Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have problem with the second shot during the controlled pairs.

Powerbroker

Hi guys!! I am learning a lot from this forum. Thanks!!!

My plate shoots are not a problem under my own rhythm (not fast but not slow). The second shot during controlled pairs is my problem. The second shot is usually a miss or charlie but most of the time at Alpha.

I notice that i have the tendency to focus on the target rather than the front sight on the second shot (after the first shot).I tend to verify the hit instinctively after the first shot then the focus on the second is on the target.

What training should i do to correct that?

(excuse my choice or words. I am new here.) :))

Edited by Powerbroker

No such thing as controlled pairs. Think of each shot as a separate individual shot and make sure you aim it instead of willing it on target.

Edited to add: and by "no such thing" I mean that you shouldn't think of it that way. Someone somewhere may call that a thing, but really you should consider each shot as its own thing. As soon as you think "pairs" you end aiming once and shooting twice and then you miss.

Edited by Vlad

sounds like you have diagnosed your problem yourself (not looking at your sights).

it may help you to just fire pairs of shots into the berm (no target to distract you) looking only at the sights.

it helped me to do bill drills, starting out pretty slow and building speed, always being careful to look at the sights. Even doing shots in sets of 3 can be helpful (and uses less ammo than bill drills). It will be exceedingly obvious if you send 3 shots with only 1 sight picture at any significant distance.

The "Think of each shot as a separate individual shot and make sure you aim it" and "you should consider each shot as its own thing" sums it up. Loud and clear. Thanks!!!

My next visit to the range will be to " to just fire pairs of shots into the berm (no target to distract you) looking only at the sights."

One at a time. Thanks guys!!!!

focal plane work. like others have said, where is your focus?

but let's also cover some of the basics.

grip. how much are you utilizing your support hand? do you have a a grip that is strong and maintained over multiple rapid shots, or are you losing it. readusting it and so on.

trigger. are you restting the trigger? are you slapping it? are you shooting a da/sa gun?

i mean, the basics building our way up are stance, grip, sight picture/alignment and then trigger control.

as for drills, i whole heartedly endorse the bill drill.

a very good friend of mine has said, "hope isn't a plan"and that applies to shooting as well.

My plate shoots are not a problem under my own rhythm (not fast but not slow). The second shot during controlled pairs is my problem. The second shot is usually a miss or charlie but most of the time at Alpha.

Ok, so which is it? Usually a miss or most of the time an Aplha? Can't be both ....

One of th things you will need to do is learn to "call your shots" which is reading your sights at the exact instan you break the shot to know where the bullet went, not visually score your target by looking at it.

If you are shooting alphas on your first shot nd mikes on your second then you are not looking at you sights for th second shot. Proper grip and sight management are th ticket.

Get ahold of Ben Stoger's book Skills and Drills and work on the 10 Drills to Master ...

focal plane work. like others have said, where is your focus?

but let's also cover some of the basics.

grip. how much are you utilizing your support hand? do you have a a grip that is strong and maintained over multiple rapid shots, or are you losing it. readusting it and so on.

trigger. are you restting the trigger? are you slapping it? are you shooting a da/sa gun?

i mean, the basics building our way up are stance, grip, sight picture/alignment and then trigger control.

as for drills, i whole heartedly endorse the bill drill.

a very good friend of mine has said, "hope isn't a plan"and that applies to shooting as well.

Hi Rowdy,

Thanks for reply. I did the bill drill yesterday at 7 yards. I kept tracking the front sight on every follow up shot at 0.87 to 0.97 split. too slow. But when i tried to do it at 0.4 split, some follow up shot hits low left. I am using double action. I notice that the left thumb on the receiver (after the slide lock) is sliding down after a recoil and when i reset my thumb its slows me down.

Ok, so which is it? Usually a miss or most of the time an Aplha? Can't be both ....

One of th things you will need to do is learn to "call your shots" which is reading your sights at the exact instan you break the shot to know where the bullet went, not visually score your target by looking at it.

If you are shooting alphas on your first shot nd mikes on your second then you are not looking at you sights for th second shot. Proper grip and sight management are th ticket.

Get ahold of Ben Stoger's book Skills and Drills and work on the 10 Drills to Master ...

Hi Mitz,

My wrong choice ow word. :) I mean 3 out of 10 is a miss.

You are right. I am now focusing on the sight on the followup shot. I did well yesterday.

Thanks.

What kind of pistol are you shooting? You said you are shooting DA, is this a DA only pistol or a DA/ SA pistol. If you are shooting a striker fired or 1911 type of pistol you will have a consistent trigger pull. In reality im doing a little more then "squeezing the trigger and waiting for the gun to go off.." etc. I am fairly aggressive on the trigger in order to get faster splits but my rounds generally end up in the middle. In order to do this you have to have a smooth and consistent trigger pull and it helps to have a grip so that you have a little daylight between your trigger fingers inside and the frame, if your finger is too deep, you can mash the gun down and to the left.

If you are shooting a DA/SA pistol, that's another thing all together. the DA to SA transition is tough. You have to put lots of effort and movement into making that DA shot and then when you transition to the SA, you mashing the trigger the same as the DA. Your grip is also possibly not going to be optimum for both the long DA and short SA trigger pulls. provided its only this DA to SA transition, that's the skill you need to work on.

If you have issues with doubles when your into SA, see all other comments..

What kind of pistol are you shooting? You said you are shooting DA, is this a DA only pistol or a DA/ SA pistol. If you are shooting a striker fired or 1911 type of pistol you will have a consistent trigger pull. In reality im doing a little more then "squeezing the trigger and waiting for the gun to go off.." etc. I am fairly aggressive on the trigger in order to get faster splits but my rounds generally end up in the middle. In order to do this you have to have a smooth and consistent trigger pull and it helps to have a grip so that you have a little daylight between your trigger fingers inside and the frame, if your finger is too deep, you can mash the gun down and to the left.

If you are shooting a DA/SA pistol, that's another thing all together. the DA to SA transition is tough. You have to put lots of effort and movement into making that DA shot and then when you transition to the SA, you mashing the trigger the same as the DA. Your grip is also possibly not going to be optimum for both the long DA and short SA trigger pulls. provided its only this DA to SA transition, that's the skill you need to work on.

If you have issues with doubles when your into SA, see all other comments..

Hi daunted,

I am shooting DA/SA tanfoglio 9mm stock II. My DA shot is not that bad.

I am tracking the sights on follow up shot now and i have improved but somehow it is slow. If i try to "be aggressive" on the trigger to get better splits, hits are more often on the left lower portion of the target at C. I notice my left grip is loosing it. my left thumb has nothing to anchor that, when it recoils, the thumb slides down and the whole left lost its tight grip. Left thumb is pressed on the side of the receiver just below the slide while the index finger is below the trigger guard pressing against each other to grip the gun from the effect of the recoil.