Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson SNL +1 basepads

3djedi

Is there some trick to getting capacity with these base pads. It says you can get up 22 rounds on starts and 20 on speed reloads but I am getting only 19 with force enough to dent the top case. I'm using the DP follower.......With the stock STI mag and follower I get 18.

https://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000004C-1388517799

You might try the Grams or Taran followers and respective 11 coil springs. I am currently using Dawson SNL +1 base pads with TT 11 coil springs/followers and I can easily get 20 rounds in and smash 21 in the mag with a mag loader. I have a few mags with the Grams setup and they will also hold 20 rounds fairly easily. If you use the Taran setup, you may have to slightly bend the spring so it sits flat in the Dawson base pad. Also, the capacity for each specific mag may depend directly on the actual STI tube as the dimensions can vary.

Every tube is different and even if your tubes are tuned and you have the right guts, you still might not get 22.

I've gotten 22 in a Rescomp tube with Bolen (TTI) guts and 3mm pad but it was so tight that I couldn't lock the mag in. Even if I were able to lock it in, I'm sure the grip would start cracking around the mag catch hole eventually.

With a stock STI tube and the right basepad and guts, 20 rounds would be a good result, IMO. 21 would be an excellent result.

Hello: How many coils on your spring? Should be 11. I get 20 rounds reloadable using Dawson "SNL" , Dawson 40 follower and a ISMI spring with 11 coils. This is with STI 40 mag tubes. Thanks, Eric

I haven't counted but it's the stock sti 140mm mag spring.....

I'm using DP plus 1 SNL base pads and the DP followers/stock STI springs in some magazines and the Grams kits in others. I am getting 20 rounds in all 40SW 140mm STI magazines. A couple of them will fit 21 if I use an Upula loader.

Sounds like you have a hang up somewhere.

My 14 magazines have different combinations of springs and followers, but some hold 20 (very tight), four hold 20 (easily reloadable) and a few hold 19. I have mixed and matched Taran followers and springs, Grams, Dawson, stock etc. and the ones that hold 19 will still hold only 19. the same with the ones that hold 20. There is one I can get 21 in, but it can only be loaded with the slide locked to the rear. I have measured and examined and still cannot tell why some hold more than others. :blush:

SNL, Grams and stock tubes gets me 20 and plenty of room for easy reloads. Watch the length on the SNL bases. I had 2 that would not fit the gage. I had to machine .013 off the bottom which left them thin and easily dented when dropped on rocky ground.