Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WJM's road to Master

WJM

My first classification came in! 74.6%! Which naturally puts me right on the cusp of A class! (Was kind of hoping to make A class for my first classification but hey I will take it!)

I have that classifier match and I think it's definitely achievable to make M or GM at this next match. I have shot around half the classifiers, so I will watch my previous videos where I lost time and change how I approach them accordingly.

Figured I would update my goals and what I have done. I had to take a break from dry fire and working out. Been swamped with school, it's been killing me. But hoping to get some real dry fire in on mini classifiers tonight and tomorrow, and probably workout both days. (I usually do a leg day before a match, and an arm day two days before).

I signed up for my first "major". Idaho sectional here I come! I know my goal has been to be a GM by the end of the summer, but I would really like to shoot this match as a GM in production. The only other "Major" match I will be shooting is the Utah State Match! Really hoping to place well at both of them.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

post-56777-0-10387200-1429190101_thumb.j

post-56777-0-76783200-1429190117_thumb.j

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ended up sitting at top of B class going into a classifier match. Shot the match, ended with a high A class. Which I shouldn't be complaining about but this damn gun cost me a couple of GM runs. Went into the Max Michel shot timer and they both cost me enough time to be around 98% on the classifiers.

Took the gun apart that night (lucky I didn't throw it in the garbage that night), and decided to try my best to diagnose this issue. I polished up the extractor and part of the slide area, took the gun out to the range and put around 200 rounds through it.

Didn't have a single issue and it ended up shooting very well. Had some very nice transitions of targets that were ~12 feet apart, and the transitions were around .3 seconds. I know this is improving greatly so I will keep with it.

In dry fire I practiced a lot of right and left barriers along with low low ports. At the local matches around here they always build the ports to be favored towards hobbits, and it makes people like me have a massive disadvantage. So I figured rather than waste my time complaining, I may as well practice them. I also went through stoegers dry fire book (the Bible) and used post it notes on every page diagnosing each drill and what times I was able to make. There were only 2 drills I haven't been able to make the goal par time. I also made another drill that he doesn't have in there which is a draw, 2 on the target free style, reload, strong hand only 2 shots reload, transition to weak hand 2 shots. Then I also did the same drill except after doing freestyle I change to weak hand. This was useful to practice weak hand reloads which aren't really that bad if practiced. They are very unlikely for a stage but still I want that to be better.

I went through my classifiers and honestly everything is looking good. I am shooting at Mid to High Master class in field courses and in Classifiers, if I could just get this gun working my classifiers would show this. Honestly I should've shot my G34 at this match just because it is so damn reliable compared to the Tanfo at least right now.

In the match most of my draws were around 1.1 seconds (good for me for a match) and reloads were around 1.2-1.3 seconds (also good for me for match pressure). Transitions were good around .25 seconds, and most of my hits were good. Some of the targets were very close though, and I am used to using very very small targets so I overswung the alpha zone a tad, and ended up with 2 charlies an inch apart, just outside the alpha zone. So I will start to incorporate larger full size targets into my practice regime.

Shooting and moving has been good. In a match I can move forward and back and hit alphas out to around 12-13 yards. However when I shoot side to side it ends up around 8 yards as my max, so I have been really working hard to practice this.

I will be shooting the Idaho Sectional Match as one of my "majors" I am squadded with a bunch of Masters and GM's and I am really hoping to have my M classification by that match, along with my other goal of being a GM by the Utah State Match which will be my other "Major".

Thanks for reading,

WJM

TLDR: Things are going good, need to figure out the gun.

Edited by WJM

Went out and shot some rounds in live fire last night. Ended up shooting 182 rounds and didn't have a single malfunction which is good news for the gun! Turns out when the gun runs I can sometimes shoot fast!

My dad and I primarily shot a drill to teach us setting up in a position. I learned a few things from running this drill several times. The first thing I learned was that if the movement out of a position into a position is more than 3-4 steps it is better to drop the gun to a "chest 1" position (I know I laughed as well at that reference) and then push the gun back out when I get to position, than trying to keep the gun up. However if it is less than a 3-4 step position to position it ends up being better to transition directly and then have the gun up and ready as I am in position. I also learned that my shooting as I am leaving a position as well as shooting on the move is really improving. While shooting and moving or exiting a position all my hits were alphas, with most of them being grouped in 1-3 inches.

We ran the accelerator a few times but by then my hand was starting to hurt so no new real strides in that department. I had an average run of 6.05 seconds so that was good for me but my draw was suffering bad because of my hand.

I am going to practice tonight, and hopefully get some dry fire in tomorrow if I have time. If not I will get it done Thursday. I have a steel match that I am RO'ng and shooting on Saturday so that will be the real test to see if my gun will function properly for a lot of rounds in one day.

WJM

182 rounds without a malfunction, didn't clean it and then ran 200 more out of the gun that night. Not a single malfunction so I think that I have finally figured this out. (Just in time after a classifier match right?)

Did some live fire with my dad and a friend of ours who shot single stack. We made a small stage that involved some ~17 yard no shoot partials along with a ~22 yard open target. It involved a lot of shooting while into and out of positions, tight reloads, and fast transitions. I felt like I was doing pretty good, and I kept up with a Limited Master Class shooter that joined us.

After doing this drill we used the same targets and did a shooting and moving (forward and back) drill at targets at 17 and 20 yards. I found out my limit to accurately shoot alphas while moving is around 17 yards, any further than that and they really open up to the charlie and delta zone. We also compared times when we would run up to a spot and just shoot them. Its about sixers for me (actually moving and shooting is around .3 seconds faster) but I was more accurate while not moving. However I know that if the targets were closer than that 17 yard distance it would be a completely different story and it would be much faster to just move and shoot.

Did some dry fire and made a couple mock stages. Consistently I am pulling a .6-.7 draw with this gun, and still around a 1.0 second reload. I tried and tried and tried to bring it down some more, but in the end I decided if I can do a reload that fast why would I ever need to go faster? I may come back to this and try some more but for right now I am happy with that.

Still using the extreme bullets in this gun and I like them a lot more. They have just enough of a snap to the gun to cause it to feel fast enough but not a massive rise in the gun sights. I am starting to get .16 splits with this gun and trigger, and thats about as fast as I can accurately shoot alphas at ~5 yards or so.

I have the Idaho Sectional coming up and I am hoping to do good at that match, also have sign ups for the Utah State Championships which will be a fun match!

WJM

Edited by WJM

Completed the first of my goals for this year! First was to take 1st place at one of the clubs around here. Finally did that for my division, and also finally took first over someone that I have been actively working my butt of trying to beat.

We shot an all steel match which was nice but I had a alright day. The gun didn't malfunction once, so that was a good part, but I just could NOT hit what I was aiming at. I had 2 stage wins where everything came together, but on all the rest of them I just had a few too many misses on steel. And that eats up the time over the course of a match.

Had a really good stage that involved a start position at around 35 yards from the targets, had to shoot 5 targets then move to a box at 30 yards, then 25, 20, 15, 10 and that was it. I ended up with a 3rd place time I believe and I had 2 make up shots. I was happy with how my trigger control was coming along and I know that I can still work on that some more.

I ended up losing 1st overall by around 5 seconds (I hit a no shoot on one of the stages and that cost me it) but overall I really do think today was more of a grip problem. I just wasn't able to get my grip on a consistent basis, so I decided that it would be best to buy some pro grip from Ben Stoeger and see how that works. I have used some of my friends and that really helped so I think that will help me a little bit. Another thing that I think affected me was I SO'd for the day and that was a little more stressful and busy than I was used to when shooting.

Finals week is this week and next, which means 10 days and I can dry fire and live fire about as much as I want. I plan on meal prepping every day and I should be able to lose a few pounds between then and my first sectional match. I am hoping to be around 225-235 (right now I am round 247) and I am hoping to put on more muscle mass. Also hoping to get back to dry firing an hour a day, (I have done this this week and last but before that I stopped for a bit).

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Edited by WJM

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a match this weekend, and with school finally out I have been able to commit to a much more goal oriented and strenuous dry fire plan from Stoegers dry fire Bible. I have been doing around 2-3 hours a day for the last week or so, and my results have shown. I am still working out slight issues with the gun that are costing me precious time and HF's but thats okay I know where my skills are and how they are growing.

I have been using liquid grip (thanks Tom Nelson and Ben Stoeger) and that has helped a TON with my grip. Not so much holding the gun more, but getting a more consistent grip every single time with the gun. It could be placebo but whatever it is it is working so why question it.

I have finally been able to do some more live fire (the weather and school have been making that difficult) and I am getting some pretty good results. Did a few bill drills, had an average of 1.9 seconds, with the fastest being a 1.88. Felt good, my draw was around a .97 or so, and the splits were getting around a .19 .18 ish, and so I am feeling good about that. Also did the 4 aces drill, and unfortunately it will be a while until I can beat Stoegers goal time for this drill by a lot. At 5 yards I am still around 2.3-2.4 but I feel like it should be faster. I have heard he takes it to like 2.1 and damn I just don't know how to cut on my reloads. I am much faster at reloading with the Glock (.95-1.05) but the tanfo has so many advantages to the Glock that I can accept a reload of 1.1-1.2.

I haven't really been shaving much time off in dry fire, as in I have been doing all the drills at now the goal times that Stoeger sets (some .2 seconds faster or so) but I have been focusing a lot more on a VERY firm grip and watching my sights not move at all along with a straight to the rear trigger press. This has helped a ton especially in a match where I know I have the ability to go faster than I am dry firing in.

Here is my match video, I really screwed the pooch on this match. The second stage I had a mental error and just lost track of the sights and the trigger. Happened on stage 1 and stage 2. I was able to catch back up to the pack on the last 3 stages (one of which was a overall stage win) but still I am pissed that I lost my cool on one of the stages. It probably didn't help that the entire day it rained more in one day than it has in 3 months, and we were running through puddles and ponds of rainwater, but hey any condition right?

WJM

Edited by WJM

Fun couple of days. Still trying to get my Tanfo running 100% but I think it is close now.

Went to a match last night and it froze up on my but no big deal. Shot a glock and won a stage, so I was happy with that. I still have been doing regular dry fire of around an hour to 3 hours a day. Also have been getting live fire practice in.

Classifier results are in and it shows I am sitting at 83.31%! Right on! Moving up one class at a time, so right now I am in A class, but very very close to Master. I should be able to bump up with this weekend classifier, and probably with Idaho sectionals classifier.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Got my gun back to working today. Found out it was a mag spring issue, so I have ordered extra power springs from Ben Stoeger to hopefully help negate this problem in the future. Luckily I ordered another magazine (that way I could have 6 at any time), so I was able to practice today malfunction free with my gun.

We mainly ran the classifier 09-02, which has a good set of skills I wanted to practice because I have been doing them in dry fire. Helped a lot confirm that my turn draw practice is going well, and also helped shoot at a cadence that fit in well with no shoots (around a .35 split). I was able to consistently get GM scores on this, and when I pushed it a little bit I ended up with around a 110% run or so. It felt good.

Did around 2 hours of dry fire today. Mainly was practicing on ammo pickups and unloaded starts. I switched to bullets out finally and for good, and so it has been a little of a transition to figure out how to put the mags into the pouches efficiently and fast. I was able to get them going really fast and also able to learn to do reloads bullets out much faster and more consistent. Have the mags face out it allows me to get a more sure grip on the edge of the mags with my pointer finger, and it also allows an easier insertion into the magwell.

Also did some wide transtions (90 degrees and 180 degrees) I did this drill with hardcover targets (because there are a ton of partials at Idaho) and I found that at least for 180 degree transitions it is fastest and more consistent for me to bring the gun in and then quickly push it out. If I drive it with my sights I am just too slow and inconsistent. With 90 degree transitions I found that simply moving the gun with my eyes is best and quickest, bringing the gun in takes too much time.

Thanks for reading,

WJM

Shot my last USPSA match before my first Major this upcoming weekend. Match overall went alright. There were a few stages that everything just clicked on. I had several stages with almost every hit being an Alpha, and only had 2-4 charlies. Then we had a really long distance one while moving on wooden planks in the rain, that I kinda screwed up. I am not one for excuses but damn it that is a hard thing to do. I dont really know how I am supposed to practice for sliperry pieces of wood that I am supposed to walk on and shoot on but hey it turned out alright. I zeroed the classifier Disaster Factor, because apparently that thing has a freakish hit factor for production and basically everyone else. The highest person at the match was around a 70% so basically once I saw I pulled a close delta/charlie I plugged two into the no shoot.

One thing that my dad and I did differently at this match was at the end of the match or rather on the last stage we bet lunch and the bet was we had to stay in the box and shoot everything from one position. This was hardly optimal as the targets were around 30 yards away and they were angled so we could see maybe 20% of the alpha zone. Obviously neither of us were going for the stage win here but it was a good experience for both of us to practice on long distance shooting.

I had two mikes that match, one was on a close target that I knew better than I just rushed it, the other was on a 35 yard partial with hardcover. I was pretty pissed about both of these just because I wanted to shoot the match clean. So what did I do? Next day I went out and in live fire had a box at 50, 30, and 15 and practiced partials. Start in 50 yard box, shoot 3 targets, reload and run up to 30 and shoot 3 targets, reload, run up to 15 and shoot those targets.

A couple things I really practiced hard on in the match was having a lower center of gravity when shooting and moving, completing my reload for the most part before I run full speed, and having my gun aiming before I got into position. In the video I kind of look stupid slow to myself when entering a position, but this was the first real time I had tried this. Really wanted to get it right and not engrain bad habits if that makes sense.

Here is the match video if anyone is reading this please critique it I have thick skin.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Just got done with my first major match.

First thing first, the things that I feel like I did extremely well and was able to do consistently. I went into this match and wanted to do 2 things. Be very calm and disciplined on the stages, and shooting the match as clean as possible. The disciplined and calm part meant to me keeping my head on straight. If I screwed up a stage, I would put in my headphones turn on some Hans Zimmer and mentally escape while I planned the next stage. I ended up doing this method 2 times yesterday and boy it was helpful. To me that was the biggest eye opener of my shooting career. Yes I looked like a total dickhead because of my headphones, but really most people who plan stages and are mentally visualizing them look kind of like dickheads so..

Second was shooting a near clean match. My goal was obviously to shoot a clean match. This in my mind means no foot faults, no misses on steel, no hardcover mikes, and NO no shoots. Unfortunately I was only able to get through 7 stages before I got my only no shoot of the match. Luckily that would be the only penalty of my match.

Next I am going to go through each stage and what I thought of each of them.

Stage 1, I shot this one well. I need to work on exploding out of position better. My hits were very acceptable, and I threw 1 charlie on this stage on a target I took on the move at around 13 yards. There were some 5 inch steel plates at around 25 yards, and I had 1 make up shot on a steel. This ended up being a stage win for me and I beat the next closest production shooter by around 1 hit factor and 4 seconds.

Stage 2, was the first stage of the day. I wanted to take this stage a little slow just to calm my nerves and ease into the match. I took some targets on the move with a very aggresive plan, and as a result I threw 5 charlies and 1 delta. Unfortunately this was the first stage but I shook it off well. One thing I wish I had done better was to hit the activator with 3 shots and that would've saved me a second or two. I ended up with 2nd place at around 89%.

Stage 3, was in my mind as perfect of a stage as I have ever had. I had 1 make up shot so I guess that could've been better, but in the end I thought I shot as good as I possibly could've. I shot this stage completely clean and shot 20 alphas. I also shot this stage 1 second faster than the next closest shooter, and that gave me a clear stage win.

Stage 4, this stage was a charlie foxtrot. I shot the steel well, 1 make up shot, and shot all the points, but unfortunately I had a malfunction that cost me around 5 seconds. I believe the extractor on the 9mm is bad, but I will check again. At this point thats all I could think that is wrong. This ended up being a 4th place finish for me.

Stage 5 was the classifier CM 09-02 Diamond Cutter. I had practiced this one in dry fire and live fire and had shot a very consistent 3.5 second all alphas. I wanted to back it down a little bit because obviously I would rather have the good points than a good classifier at a major match. First time through I shot it in 3.69 seconds with 1 charlie. Went up to the targets and they weren't taped. So reshoot. I had the bullets and told them I was already warmed up, so I went up to the line and shot a 3.74 with 1 charlie. Pretty much the same score. I ended up winning this stage with a little over 1.8 hit factor advantage.

Stage 6, went good. My dad and I changed our plans last minute because we overlooked that it was an unloaded start. Our plan involved us shooting 10 rounds from the first position and this would've resulted in a slide lock reload that we didn't want to do. So we changed it and shot 8 from every position. In the end I liked this plan more than ours and it ended up being enough for a second place finish and 99.7% of the first place guy.

Stage 7, was probably my worst stage. From the beginning I just had a bad grip. Can't explain it but the gun was NOT where I wanted it to be, and my trigger finger ended up being way too far into the trigger and I just slapped it too bad. Ended up with a 5th place finish, and I was not happy. Luckily I was able to keep the loss to a minimum and I was around 80% of the top shooter.

Stage 8, ahh the no shoot stage. Low ports and tall people are not a good combo. I knew going into this match that low ports were a weakness of mine, and combine that with a double action first shot, well it went to shit. I know what I need to work on and honestly to me it is more physical related than shooting related. I need to have better agility and I need to lose weight. Thats the cold hard truth. I ended up taking 3rd place on this stage and shot 85% of the top shooter. It was still a manageable loss but unacceptable in my mind.

Stage 9, this stage went well. There was some 25 yard steel and a 25 yard swinger. We made a stage plan that basically involved if you went 1 for 1 on steel you engaged a target from this position. If however you didn't go one for one on the steel, you had to engage it from another. I had one make up shot on steel which meant I had a slide lock load, which wasn't a big deal to me. Unfortunately I called a couple shots bad that ended up not being too bad, and I took 2 too many make up shots and ended up doing another slide lock reload from a position I didn't want to. I handled it well however and I ended up going into the last position and shot the last steel with the last round in the gun. It was enough for a 2nd place on this stage, and 97% of the next shooter.

Stage 10, this stage went well. The slow was start (AGILITY NEEDED) but we did a stage plan that didn't involve shooting strong hand through a port. I think this saved me around 2 seconds on the next closest shooter. I ended up dropping 3 charlie, but I was overall very happy with this especially in my transitions on this stage.

Overall it was the funnest match of my career so far. I ended up taking 1st place and beat the next shooter by around 3 percent.

My goals for right now are losing around 20 pounds and gaining upper body strength. This will involve to me a lot of dry fire, and a lot of gym work. I will still live fire once or twice a week and matches on saturday, but for the most part my training will be the gym.

Thanks,

WJM

Edited by WJM

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My friends Hwansik Kim, and Eric Steiner decided to do a match analysis podcast.

This was our first episode, it will improve for sure, and hopefully it will morph into a match analysis for anyone.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Edited by WJM

Episode 2.

Update on my training.

Last match of the year was this weekend. Probably will start up again mid to end of December, or mid January. Focusing on working our and college right now. I am dry firing around once a day to every other day for an hour, focusing mostly on consistency. I have developed a system that works for me to build consistency and speed, and so far it is the best I have used.

Building grip strength pretty quickly. Using grip trainers, and building the max amount I can hold. Essentially I am trying to build my max, but also hold that weight for 20-30 seconds (length of a stage).

Last classifier came in at 90.53 percent. Maybe if I gave a crap about classification I would be more careful with it, but honestly I am not focused on GM in the slightest.

My next big match is Area 2, followed by Berry's Steel Open, Area 1, Idaho State, Oregon State, Utah State. Should be a fun year for majors. Right now in local matches I have been building consistency. The goal is to win every stage, and shoot every stage at my maximum potential. So far I have been edging closer and closer to this, and am able to shoot with the M's and GM's in open and limited at our local clubs.

Thanks,

Wyatt

Did around an hour and a half of dry fire last night. Tonight I am working on ports and position entry a bit more.

Last match I shot my goal was to shoot it clean and really motor the transitions and push them to the limits. Didn't shoot it clean (classifier was a PITA) but I really turned up the heat on the transitions and ended up with a production win and high placement overall along with an overall stage win against some damn good Limited M's and GM's.

Footwork is coming along, I am feeling faster and I am going to attribute that to more gym work and meal prepping.

So far at the gym in regards to shooting specific is upper back, quads, hamstrings, calfs, forearms (upper and lower), lats, biceps, and triceps.

Ladder drills are a pain.

Kettle bell farmer carry is getting better. I can do 2x45lb's for around .2 miles. Then I have to stop usually.

Bout an hour to an hour and a half of dry firing yesterday after my leg day workout. Only worked on moving reloads and moving draws.

Built a triangle of sorts, start from one corner, draw on the move engage target with two rounds, reload before next box, get into GOOD positioning, 2 shots, reload on move etc. Really helpful especially building up the time then the consistency afterward.

Getting a finalized schedule not only for next semester but also for training next semester. I plan on shooting around 5 thousand rounds before A2 (March) and hopefully 10 thousand before A1 (May). My plan is to dry fire an hour every day for a month and a half leading up to A2 and A1, and then 1 live fire a week along with a match every weekend.

I am thinking of starting to shoot the local steel challenge match. I think it would be helpful for a pure transition practice, plus I could base my results on a somewhat general scale (IE it would be a good reference to look back on). Thoughts?

I know it would only really show draws and transitions but still it would be good practice in my mind.

As it is right now I shoot a match the 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th if there is one Saturdays, and the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of almost every single month. 6 matches a month that are around 130-150 rounds a piece is around 800 rounds a month. I usually do a practice once a week that is 300 rounds or so, 4 weeks in a month thats 1200 rounds. 2 months before A2 is around Jan 15 or so, 2k rounds for practice, 1400 for match results in around 3500 rounds. If I bring on one more match a month that may up it to 4k which is probably enough for that short of a window in January and February in Utah.

As it is my practice in winter is limited. Its not like I can go outside every day (Utah it gets down to 15-30 degrees almost every day) so I have to pick and choose my battles. I plan on doing lots of the Dot Drill in my local indoor range, but I can't do any draws that I know of so maybe table pickups?

After A2 the training for A1 begins. A1 is in mid May which gives me another month and a half of practice before another major match. April 1-4 is Berry's Steel open which should be around 500 rounds, matches every weekend in April, first weekend of May is local match, 2nd weekend is A1, 3rd weekend is Idaho State, 4th weekend is Oregon (I believe, anyone reading this who is from Oregon and perhaps knows the schedule I would be very grateful to be corrected). SOOOO.. May is my big month, and most of the training has to be done now.

Weight loss is happening right now, meal prep is going good, and I've begun hitting the gym 3x a week, MWF for an hour a piece, half dedicated to cardio the other to weights. Workout forearms every day with my spring tension captain of crunch knockoff dollar store shit, and I do about 200 reps a day on that. Thoughts on actual COC grips?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Edited by WJM

Hour of dry fire last night. The calluses and blisters are starting to come back again. I have been very complacent in my dry fire lately, and that's just plain unacceptable.

Worked primarily on position entry and exit using 2 positions. Old idea from a training material I have been working out of. It helped a lot, and it also helped speed up my reloads in order to have the reload done by a somewhat ok time to have the gun ready to shoot.

Rather than going fast I was focusing primarily on getting my feet in a really good platform and then having the speed be what it's going to be. Been working on my grip lots, and also implemented crushing my dominant hand with my weak hand last night. It seemed to help, then again grip doesn't mean squat in dry fire to anyone except the person pulling the trigger.

Wyatt

Did an hour of dry fire last night. Worked primarily on having a stronger grip on the pistol the entire time, and getting a better grip on the pistol after the reload (because I have had a few issues regarding this).

Still worked on movement into and out of position. Needing to work on getting a solid platform while leaving, and figuring out how to minimize how much I can move the pistol when entering the position. Also worked on tight reloads along with holding onto the pistol with no reloads.

That was about it for last night, I also worked on tight transitions along with 90 degree transitions.

Wyatt

No dry fire last night. Had a physics test I had to study for, but hoping to put in an hour or so of movement. Going to start adding in position entry into small ports. From what I have seen of match video of Area 2 they have a lot of really tight ports, and if I want to do good at that match I have to be really comfortable with my position entry.

My training plan is getting closer and closer to being finalized. I don't quite have which drills I am going to do every day, but I do have general ideas of what I would like to do every 2 week segment. I have 8 pistol practices scheduled before Area 2, along with 6 matches. Dry fire hardcore deathstalker starts on January 14th, I am tempted to stop everything until around there. Again dry fire practices may be moved up if my dad ends up wanting to train before then (he is taking a Ron Avery class in December so it could happen)

8 practices at 300 rounds a piece is 2400 rounds, 6 matches by 150 rounds is 900, so I am at around 3300 rounds before A2. I would like to push that up to 4000 ( I know that the number doesn't matter, its more of an exact number goal to try and hit for training), I would also like to have AT LEAST 50 hours of dry fire before the match, which would mean 50 days at an hour a piece. Mostly posting that here so I can be publically accountable.

My main focuses for live fire will be movement and long tight accurate shots. Dot drill, 25-50 yard bill drills, 35 yard partials, 25 yard swingers stuff like that. Dry fire will continue to be movement, and also movement into a tough shot.

Thanks,

Wyatt

I've taken a small break from training, and have been working on reading more information on Shooting Theory and things like that.

I bought Brian Enos's book and have been reading that, and also bought some Steve Anderson materials that I have been working through.

I think I have a new idea of where I would like my shooting to go as far as long term goals, and also this break is helping me get pumped for training for Area 2. I know what general ideas I need to work on, and also how to apply them in training.

I think my training is going to be split into blocks. Basically my plan is to diagnose my weaknesses, and ATTACK them. Using different blocks I can focus my training for a solid 2 weeks on one specific issue such as transitions, and do drills that entire two weeks focusing on different aspects of that issue.

Using these blocks my goal is to build up to a specific speed, and then train at a slightly slower speed so I can build lots of consistency. Doing this in live fire and dry fire I should be able to successfully build my consistency in matches, while at the same time decrease my time and make myself better in the long run.

Another thing I will start doing is keeping a more specific training journal. I am building it right now to include some laminations and have specific areas I can record times and different training aspects I am working on. This last year I didn't feel like I had a plan and I don't really know what worked best, this year will change that.

I am also in the process of building a VERY SPECIFIC training schedule. This will outline my training plan for the next few months (once training begins) and will say what I am working on what day, and how much time. My plan is to do 1 hour of dry fire a day (30 in morning, 30 at night), live fire twice a week (Wednesday and Sunday), and match once a week on Saturday unless it is a 2nd or 4th Thursday in which case it will be two matches a week.

Wyatt