Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 S90 - How Old

Tom Vervaeke

I just purchased a used Benelli M1 S90 Tactical. 18.5" barrel, full mag tube (7+1) but the gun is marked as a H&K in addition to Benelli. Two different folks tell me the gun is somewhere between 7 and 15 years ago.

Can anyone tell me what years H & K imported the Benelli's? Sort of a starting year and ending year? I also own a brand new Benelli of the same type but it does not say H&K on it.

Just inquiring.

The gun I purchased is in 98%+ shape and looks like it wasn't used much at all. It does NOT have screw in chokes. Rather, it appears the barrel is a 18.5" IC. It has ghost rings, etc. and looks very very similar to my new Benelli.

Thanks,

Tom

Probably around 93-94. The only reason I know this is b/c the one I own was originally purchased by a Marine buddy of mine when he got out of Infantry school. H&K was doing the importation for Benelli at the time and he bought (so I remember) one of the first ones available. I've been told that they are "better" built than modern M1S90's.

I'd still like to have a 21" VR barrel to slap on mine. ;)

• 3 months later...
Probably around 93-94.  The only reason I know this is b/c the one I own was originally purchased by a Marine buddy of mine when he got out of Infantry school.  H&K was doing the importation for Benelli at the time and he bought (so I remember) one of the first ones available.  I've been told that they are "better" built than modern M1S90's.

I'd still like to have a 21" VR barrel to slap on mine. ;)

Dave,

I own an HK Benelli M1S90 as well and purchased it used in 91.

• 1 month later...

I also have an HK/Benelli M1. I purchased it in 1996, used. It's been a terrific shotgun. I added an extended mag tube, and a side-saddle. But I'd like to add a choke system. Where can I get a similar barrel (with hooded front sight) that has removable chokes? Or do I have to send it to Briley to have my existing barrel modified?

The HK/ Benelli partnership ended in Dec. 1997. They started making them with the choke tube barrels before that but the original ones were cyl bore. My early M1S90 from 1993 also had a fixed extended mag tube, not the screw on 2 or 4 rd models of the later models.

As others mentioned, the HK models had the carrier that allowed the extra round under the carrier. You may need to check if a newer model choke tube barrel will fit yours. I seem to recall the barrel ring was slightly different but I don't have the old one to compare with my newer one.