Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 929 Load Data

NoSteel

5 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Hmmm.

After 400 rounds or so of sns 147's (.356) my accuracy was going off. Put a bore light to it and the barrel is leaded up really heavy all the way to the muzzle. 

I'm new to this gun so may be missing something obvious, perhaps .356 diameter is part of the issue and the bullet is skidding in the grooves or something. 

Thoughts?

Have shot going on 10,000 rounds or so of this load in my cz's with zero leading issues. 

Are these plated or lead bullets?  And do you know what kind of speed you are getting?  I've been running .355" 147gr copper plated bullets at ~910fps without any problems in my 929's. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

Are these plated or lead bullets?  And do you know what kind of speed you are getting?  I've been running .355" 147gr copper plated bullets at ~910fps without any problems in my 929's. 

Coated, very similar to bayou - chrono was 857,847,854,859,845,862,860 (need 850.34 to make 125 pf).

Perhaps I am getting a bit of blow by, titegroup is referred to as a hot powder by some and I possibly could not be pushing the lead hard enough to fully seal the bore?

If I can ever get all the lead out (I really hate messing with a badly leaded barrel, visually it appears worse closer to the muzzle if that means anything) I think I'm tempted to try a few .358's and see what happens.  

17 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Coated, very similar to bayou - chrono was 857,847,854,859,845,862,860 (need 850.34 to make 125 pf).

Perhaps I am getting a bit of blow by, titegroup is referred to as a hot powder by some and I possibly could not be pushing the lead hard enough to fully seal the bore?

If I can ever get all the lead out (I really hate messing with a badly leaded barrel, visually it appears worse closer to the muzzle if that means anything) I think I'm tempted to try a few .358's and see what happens.  

Definitely sounds like you are getting some blowby.  Sorry, no experience with the coated bullets.  What sort of crimp are you doing?  I've seen on copper plated bullets, you can crimp too much which can cut through the copper plating, as well as swage down the bullet even smaller.  Could that be happening to your reloads?

4 hours ago, VanMan1961 said:

Definitely sounds like you are getting some blowby.  Sorry, no experience with the coated bullets.  What sort of crimp are you doing?  I've seen on copper plated bullets, you can crimp too much which can cut through the copper plating, as well as swage down the bullet even smaller.  Could that be happening to your reloads?

I think the crimp is good, long story short it is about what you have to have to remove all flare from the bullet and very little more.

Playing around with some coated.358's, pushing those through my cylinder requires some firm tapping and scrapes a good portion of the coating off of the side of the bullet. I had fired 400 - 500 .356's without cleaning anything and had noticed at the end that bullets were not dropping in like they did at first (cylinder was starting to show sign of being dirty), am wondering if perhaps after x number of rounds I was starting to scrape coating away as the bullets traveled from cylinder to barrel. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 3:05 PM, seanc said:

Federal brass is what I settled on, but Speer brass also works fine for me.

The load I shot all last season was a .358 160g bayou @1.175 with 2.7 of tg for 805 fps.

I am slowly looking at another loads for this season based on clays, but I am still struggling with getting it to meter on very light drops. I have the xss powder bar but it still is having random drops that are .3 to .4 low and those are going over the chrono -50fps and would fail to make even 120pf. This is an icore load, so 120 is the bar...

I am told the arredondo bar fixes this, will be trying one out.

The bullets do not creep under recoil at that oal? 

(Playing with the same load but at 1.2 I have issues so yours looks like a good thing to try next)

I had no creep with that length and load.   The only bullets I have messed with so far that slip are .357 copper extremes.

Since that post, I switched back to the clays load.   2.5@1.200 COAL and 780 fps, these do not slip but I do size with an EGW U-die.

These are accurate and soft like most clays loads are, in that they are not blasty, though after having shot another guys gun at the IRC with a 100% different take on things, everything I thought I believed about this stuff is out the window and I am making changes.

I have to shoot .358 Bayou's to get the accuracy and no leading I want.

.356 caused leading in mine, do to "poor fit" of bullet to cyl/bbl.

Poor fit is a catch all for any bullet dia. your gun doesn't like.

Try a larger bullet dia. after you get your gun clean.

• 1 month later...

5.2>5.6 gr Autocomp @ 1.09 " with Zero 115 9 mm conical projectile #135 is under 2" at fifty yards out of a rest. 5.2 gr out of a 5" M&P with a KKM barrel is 1157  Average FPS over 22 shots. 1118 average FPS over 24 shots 929.

5.6 BE @1.12" oal with a Zero 147 gr JHP is also a good load. 22 shot average 5" M&P is 938 FPS. 24 shot average 938 FPS 929.

Next project is 125 JHP .38 

Tom

Edited by 9146gt
added Aol

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got my 929 the other day and out to the range. I had no issues with RS Clips and Winchester Brass NO STICKING.

These are from my trip note weather was 25f so I didn't stay long all shots over chrono at measure 10ft.   I had no issues with accuracy at about 9 yards while shooting thru chrono.

Slide1.JPG

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the great info thus far. I just got a 929 this past weekend, so trying to figure out where to start for reloading. I've loaded many loads for 9mm auto, fwiw. 

I've settled on

.358 160gr Bayou

2.7gr N320

1.18 OAL

Alternating primers between Federals and Fiocchi (non-tox).  The Fiocchi are MUCH cleaner.  Just need to run through a few hundred rounds to make sure they are soft enough before I decide to ditch the dirty Federals . I did however set one off (Fiocchi) in the 650 with a double squeeze. The gun is a lot cleaner with the Fiocchi

Guess which primer>?

.brass.thumb.jpg.a6bf0d3310f31cb6a26f7f14803eb76f.jpg

Edited by MikeyScuba

On 3/29/2018 at 11:31 AM, MikeyScuba said:

I've settled on

.358 160gr Bayou

2.7gr N320

1.18 OAL

Alternating primers between Federals and Fiocchi (non-tox).  The Fiocchi are MUCH cleaner.  Just need to run through a few hundred rounds to make sure they are soft enough before I decide to ditch the dirty Federals . I did however set one off (Fiocchi) in the 650 with a double squeeze. The gun is a lot cleaner with the Fiocchi

Guess which primer>?

.brass.thumb.jpg.a6bf0d3310f31cb6a26f7f14803eb76f.jpg

Keep us posted on your findings

• 11 months later...

Hi from Australia new to this trying to use my 929 for 25m bullseye should I be using a lighter bullet like a 125 gn I see a lot of you guys are using 150 > 

All of my pass bullseye loads I have found a light 115 - 125 gives the best grouping over this distance 

• 1 year later...

I was about to order some Bayou 160g’s to try in my 929 after reading recommendations from some older (2015) post. I noticed a lot of folks are using the .358” ones and are saying that a .357” will basically fall through their chamber throats.
 Tested my newer model with some .355” 135g blue bullets and they need a very slight tap to fall through my chamber throats. I’d have to hammer a .357 to get them through. It shoots nice tight groups with the .355 blues so I’ll probably order that size in the 160’s

All this said because I’m wondering if the larger chamber throats and barrels is typical of older 929’s and if others with a newer 929 is seeing the same thing I am. 

Yikes.  Hard to believe it’s been 3 years since I posted above.  Of course the Fiochcci’s didn’t work in a lightened revo, only Federals worked.

That being said I’m curious to see how they keep a comp clean in an open 2011.  

I do have a new 929, have to see if I use the .358 in it or the 158 .355 plated I’ve bought.