Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 MOA challenge

toothandnail

Anybody here try the http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1626899_ARFCOM_25_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_HANDGUN_CHALLENGE.html ?

I tried it today, while I'm no sharpshooter by any means, I thought I would do better

Here's my target

25 rounds at 25 yards, standing, 9mm , hand loads, Burris FFlll , looks like I need to adjust my dot slightly

mtuKHGxl.jpg

2XGP39El.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

Is this the link your trying ?

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=b1c22b75774a66bb&id=B1C22B75774A66BB%21116&ithint=folder,.pdf&authkey=!AKnb6RddVQtQaTw

It pops up 3 choices of targets to print. The pdf will print 7 pages of targets, the target stays the same size ( I think ) just the space around it gets bigger.

1 target on a single page

1 target on 2 pages, tape together

1 target on 4 pages, tape together ( for those REALLY bad shooters :surprise: )

Seems the updates get pushed back until here are several to add, lets get a bunch sent in, I should be 2nd in open , 16th overall ( til you dead-eye's post up)

see how good we really are :sight:

Like I said earlier, it's harder that I figured it would be, guess it's the 25 shots at one target without some fliers

I seemed to get my fliers when I slowed down ( kinda hard to see real good at 75 feet)

I did it twice

1st, firing slowly = 28.72moa took about 90 seconds to shoot it

2nd 19.17moa shot it in 35- 40 seconds

Anybody here try the http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1626899_ARFCOM_25_MOA_ALL_DAY_LONG_HANDGUN_CHALLENGE.html ?

I tried it today, while I'm no sharpshooter by any means, I thought I would do better

Here's my target

25 rounds at 25 yards, standing, 9mm , hand loads, Burris FFlll , looks like I need to adjust my dot slightly

mtuKHGxl.jpg

2XGP39El.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Unless you're trying to shoot someone's ear off.

Went to my favorite canyon near my home to try a couple targets. Shot my new Tanfoglio Witness Limited .45ACP. Pistol is stock except I added a UltraDot Matchdot II to help my old eyes. Here is my target stand at 25 yds measured with a 100' tape.

005_zps367e3b56.jpg

002_zps93f04ba6.jpg

Clean target:

026_zps71de02e1.jpg

After 25 shots, 2 handed, no support.

030_zpsd003ec34.jpg

Target with pistol and handloads, 200SWC Bayou Bullet, 3.0g Bullseye, 1.250 OAL (without the 2 low shots the group is 3.700 CTC)

032_zps006fde61.jpg

With caliper showing 4.92" OTO, 4.468" CTC, 17.07 MOA

054_zpsd7050cbc.jpg

Edited by NickD

I also shot my open .22lr target pistol. It is a Colt Gold Cup Trophy lower with a Nelson Custom .22 conversion. Pistol is all stock except I have tweaked the trigger to 2# 5oz. It also has an UltraDot MatchDot II.

Same target stand at 25 yds.

003_zpsb4254af1.jpg

I shoot standing next to my truck bed so most of the brass goes in there, less to pick up.

004_zps10f28a81.jpg

Clean target.

020_zps818ececb.jpg

After 25 shots, 2 handed, no support.

021_zps2f4cdf69.jpg

Target with pistol and CCI-SV ammo.

025_zpsb80bb08c.jpg

Target with calipers showing 3.600" OTO, 3.377" CTC, 12.90 MOA

051_zps564bc21c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I shot the drill yesterday with my carry gun and with my open blaster. I shot each drill one time. Of the 25 rounds through the open gun, 24 were really good but one round went into left field and kind of messed things up a bit. The group with my carry gun was pretty good and looked like what I would have expected 25 years ago from my old PPC revolvers and/or bullseye guns. Both groups were in the 3" ball park. I don't think I can enter the groups on the AR15 website because they need to be able to count all 25 holes.

Why do they have a requirement of being able to "Count all 25 holes"? That seems kind of retarded when you are littering the target with 25 hits. If you and your gear are on there are going to be some very close hits on top of one another or the center of the target will get shot out completely. If they want to see all 25 holes it would make more sense if they had you shoot at 5 different targets with only 5 shots each all in the same session.

My mistake, I can submit targets with ragged holes, but some of the guys doing so took a bit of guff. I guess the point of the challenge is to see what folks can do consitently instead of best efforts. Seems odd that 5 groups of 5 shots with only one attempt wasn't the criteria. I guess one can shoot the drill over and over and then submit their best efforts.

Last night I was looking over the old National Shooter's League stuff from the late 1970's. The NSL was started in my home town. The target we used out to 33 yards was about 3 inches high and 2 3/8 wide. That was an X ring, 10 ring, 9 ring, and everything else a miss. Some of the shooters were National Bullseye Champions, multiple Gold Medal holders from the Pan Am games, Olympic Gold Medalists, etc.

I know the web is a breeding grounds for some really outlandish claims and plenty of BS, but there are some pretty good shooters lurking around. BTW, here is a pic of the group I shot with my open gun. The gun was built by Matt McClearn and I am comfortable saying it is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned.

open.jpg

Edited by Ron Ankeny