Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or 38 super

TimMc

OK so I am looking at getting a new pistol and have been looking at 38 super to try something new. what are the pro's and cons to this or am I better off sticking to 9mm, 40 , 45. The intent of this pistol will be fun and compete.

Thanks for the replies

If it's a Gold Team I recommend 38, 9mm is a higher pressure round and with 12 holes in the barrel it takes a lot of powder to make major so the barrel lugs take a beating.

Better yet would be a custom Limited 9mm with a comp and optic, just a few holes or no holes at all.

I thought that this was common knowledge in the grapevine??? I just heard the argument during the WS saying that in open class, the GMs normally get A's anyway so whether minor or major won't really matter... Let me stress that this was just hearsay and what I understood is that this is being talked about. Of course nothing official presently and it never is until the rules are formally reviewed and passed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shot 38 super in several open guns over the years. The brass was expensive and short lived. I gave away or threw away 1000s of 9mm cases. I'm on my second 9mm open gun and don't worry about finding or collecting my brass. I've made 178 pf, but have since backed it down to 168 pf, and the comp runs fine. I use a 125 grain LEAD bullet and have no leading of the comp with 10,000 plus rounds on this gun in 18 months.

Did you overhear an argument over theoretical match results for GMs between two shooters? Or a real policy discussion between people who actually have the power to make changes?

I think I have raised too much speculation here already which was not what I have intended to do. I do not know if the people present in the conversation were people who have the powers to make the changes but they did not appear to be competitors.

Did not intend to stray off topic too much here and did not want to fire the flames of the rumor mill as I had thought it to be a topic talked around the community already... So apologies to the person who created the thread. I think I better stop making further comments on rule and stay on topic which is what is the better platform, 9mm or 38 super.... :-)

NO worries from me, it is interesting to see the different views and opinions on the sport. I think sticking with 9mm is the wiser choice and I can learn and modify whatever I end up with to get to the higher modified pistol.