Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time to take the 1050 plunge again

A few years ago, I was a happy 1050 owner. I had access to unlimited free brass from a local range and subguns to feed. My machine ran like a top and cranked out ammo that made me happy. I started chasing one promotion after the next across the US and reloading took a back seat for a long time.

These days I shoot maybe a match a month and 1000-2000 rounds depending on my schedule. I have 550 and a square deal that work great. My single greatest complaint is crimped primers being mixed in with bulk discount 9mm brass. All I want is a single caliber 1050 in 9mm to load one simple load over and over without ever having to curse crimped in primers again. I want to set the machine once, use the same boring load over and over and load lots of ammo in a small period of time. One week there might two hours and then 30 minutes the next to load.

In the prefect world I could feed my existing machine pre-processed brass and never having a head ache. In the long run I think I will save time and money to buy another 1050

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas...

I basically use my s1050 for 9mm, and 9mm only. Personally I require about 2000 rounds per month, and prefer not to spend 4 hours sitting in front of a press. I do spend some additional time on case prep, so I really wanted to keep my time running the press to a minimum.

Over all I've been extremely happy with it, it makes great ammo.... in large volumes. Since justifying the purchase I've started to let a friend use it, while he doesn't shoot 2000 rounds a month, he does shoot a fair amount, but can easily reload a month or two worth of 9mm in just a few hours.

While I still have my trusty 550b kicking around, I'd really like to get all my calibers setup on the s1050 because it is such a better experience to run. I recently bought a .40 caliber conversion kit for it also, although I don't shoot .40 as often as 9mm, I had a ton of brass and bullets.... and the bottom end of the machines does not need to be changed, so the conversion should be pretty simple and straight forward.

As I've become more comfortable with the s1050 I really wish I could do all my reloading on it. I plan on adding a second s1050 shortly, probably within the next two months. That machines will be dedicated to processing .223/.300 blackout, and reloading each.

Nothing about the s1050 and caliber conversions are cheap, but if you only plan on running one caliber..... you really can't beat it. Best money I've ever spent for any press or reloading accessory.

~g

I shoot 1000-2000 rounds/month. My complaint is crimped primers.

I could feed my machine pre-processed brass

Two thoughts:

1. I don't own a 1050, but think I 've read here on BE that while

the 1050 does a good job on crimped brass, it's NOT 100%???

(Not sure I'm correct on that). :sight:

2. Be a lot easier/cheaper to just discard crimped brass and

load it on your existing machine.

BUT, nothing wrong with owning a 1050 (except for the $$$$). :cheers:

It's understandable, you had a 1050, you tasted the best, you enjoyed it, now you want it back!

It 's that simple.

Quit trying to justify it and just get it.

If it helps take the guilt away, sell one of the other machines.

But then, there's no law against having 3 Dillons! :)

If you could find a good used RL1050B you might be happier. I think it is a better tool for pistol cartridges, especially 9mm, 38 Super and 38 Special.

They just seem to do everything better & with less trouble. The XL650 is a great reloader if you don't have To deal with crimped primer pockets.

1. I don't own a 1050, but think I 've read here on BE that while

the 1050 does a good job on crimped brass, it's NOT 100%???

(Not sure I'm correct on that). :sight:

2. Be a lot easier/cheaper to just discard crimped brass and

load it on your existing machine.

1. If someone did say that I would disagree. The swagging station is mechanically sound and can't help but to reform primer pocket to same dimensions every time. Runs 100% on my machine.

2. One could discard crimped brass but that would mean inspecting every piece. I go the opposite direction and buy only once fired military brass. Love the stuff.

If you came here for the little push to get you over the edge, then you have come to the right place.

I now have 3 1050's and one 550. The poor old 550 has to have the cobwebs cleaned off of it when it comes time for it to see some use. Get the 1050's and get cranking. Good news about a 1050 is that you can buy it, use it for ten years and sell it for a couple hundred less than you paid for it.