Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 MOA challenge

toothandnail

My mistake, I can submit targets with ragged holes, but some of the guys doing so took a bit of guff. I guess the point of the challenge is to see what folks can do consitently instead of best efforts. Seems odd that 5 groups of 5 shots with only one attempt wasn't the criteria. I guess one can shoot the drill over and over and then submit their best efforts.

Last night I was looking over the old National Shooter's League stuff from the late 1970's. The NSL was started in my home town. The target we used out to 33 yards was about 3 inches high and 2 3/8 wide. That was an X ring, 10 ring, 9 ring, and everything else a miss. Some of the shooters were National Bullseye Champions, multiple Gold Medal holders from the Pan Am games, Olympic Gold Medalists, etc.

I know the web is a breeding grounds for some really outlandish claims and plenty of BS, but there are some pretty good shooters lurking around. BTW, here is a pic of the group I shot with my open gun. The gun was built by Matt McClearn and I am comfortable saying it is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

open.jpg

That is some pretty impressive shooting buddy!!!

When you were shooting this challenge, how much of your dot consumed the target? Was the dot bigger than the black circle or smaller? I am not an open shooter but the few open guns I have shot with a 6 - 8 MOA dot seem hard to shoot super accurate groups far away because the dot its self if completely consuming/covering the same place you are aiming at.

My mistake, I can submit targets with ragged holes, but some of the guys doing so took a bit of guff. I guess the point of the challenge is to see what folks can do consitently instead of best efforts. Seems odd that 5 groups of 5 shots with only one attempt wasn't the criteria. I guess one can shoot the drill over and over and then submit their best efforts.

Last night I was looking over the old National Shooter's League stuff from the late 1970's. The NSL was started in my home town. The target we used out to 33 yards was about 3 inches high and 2 3/8 wide. That was an X ring, 10 ring, 9 ring, and everything else a miss. Some of the shooters were National Bullseye Champions, multiple Gold Medal holders from the Pan Am games, Olympic Gold Medalists, etc.

I know the web is a breeding grounds for some really outlandish claims and plenty of BS, but there are some pretty good shooters lurking around. BTW, here is a pic of the group I shot with my open gun. The gun was built by Matt McClearn and I am comfortable saying it is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

open.jpg

That is some pretty impressive shooting buddy!!!

When you were shooting this challenge, how much of your dot consumed the target? Was the dot bigger than the black circle or smaller? I am not an open shooter but the few open guns I have shot with a 6 - 8 MOA dot seem hard to shoot super accurate groups far away because the dot its self if completely consuming/covering the same place you are aiming at.

Well assuming he is shooting a 6 or 8 MOA dot then it would be between 1.5-2" at 25 yards. Which really isn't that big of an area. If you can shoot smaller than 1.5" at 25 unsupported, haha well then I guess get a smaller dot?

Good shooting Ron!

The dot was smaller. I am shooting a 12 MOA dot. Yeah, I stacked them up. I have always been blessed with a small wobble zone. It seems like shooting a slow fire group is still what I do the best. I understand slow fire precision shooting rather well. Timed and rapid fire were a different story and that's the wall I hit back in the 1980's.

In 1983 (?) Brian Enos shot 505 consecutive falling plates against the clock at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards. That kind of calm under pressure and consistency is something I can not even fathom.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

open.jpg

That's awesome shooting, I'd be happy if that was my rifle target :lol:

Well not at 25yds

Edited by toothandnail