Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anybody tried this dryfire tracking app?

3djedi

They had a limited trial eval available that I tried...it worked well even on an older laptop.

I just couldn't bring myself to buy it though -- I guess I'm just a little cheap. It wasn't the software license cost but that to use it effectively I would also have needed a training gun in both Glock & 1911 styles so that I wouldn't have to rack the slide/re-cock the trigger. For initial draw/1st shot no problem...but tough to work on splits that way. As an FYI I already had a laser catridge for my firearms and the application itself worked well...it did prefer a not overly bright room.

I've got it and it is awesome!!! Agree with techj about the "racking the slide" issue. If I was shooting a Glock I'd get the SIRT pistol today...or yesterday. I shoot an M&P and they don't have a M&P SIRT in that model yet though I'm told that there will be one available in early 2015...though they have missed some previously promised launch dates. I bought a LaserLyte full sized training pistol just to play around with so I can use all the functions of the software but it sin't an M&P so I'm not real happy about that...just got it for fun. I did buy a M&P officially licensed blowback airsoft pistol and it works pretty well for drawing from the holster and also sight alignment and site picture and shooting with both eyes...which is something I was having a hard time with but now am doing much better. I'm currently working on putting the LaserLyte laser device in the barrel of my airsoft pistol and using it so I get the best of both worlds (until the SIRT comes out)...but it is going to require some modification of my airsoft gun and I'm trying to find an airsoft gunsmith to help me with it so I don't screw up my gun.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

How does this software compare to http://phrack.github.io/ShootOFF/ which is free?

I have both, but only use the LASR program. I actually like shootoff better, but my 3-4 year old i5 powered computer can't run it! It's based on java and the computer just lags like a sob, only getting 7-8 frames per second, so it misses 2/3 of the shots. If you have a new fast computer, give it a go as it has some cool features.coolest is the projection of moving targets. You need a projector plus camera, but it then can (supposedly I never tried) put out an image and see if you hit it.

The lasr program is more basic, but useful. However! You must really get your mental game on to avoid looking at the target to see where you hit. That red dot is seductive! If you can afford the IR option that would stop you from looking as the dot is invisible except to the camera.

The other issue is it promotes trigger slap habits (speaking personally) as every shot is da eith the long long trigger pull. I vary things with da first shot, then (no dot) short stroke sa simulation, transition to a different target shoot da again, sa simulation, repeat across an array. Split time that way is then an aggregate. Other days, I do da every shot which helps on trigger control and gives shot to shot splits. I have improved a lot, and had fun doing it. Much less boring than par time beeps and IMO, better for accuracy as you can verify a hit from a miss. Important as I'm still learning to shot call.

Sorry to be so long!

How does this software compare to http://phrack.github.io/ShootOFF/ which is free?

I have both, but only use the LASR program. I actually like shootoff better, but my 3-4 year old i5 powered computer can't run it! It's based on java and the computer just lags like a sob, only getting 7-8 frames per second, so it misses 2/3 of the shots. If you have a new fast computer, give it a go as it has some cool features.coolest is the projection of moving targets. You need a projector plus camera, but it then can (supposedly I never tried) put out an image and see if you hit it.

The lasr program is more basic, but useful. However! You must really get your mental game on to avoid looking at the target to see where you hit. That red dot is seductive! If you can afford the IR option that would stop you from looking as the dot is invisible except to the camera.

The other issue is it promotes trigger slap habits (speaking personally) as every shot is da eith the long long trigger pull. I vary things with da first shot, then (no dot) short stroke sa simulation, transition to a different target shoot da again, sa simulation, repeat across an array. Split time that way is then an aggregate. Other days, I do da every shot which helps on trigger control and gives shot to shot splits. I have improved a lot, and had fun doing it. Much less boring than par time beeps and IMO, better for accuracy as you can verify a hit from a miss. Important as I'm still learning to shot call.

Sorry to be so long!

Thanks for the comparison. That sucks that it needs a lot of computer power, I was hoping to use an old Netbook PC and guess I will have to rethink that. What camera do you use with it, and does camera quality matter? Do you use a "real" gun with a laser cartridge in it or a SIRT trainer? I have a SIRT but think it would be more worthwhile using a real gun, the only problem is I would have to use something like one of my CZ's that will reset to double action each time without the slide racking. I guess I could not use a Glock or PPQ for this as there would be nothing to activate the laser on the follow-up shots.

Sorry to be so long!

To get around this, I wear red shooting glasses when using the LASR software The camera can pick up the green shot laser, but it's pretty much invisible to me.

Sorry to be so long!

To get around this, I wear red shooting glasses when using the LASR software The camera can pick up the green shot laser, but it's pretty much invisible to me.

Nifty idea!

On the question on the camera. I am now using a c610 from Amazon. Initially used a cheap one and it was slower at higher than vga resolution so I ran t in 320x 240 (iirc). That was ok, but the camera only had a bendy thing for mounting and the target zone the computer looks at would wander when clumsy guy bumped it. The c610 has a screw mount for a tripod, faster memory and higher resolution for 35-40 bucks. I run it at 840x480 (or some such) at 30frames/s. Only downside, when the computer fires up, the camera settings change to "automatic" for brightness and it needs to be in manual. The computer wants it to be a dim image for best results, but the camera wants it bright.

In general, the highest resolution that gives 30 fps is the best, but it works in lower res. You Just get a smaller field of view.

I use the real gun (tanfo) with "laser ammo" from surestrike. I like that it has the red safe cap in the front and using the real deal gives nice tactile feedback on how it really is.

Hope that helps.

Edited by johnbu