Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New car shopping...looking for opinions

I'm thinking about moving past the two door Jeep phase and back into the car realm for a number of reasons. So to start off my research I'm looking for opinions. Here are the parameters:

Budget up to $55,000

Prefer 4 door, 5 passenger but 2 door, 4 or 5 passenger is ok as well

New or used, 2012 or newer

Gas mileage 20mpg or better

When I see it in the driveway I smile

When I turn the key/press the start button I chuckle like a pirate

When I step on the go pedal I don't care that it's costing me more in gas

Let's hear it!

Honda Accord EX-L in Black or GunMetal. black tint windows. I've had mine up to 125 without even a shimmer. Never get beat off the line, corners like a dream. I95 roadmaster.

Sucks for 3 Gun cause crummy range roads bottom out, but getting there is a breeze. Lacrosse drove well and has all the bells and whistles, and looks sharp in black, but adds twenty years to anybody's age just by being in it. Nothing else really knocking my socks off. Except maybe the new Suburbans-maybe too big for what you need. We have three Jeeps in various modes and the transition to the Honda takes a few miles, it's just really tight to drive. That's good tight, really responsive.

I'm thinking about moving past the two door Jeep phase and back into the car realm for a number of reasons. So to start off my research I'm looking for opinions. Here are the parameters:

Budget up to $55,000

Prefer 4 door, 5 passenger but 2 door, 4 or 5 passenger is ok as well

New or used, 2012 or newer

Gas mileage 20mpg or better

When I see it in the driveway I smile

When I turn the key/press the start button I chuckle like a pirate

When I step on the go pedal I don't care that it's costing me more in gas

Let's hear it!

Lexus GS350 4dr or an RC if sexy 2 door coupes are your thing and you actually want it to work........

Nobody said you can't show up to a match in style and it will make you make you smile when you step on the gas

Edited by xdnok

FJ Cruiser. Like a Jeep's more civilized cousin. you can get one that has all the fixings, 4x4, power everything, etc, and decked out with sweet tires and some road armor. Then put the $20k left over back in your bank. Makes me happy to drive it and fits enough for road trips or 3 gun matches.

Or an Audi. We got the Mrs. a little A4 convertible. Girly color, but on a nice day with the top and pedal down, it's a blast! we went used and certified and still came in under 10k for it.

Thanks for the ideas thus far. I should add there's a HP minimum of 300. CPO C63 AMG, and CPO S4 are both on the consider list thus far. The C63 doesn't make the 20mpg highway rating I wanted, but it's close at 19...and it's 481 HP...you just can't hate that.

Or you could consider a Vette or the new Dodge Challenger with the supercharged engine.

Not a huge Challenger fan, although I like the simple "sleeper" look to it. The Vette would be great but it's a two seater. I have kids that have to fit in there too if we're not taking the big family SUV. That's why I need/want the 4 door/5 seat setup. The new Hellcat Charger would fit the bill, minus the price tag...

Audi! I love my Q5 which I picked because I needed 30mpg and I'm 6'4". If i only needed 20+ mpg and was shorter I'd do an A6 or S6.

S6 new would be over your budget but not the A6.

Another favorite of mine was the Nissan Maxima. Great car.

Edited by zimm33

My daily driver is a 2006 Mercedes Benz C55 AMG in Atlanta traffic. I am sure the C63 is better but the C55 is plenty good enough. You can get a very clean C55 for way less than $20,000 - maybe as low as $12,000. I get about 18 mpg highway commute in heavy traffic and I got 23 mpg this morning in light traffic. You can lower the mpg dramatically of course with a heavy foot!

It appears that the local - Dallas area - Chevy dealers are now knocking some off the price on the 2014 SS model. Due, I'm sure, to the impending arrival of the 2015 model. The 2015 will have the option of a "stick" shift and different shock absorbers. Personally, I'll never have another stick shift since the autos now run as well - or better - in the quarter mile.