Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PR weight

usmc1974

I have a Savage model 10 fcp, with choate tactical stock, Leupold mk 4 8-25x50 scope, Harris bipod and Darkeagle 10 round mag. It tips the scale at about 14.5 pounds. Seems a might heavy. My lilja 20"AR10 with Leupold mk 4 4.5-14x50 with Harris runs about 11 pounds. What does your PR run?

Yeah the trap door for the cleaning kit in the stock has a solid lead weight and there is also 2 big solid lead weights under the front hand guard. Its a heavy barrel rifle and it has a steel free float tube.

It needs to be heavy for a few reasons. One, for off hand (standing) at 200 yards its really steady, a light rifle will shake alot. Two, there is no recoil at all so for rapid fire it pretty much stays right on target. Because there is no recoil you can touch your nose to the charging handle for off hand for a reference point.

Nothing wrong with weight, its just more cushion for less pushin.

• 1 month later...

My Savage Model 12 LRP in 260 in a McCree chassis, Vortex 6-24 PST, and Harris bipod runs up in the 16lb range. I am thankful my 700 in 308 runs closer to the 12lb range with a McMillan stock with the same scope on it. Not exactly light by any means...and this is before a suppressor!.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I finally decided to get a little more serious with it. Working up a load for it now. It's a 6.5 CM. Was supposed to go to the range today but I ran out of time. Will probably go tomorrow right before the game, so I'm hoping to catch an empty range, and get back in time to put my stuff up and watch the game. I'm trying to shoot a local match up in Va the end of the month, and I'm signed up for PRS matches at Woodys and Peacemaker for March. You should come back out and shoot with us. I need someone with a Phd to help me with my geometry!

Yes, I finally decided to get a little more serious with it. Working up a load for it now. It's a 6.5 CM. Was supposed to go to the range today but I ran out of time. Will probably go tomorrow right before the game, so I'm hoping to catch an empty range, and get back in time to put my stuff up and watch the game. I'm trying to shoot a local match up in Va the end of the month, and I'm signed up for PRS matches at Woodys and Peacemaker for March. You should come back out and shoot with us. I need someone with a Phd to help me with my geometry!

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I need to get out to the range with you and see your two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. I'm not surprised you matched caliber to your other long-range capable rifle.

I like your plan for tomorrow. I hope it works out like you want it. I need to get out and shot more in 2015, no doubt. I'll be in touch. :-)

All that under 15 lbs. Nice!!

• 4 weeks later...