Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of quality can I expect from this kit?

ScottTheRealist

Hi everyone, first post here! I would like to start getting into reloading and I came across a deal, a Lyman Crusher Pro 500 kit for $150ish. Does anyone have experience with this kit? I see Dillon Precision is the benchmark around here, but this seems like an inexpensive way to get started. I intend to reload 9mm for minor pf for idpa and uspsa, maybe .40 for major and .223 for 3 gun, my main goal being accuracy and controllable recoil. Thanks guys!

A single stage press is an easy and economical way to get started hand loading. The next thing you will need are some dies and reloading components. Also a set of calipers to verify measurements would be helpful.

The only advice I would give is to start with a single pistol caliber and get comfortable reloading that caliber. So, if I were you, I would start with 9mm and get comfortable before rushing to add additional calibers.

Have fun... I'm looking forward to hearing how your first hand loads do. (Take pictures if you can... Always interesting to see guys shooting guns in football helmets and hockey gloves :) )

Edited by razorfish

I load all my match ammo with a single stage press. That said, with my work schedule I average just two matches s month.

There is a book called "the ABC'S of reloading" that I found very useful when I was getting started. I recommend it for every new reloader. The forum here can be very helpful with tips, but better to learn the basics from a well thought out book.

Yup, +1 on what Pat says. A good foundation is key to any construction. When a problem or question presents itself - THATS when you call on these guys. Welcome to becoming self sufficient.

Ron

Certified American Voter and Gun Toter

NRA Life

Yadda-Yadda

Thanks guys, I'll definitely pick up that book. I posted the question to find out if you guys think it will be a useful setup for years to come as I advance in competitions and need more finely-tuned ammo, or if I will get frustrated with it or it would break easily and to save the headache, just spend the money on a Dillon.

I guess I should have phrased the question as will this kit quickly become obsolete? Are you able to get equal consistency and accuracy out of loads made with this kit as a more expensive one, and to what degree?

Thank you for the advice, there is a great wealth of information on this forum. While there are many other sites with advice for beginners to reloading, my main goal is to be competitive. In that aspect, I'd rather have the opinion of the experts.

I am tempted to believe that if you can afford to shoot a

9mm and a .40 and a .223 in 3-gun, that you might have

the extra $300 needed to buy a Dillon 550.

Those are expensive hobbies ...

If I'm incorrect, you can always start on the $150 reloader

and sell it when you find an extra $300 for a Dillon 550,

down the road. :cheers:

p.s. don't forget a chronograph for another $70.

+1 to high power jack

I started with a single stage, and I think I was loading around 100 rounds an hour

Few years later got a used Dillon 450, increased to 100 rounds every 10 minutes

Now I have a Dillon 650, cranking out 100 rounds every 5 minutes

All 3 presses produced quality ammo, you just gotta figure out how much is your time worth to you

Everyone needs a single stage press on their bench. I have an old Lyman press that sports a collet bullet puller most of the time for pulling live rounds I pick up when policing brass. A single stage is also great for loading up small test batches of ammo or for calibers you don't want to load more than 100 rounds at a time.

I'm guessing you're looking at this at Cabelas? If not, they have it for $144 currently.

It's missing calipers (harbor freight or Frankfort Arsenal will suffice, ~$20 or less), and the Lyman's 49th is a good book, but....you just couldn't pay me to load 9mm on a single stage. Precision rifle, sure, but not a high quantity round like 9mm. Your own time 'value' or situation may differ, of course.

There's little wrong with having a single stage for loading precision rifle rounds (although most would say even our typical .223 match loads don't fall in that category and are fine on a quality progressive - Dillon 550, 650, Hornady LnL AP), but - have you considered the Lee Classic Cast Turret(not the 'deluxe model) instead, for around the same price?

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press/dp/B003BWTF1E

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7555

Or in kit form:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/23840

The turret setup is more like a single stage where you don't need to adjust or swap your dies constantly like on a single stage. Extra turrets can be bought cheaply (~$10 IIRC), so you can set up for each caliber once and not touch the dies again, versus constant in and out for a single stage. You won't be doing one round per press/ram stroke like on a true progressive, but it definitely saves time and annoyance over a single stage, for pretty reasonable $.

You can disable the auto-index feature on the press and run it like a true single stage press, as well, so IMO - there's little downside to starting with a Lee Classic turret vs a single stage, with some benefits.

People will debate on if it makes sense to buy the kit, or the press plus individual components. I'd certainly prefer a used RCBS 505 scale (eBay, < $50) than that Lee scale, but it'll get the job done if you're cash strapped or not sure if reloading is for you.

Like I believe someone else mentioned up-thread, regardless of the equipment, definitely start on a straight or slightly tapered (e.g. 9mm) pistol round to get used to reloading and build up confidence..

Everyone needs a single stage press on their bench. I have an old Lyman press that sports a collet bullet puller most of the time for pulling live rounds I pick up when policing brass. A single stage is also great for loading up small test batches of ammo or for calibers you don't want to load more than 100 rounds at a time.

This!

You will always have a need for a single stage press.

All kinds of reasons why.

I'm in the market for a good used one right now.