Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Green Dot Loading

nyyrus

Hello all, I have been searching the forums high and low and have found little load data for green dot with 9mm and was wondering if I could get some help. Below are the particulars. Thanks.

125gr. BBI

Green dot powder

Springfield XD9

I usually use an OAL of 1.14

Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

I did see that in my Lyman's. I am hoping to get some info from some forum goers on loads that have worked for them with similar characteristic then what I am using. Forum members are such a great source of info, I like to bounce things off them too. Thanks for the info.

We (shooting & casting group) cast and powder coat our own 9mm rounds. They drop right at 130 gr.

We've run through at least 5000 rounds of them so far this year using 4.0 gr Green Dot.

We get right at 1050fps out of 4 different Glock 19's with OEM barrels.

I've worked up loads using Unique, AmSel, AA#2, & W231...Green Dot is a hand's down favorite of ours.

Thanks for the info. I am currently using 4.5 grns Unique with 125 grn BBI. I like that load alot, but scored some green dot and its my first time using it. Looks like I am going to work up loads of 3.8 grn, 4.0 grn and 4.2 grn and see what works best in the XD. I think I am going to stick with 4.4 as a max load as stated in Lymans. Its good to hear Green Dot is highly recommended, because I have 8# of it !! ?

Edited by nyyrus

According to the 2004 Alliant Reloading Manual, 5.2 gr Green Dot was the MAXIMUM load for 9mm with a 125gr lead bullet and resulted in an average velocity of 1,165 fps..The minimum OAL was 1.15" and the barrel length was 4". They recommended starting with minimum loads at least 10% below the maximum.

I've never shot Green Dot in 9mm or any other caliber, but that's the info from the powder manufacturer.

Chris

You're welcome nyyrus.

I've been a fan of Unique for many years. But we were "gifted" the Green Dot, 8 lbs as well LOL.

We fine it burns more thoroughly and has a very nice recoil impulse...subjective I know, but nice nonetheless.

Please keep us posted on your perceptions and load development.

Worked up 3 loads today using the info I had and from what you guys have provided as well. I will provide AAR of the loads after hitting the range tomorrow. Below are the details and thanks for all the info you guys all provided me:

Springfield XD9 5"

Green Dot - using powder loads of 3.6 grains, 3.9 grains, 4.3 grains

Assorted Cases

CCI 500 Primers

125 Grain BBI Hi tech

OAL = 1.14

Edited by nyyrus

Here are the results of the Green Dot Loading I worked up for my daughters Springfield XD9.

The unchanging variables:

Springfield XD9 5"

125 Grain BBI bullet

OAL of 1.14

All groups shot at 10 Yards

The first load we tested was with 3.6 grains of Green Dot. This load cycled thru the gun fine, and had a little softer recoil then our present load, but the difference was negligable. This load was not at all accurate, and grouped at about 6-7" (if you call that a group).

The second load was with 3.9 grains of Green Dot. This was our money recipe. The recoil was nice and really rssembled the current load we are using (4.6 Grains Unique). This was by far the most accurate load we shot, and grouped at about 2-3" at 10 yards. This cycled thru the gun very nicely with no isssues and a nice recoil.

The last load we tested was 4.3 grains of Green Dot. Although this was vey similar to the above 3.9 grain load it was not as accurate grouping at about 5" on our 10 yard target. There was little difference in cycling and feel (recoil) with this load compared to the 3.9 grain load.

At the end of the day after testing these three loads we are going to go with 3.9 grains of Green Dot with the current gun setup we are running. Overall a pretty good workup and test with Green Dot. That 8# is going to go a long way !!

This was the most accurate load, and grouped at about 2-3" at 10 yards.

Glad you found a load you like, but I would do some more

research if I had groups that large.

I'd test it at 20 - 25 yards. I usually shoot 12-15 rounds

and eliminate the 3-4 flyers - but, I'd be expecting 3-4"

groups at closer to 25 yards.

Might be your crimp, or the bullet, or your gun might prefer

a lighter or heavier bullet. But, I'd be looking for more

accuracy before I gave up on load development. :cheers: