappy winter weather around here but it's as flat a comp as I've ever shot. Extremely pleased with it and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking the best comp for their build.

th_IMG_1046_zpsaf10b701.jpg

I'd just like to let you know, I don't even shoot open... And this has me wanting to give it a whirl! I also have a degree in Mech Engineering, and I really appreciate the fantastic work you put into this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just dropped off my gun for a new barrel and to install the CFD compensator. I really went out on a limb with this new change. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve...I hope the new setup lives up to all the great feed back here. A short report and possible video to come next week.

I'm sure you will like it. It seems there is a lot of subjectivity with comps but after trying seven different ones on three Open guns, I can honestly say this is the best for me. Jared has done some great work on this one.

That is a nice comp design. Nice that is has science behind it instead of voodoo. Is there a 1 degree cut on it.

Thanks

No 1 degree cut. Because removing material from the back of the comp is often part of the fitting process, I leave it up to the installer on where they put the relief.

I'm planning to do a "How To" for installing comps so people can see all the different areas that typically need to be dealt with on a comp install. I was surprised the number of things you need to be aware of when I got walked through the first one.

I just got this beauty into my hot little hands on Friday, but unfortunately don't have time to shoot until the fifth :(

IMG_20141219_231722_zps97pibvc4.jpg

I'm extremely excited :)

Looks awesome, is that olive drab? That setup should be a real shooter as they say.

No, it's burnt bronze. This was what it looked like in the ad:

post-19787-0-70633700-1417376020_zpsuond

I thought I would re finish it, but it turned out to be less bling bling in person so I think I like it :)

Just added a "how to" post on comp installation and pinned it.

My gun finally made it back home and was able to put it through a short practice session yesterday. A big shout out to Greg Peine of Peine Customs for a speedy delivery and Ben and Arron of Hayes Customs for fitting the barrel. The CFD comp replaced a Trubore blank with a Cameron Custom cut comp with (3) 3/16" popple holes in the barrel. My current load (8.7gr 3N37, 1.230", 124 gr MG) chrono 170pf with my old set up at my last major (Space City Challenge) and 175pf with the new setup; Schuemann barrel and CFD comp with identical popple holes. My gun is a full size and sports a Brazos slide, PT steel grip, tungsten guide rod and DP brass magwell. Please keep in mind I have not shot in about 3 months and I am a little rusty.

In a nut shell, these are what I noticed with my new setup. The gun seems a little harder to drive. I needed a stronger than normal grip to control my shots. The gun is lighter on the end and weight distribution is more in the hand. On a table start, the tip of the gun was raised off the table making it harder to grab. Recoil impulse seems to be sharper and slide movement seems to cycle faster. With the Cameron comp, the gun shot softer compared to the CFD comp and seemed to not cycle as fast. I didn't notice any huge gains in transitions due to my gun being on the heavy side. As far as vertical dot movement, I didn't notice any less with the CFD comp. It seems to be very close to the Cameron comp. With the CFD comp the gun returned to the same point of aim more naturally. Playing around with different grip pressure and positions it seems that the CFD comp was very forgiving in this department. With the old set up, dot movement had irregular movement when I played with different grips and hand pressures. Now, the biggest improvement. With the CFD comp I no longer had ANY figure 8 movement with the dot....WOW!!!!!!! For comparative analysis, I am a Master class Open shooter.

I am not the most computer literate person out there and do not know how to post vids. I will be running the comp in a local match this Saturday (weather permitting) and hope to have footage of the gun in action. If someone wants to PM a email to me I can send a link to the vids and help me post it here for members.

Thanks,

Teng Lo

TY69037