Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 Essentials

DRobson

Yes you can take it out in Limited. In fact most everyone does since it doesn't actually do what it's supposed to do and requires you to run a heavy have spring to smash the firing pin past it. :)

I have a write up on here somewhere that goes into detail about the uselessness of the Tanfoglio FPB.

This One? It Makes sense.

IMHO "no".
First of all I wouldn't carry a 1911 cocked and locked unless it had a firing pin block (safety) on it, which many of them do. Now the firing pin safeties (blocks) on 1911's are either disengaged by the trigger or the grip safety, which should ensure the user is at least holding the weapon before it can fire.
The mechanism on the EAA/Tanfoglio that disengages the firing pin block is the sear itself. There is an arm coming off the top of the sear (you can see it when you take the slide off) that disengages the firing pin block when the sear disengages. IMHO this is a very poor design. Also the block is passive, meaning its normally off, so if the gun isn't fully in battery the firing pin block is off. It only "engages" when the sear is locked into the hammer.
The firing pin block is supposed to guard against accidental discharge if the sear disengages accidentally, and in the 1911 designs it does. However if the sear disengages on the EAA/Tanfoglio that also will possibly disengage the firing pin block, so IMHO the firing pin block on the EAA/Tanfoglio pistols give people a false sense of safety. I would not trust my life to that design.
That's my $.02.

Edited by 2brothersguns

• 1 month later...

I thought those were soft, compared to the EGW sears? I thought Henning had prepped EGW Sears but they are not listed on his site. I've got a raw EGW sear but it's going to take a lot more work to fit than just fitting the safety. Are you guys just running a tanfoglio one piece with the EG hammer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought those were soft, compared to the EGW sears? I thought Henning had prepped EGW Sears but they are not listed on his site. I've got a raw EGW sear but it's going to take a lot more work to fit than just fitting the safety. Are you guys just running a tanfoglio one piece with the EG hammer?

ahh ok. just a small FYI. in this forum when people say EG they usually mean Eric Graufell/Extreme parts. EGW is evolution gun works.

Yes, henning does sell the EGW hard sear as a set with the prepped EGW hammer (I believe he recuts the hooks).

I'm sure henning would sell you just the EGW sear.

Ben stoeger sells the sear and hammer separate. http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/EGW-Hard-Sear-for-EAA-Tanfoglio-Limited-Open-p/egw-sear.htm

this is the kit henning sells including the EGW hammer and sear http://henningshop.com/products/tanfoglio-hammer-sear-kit

But what people call 'the one piece sear' is just the regular tanfoglio one piece sear. it can be bought from EAA I assume, or EG pro shop, or Jim someone or other (I forget the name, US tanfoglio gunsmith - mentioned a lot in the forum).

and yes the EGW sear is designed to work with the EGW hammer which is for SAO guns. Not the DA/SA guns.

if your gun is DA/SA you're options are:

delta hammer and 1 piece sear

EG extreme hammer and 1 piece sear

new titan hammer and 1 piece sear.

of course if you're converting your DA/SA into SAO then it's fine to use the EGW/henning prepped sear and hammer as part of that conversion. just be aware the hammer and sear are made to work as a pair and that hammer cannot be used in the DA/SA guns as it doesn't have anywhere to connect to the disconnector/interupter. so SA only.

I understand the Eric grauffel/ EGW differences.

I just fiqured guys would upgrade to the EGW sear when going with the Eric Graufell hammers. As far as I can tell, other than being 2 piece I see no differnce in the Sears on my DA/SA gun, compared to my SAO.

• 7 months later...

I worked on a different gun but that doesn't change my experience. I have a Limited Pro that I upgraded with almost all Xtreme parts from EG; the only exception was the plunger spring where I used Henning's.. I stuck to EG parts so as to remain Production legal in IPSC. The performance improvement was quite impressive but I'm new at this and so it's just my opinion. I did all the polishing recommended in Atlas's links. It was a lot of fun to do and I'm very pleased with the results.

I'll be helping a friend with his upgrades and this time we will get all our parts from Henning. I'll report on that project as it goes.

interested in hearing the comparison with the Henning parts...

Actually...there are 2 of the one piece sears. One i have seen in open and limited guns...the other in older s2's andthe xtreme series. I thought the 2 piece was the cats ass for a while. It is not.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

Actually...there are 2 of the one piece sears. One i have seen in open and limited guns...the other in older s2's andthe xtreme series. I thought the 2 piece was the cats ass for a while. It is not.

2 pc isn't terrible once you polish plunger and trigger bow and swap hammer and trigger return springs. It does have a 2 stage pre travel that can't be eliminated until 1 pc sear is used. It feels like a hitch more than a wall which doesnt work for my style. Plus eliminating the small sear spring not in the 1pc sear will lighten the trigger a little. Edited by Stician

• 1 year later...

you can email tanfogio factory , they have a new line called UNICA line , which comprises of new treatment that makes the parts more durable to use and the firing pin is a little bit longer for the production guns for who wants to use light springs. The parts are a hammer, sear and the firing pin

hope i ve helped

andre

On 11/19/2014 at 4:43 AM, hercster said:

I worked on a different gun but that doesn't change my experience. I have a Limited Pro that I upgraded with almost all Xtreme parts from EG; the only exception was the plunger spring where I used Henning's.. I stuck to EG parts so as to remain Production legal in IPSC. The performance improvement was quite impressive but I'm new at this and so it's just my opinion. I did all the polishing recommended in Atlas's links. It was a lot of fun to do and I'm very pleased with the results.

I'll be helping a friend with his upgrades and this time we will get all our parts from Henning. I'll report on that project as it goes.

Would not the Henning spring and polish make it IPSC production illegal?

I was never too serious about keeping it IPSC legal.  The spring would likely do it in, but polish is a relative term and could be argued.  I wouldn't do so as I shoot 100% for fun and woudn't be regarded as a threat to anyone.  Being 72 with wobbly legs might give away way :-)  I probably shoot significantly more in the US and USPSA where the rules are quite as rigorous.  That said, I will be buying a SIG Legion in the spring which I assume is on the list. I could keep that 100% IPSC legal or I may not.  I would bet it will get some tuning and spring changes.  I would not deliberately break the rules and will just move "up" a division or two if necessary.

On 8/23/2015 at 0:28 PM, Stician said:

2 pc isn't terrible once you polish plunger and trigger bow and swap hammer and trigger return springs. It does have a 2 stage pre travel that can't be eliminated until 1 pc sear is used. It feels like a hitch more than a wall which doesnt work for my style. Plus eliminating the small sear spring not in the 1pc sear will lighten the trigger a little.

That's the best "why the 1pc sear is desirable" I've seen. Thanks!

Do you need to change the (far more expensive) sear housing when installing the one-piece sear, or can you leave that alone when installing a 1 piece sear in a Stock 2 or 3?