Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-handed slide release

Dacsoft

Which gun are we talking about?

For my 1911 single stack, I found an interesting way to do it.

If you are not running a 1911, fastest way is to use thumb/web of thumb on slide in front of ejection port with right hand.

You could also grab slide on rear serrations and pull back and release.

as right hand seats the mag the fingers reach under and hit the mag release while you are rolling out and establishing your grip.

slamming the gun/mag to get an autoforward is ignoring a part designed and built to do the exact job you're referring to, releasing the slide. slamming to get the autofwd is like slamming your car door to look the door as it's worked a few times before and saves you from pushing the lock button as you get out of the car.

Not a lefty but I would think the choices are this:

a) grab slide with weakhand and pull back

b ) buy a gun with ambi controls

c) buy a gun that auto forwards when a magazine is inserted(e.g. S&W M&P)

d) place your index finger on the slide stop/release, and as the magazine gets driven home, push the gun up into the strong hand finger, which will drop the slide. Works great, is really fast. (Note: don't just push down with your index finger, otherwise you'll release the slide early sometimes. Let the magazine being seated drive the gun up into your hand/finger.)

a) works fine, B) is great if you can get it, I wouldn't rely on c ever, and I use d) with no issues.

I use

B doesn't really work with a M&P, the way the slide stop is built the right side has way more resistance than the left side

C with a CZ shadow and M&P.

D works great for me, very easy to do with guns that have a slide release that sticks out a bit (1911s and CZs) bit harder to do on ones that have a lower profile (some Glocks and the M&P). Really this is very similar to C, you're autoforwarding with the inertia of your finger instead of the inertia of the slide stop/mag follower.

Edited by TerryYu

Im Iefty, I use my trigger finger to press the slide release. I have also experimented with using my middle finger on my support hand. After seating the mag, your middle finger on your support hand is almost touching the slide release, if you fingers are extended. If you can train yourself to find the slide release this is also an option.

Thanks guys. I will have to try a couple of these options and see what works best for me. I currently use the slingshot method, but want to try D and see if that is any quicker.

Much. Really.

In one of my classes, we went through most of the methods, and several people were dubious about D being that much quicker. (The method also works for right-handed people, they just put the thumb on the slide stop/release instead.)

So we timed them all.

Most had a preferred method that they had put a lot of practice into, which was NOT choice D. After about 3 minutes of practice of method D (that's it, no more), we timed about 3 good reloads of each method for each person.

D was consistently measurably faster. (At worst, D was about 0.5 seconds faster on slidelock reloads. At best, it was a lot more.)

Using a 1911, I install an extended slide lock/stop lever that is longer and possibly a little wider with a flat shelf.

This allows me to seat the mag with my right hand and then reach up with my right hand fingers (middle one) and release the slide.

Works great, but I am going to try method "D" of putting my trigger finger on the stop and see how that works.

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

As a lefty, when I reload, I do the following:

1) insert the mag

2) rotate the gun just enough where I can grab the slide with my thumb and operate it, and my other fingers on my support hand are ready to go into the grip

3) release the slide by racking it with my thumb

4) establish the grip

At a TDSA course in Tulsa the instructor, Marshall Luton, made a very good point to me. He said, "If us lefties start making changes to our gun to better suit us, what happens when we NEED a gun and the one we pick up is a right handed gun?" In other words, learn to use the majority functions of stock firearms.. It might save your life..