Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

300 Blackout RCBS small base 2 die set

JimP42

I am getting set up for 300BLK reloading on my 550, and I am looking at this die set since Dillon doesn't make one. 3 questions:

1) Any feedback on this choice? I'm not going for ultimate accuracy loads - no micrometer seating dies needed!

2) Is there a big disadvantage to seating and crimping in the same station? Dillon dies separate it, presumably for good reason. What am I giving up?

3) Has anyone used the extra station a 2 die set frees up for a powder check or trimmer? I'd love to be able to squeeze in a powder check with my Dillon 223 dies (without going to 650 or 1050).

Thanks,

Jim

Dillion's website lists carbide and non-carbide die sets in 300 blackout, as well as a 550b caliber conversion kit.

I just see the carbide Dillon die. I didn't see that before but I'm not going to be loading enough to spend that much. No non-carbide that I can see. Did I miss it somewhere?

I think I just need the AK powder die since I'm already set up for 223.

Still interested in discussion about my 3 questions...

Thanks

Edited by JimP42

Well, I can tell you that a trimmer won't work with the other dies, it takes up too much space on a 650 tool head it blocks the station on either side of the trim die.

Not many favor seat and crimp with the same die. I bet there are more rifle shooters that just seat and don't crimp at all than seat and crimp with the same die.

I have and use RCBS rifle dies and they are fine. There are other dies out there that are easier to remove stuck cases though.

Edited by jmorris

• 2 weeks later...

You don't really need small base dies UNLESS you plan on reforming 5.56 brass to make 300 BLK cases. They stress the brass more than regular dies and you'll get fewer reloads out of each case. The Lee Pacesetter set will work just fine if you're not reforming and it comes with the Lee Factory Crimp Die which a lot of people use if they're crimping.

On the other hand, if you are reforming cases, the RCBS dies are a great choice.

Edited by tcoz

I am using the RCBS small base die set for my 300aac loads. I am reforming 223/556 cases. I have run into no issues with my setup. I use very minimal crimp when seating bullets and have no issue with that either. I

-trim my brass with a trim jig and 2" chop saw

-lube, resize/decrimp

-tumble

-clean primer pocket

-prime

-seat/minimal crimp

-shoot

All great info - thanks!

I was thinking that I would probably start with the small base RCBS set, and decide later whether to add the Lee factory crimp die to make it a 3 die set. Sounds like that may not be needed, but it's nice to have the option. No issues with bullets creeping in or out of the case in handling or recoil with minimal crimp? Is cannelure helpful or irrelevant for light crimping?

Is it only the first time after the conversion that the small base sizer is needed? Maybe I'll use a different sizer eventually if I end up shooting blackout enough to worry about the number of reloads. Could just get the Pacesetter set for the regular sizer and FCD.

Biammo - make sure to put some powder in your cases too :D Otherwise, that is my plan too.

I have the RCBS small base size dies and Lee FCD. Actually, I have a FCD for every caliber I reload. I just got a case stuck in my 300 Blk die. I have been using the RCBS to form from 5.56 brass. I probably should have let the lube dry a little longer than I did, oh well, live and learn.

I have the RCBS small base size dies and Lee FCD. Actually, I have a FCD for every caliber I reload. I just got a case stuck in my 300 Blk die. I have been using the RCBS to form from 5.56 brass. I probably should have let the lube dry a little longer than I did, oh well, live and learn.

If you switch over to Imperial sizing wax for the cases and Imperial dry neck lube for the necks, you'll never have to deal with stuck cases again. It's quick, easy and very effective.

• 1 year later...

You don't really need small base dies UNLESS you plan on reforming 5.56 brass to make 300 BLK cases. They stress the brass more than regular dies and you'll get fewer reloads out of each case. The Lee Pacesetter set will work just fine if you're not reforming and it comes with the Lee Factory Crimp Die which a lot of people use if they're crimping.

On the other hand, if you are reforming cases, the RCBS dies are a great choice.

So does the small base die for the 300aac blackout reforms the die after its been cut down?

Can you use the small base die even when your casing are already been formed?

On the stuck casings, I load for 223/5.56 using rcbs with very little to no lube, and never had a stuck casing, harder to run but never got stuck (knock on wood). For the rcbs dies in 300 blk out have you ever had any issues? I have switched from a Dillon sizer die cause of that issue.

Edited by MARKAVELI

You can use the small base dies to reform the brass after it's been cut down and before reforming or you can use it for resizing after it's been reformed. It's just that small base dies aren't necessary for general resizing unless your gun has a tight chamber and you find that your dies aren't sizing it down far enough.

If you aren't lubricating any bottleneck case including 223/5.56 then you're playing with fire and it's only a matter of time, probably sooner rather than later. It's also easier on your dies and your arms if you lube.

I do not use small base dies. Only necessary if your chamber is very tight on your rifle. I use Hornady dies and lanolin homebrew lube with no issues. I only use LC Brass for my 300 BO brass as it doesnt have issues with case mouths being too thick.

My process is similar to everyone else:

Decrimp LC brass with RCBS crimp cutter

Cut to length with saw

Tumble in SSTL media to deburr

Lube with lanolin

Size with Hornady die

Trim with WFT

Tumble in SSTL media to deburr

I know some guys like to anneal before they size but I dont have an annealer.