Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM MAJOR FLAT

Shmella

HS6 should get you there with that setup. Rather than chasing the ultimate in flat though, you might be better off for now just working up a consistent load with the powder you have and then spend some time just getting used to the gun and its timing. It'll take a while to know if it will hold you back.

Ransom Rest results are at the links below. The Ransom Rest demonstrates the physics behind gunpowder selection and bullet weight and compensator function. However, as noted, there might be subjective factors and gun design features that influence a person's preference for a given bullet weight or gunpowder. These are things that are hard to measure and hands on testing with your gun and trigger time.

The basics with a compensator:

Bullet weight - light bullets have less muzzle rise than heavy bullets when loaded to the same power factor because they require more gunpowder.

Gunpowder - a powder that requires more weight for the same power factor produces less muzzle rise. More weight means more gas for the compensator.

These principles are reversed when you take the compensator off.

Bullet weight: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/power-factor-recoil-bullet-weight-compensators/

Gunpowder selection: http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/compensators-pressure-gas/

IMO, "flat" really doesn't matter. Everyone is chasing "flat". Consistent movement is much more important. I want a gun that recoils in a consistent, predictable manner. The better you get at Open, you really start timing the gun more than anything else.

While my gun is very flat, I am shooting by timeing the gun. I already know WHEN the dot will return.

what power factor do you recommend for an ideal major load? right around 170 or over?

That all depends on the gun, a shorty with three holes might shoot softest at 150pf, while a full sized gun with no holes might shoot softest at 175pf. By the time my shorty hits 170pf it's pretty nasty with 115s, 124s calm it down a little and I'd like to try 135s just for giggles. The powder charge makes the gas and I think at some point you're just making more gas than the comp can use.

Hello: Power factor will depend on what comp you have. If you want a flat shooting gun you may need a higher power factor to get more gas. The problem is if you go too high it will hit your hand harder. I prefer softer and flatter so I run my comp at 171-173PF to make the chrono wherever I go. Some powders when you get the gun to shoot flatter actually the dot tracks like a figure 8 making follow up shots slower for me. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I had to go up to about 185-187 power factor before my open gun started to shoot flat. I have shot some really hot 38 super comp stuff in some other peoples guns and yes they shot like 22s. the problem is the brass costs .22 - .25 each.

I had to go up to about 185-187 power factor before my open gun started to shoot flat. I have shot some really hot 38 super comp stuff in some other peoples guns and yes they shot like 22s. the problem is the brass costs .22 - .25 each.

It's actually more like 15 cents.

• 1 month later...