Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7MM WSM for MOR?

B.J. Norris

From reading the MOR topics here, it seems that .260 Rem is the hot ticket for MOR, though some complain that it has trouble knocking some steel targets down at long range. What about something in 7MM WSM? The ballistics seem to be better by looking at the numbers, though I see cost of reloading and barrel life being disadvantages.

Can you say “barrel-burner”? Good hunting caliber, but not a high round count caliber like a .308, or .260 would be. If you’ve got the barrel to burn and plenty of brass to go with it, 7mm WSM sounds like a good choice.

BTW, Smokshwn is right about magnums, with the powder burning characteristics of this type of round, the longer barrel will definitely work better. Not so with non-magnum cartridges. No need for handy in an MOR/Sniper rifle. A 22 and a 26” aren’t a big difference handling wise with the weight it’s gonna have anyway. It’s not like you are trying to build a carbine here ;-)

--

Regards,

FYI, my A-bolt .300wsm is 23in stock ... why would you want to cut an inch off? For those who don't know, the wsm's typically run about 2in shorter than the traditional mags.

Also, from what I've seen on the ballistics, the new .25wssm should easily make major yet would probably have the softest recoil ... particularly based on the recoil of my 6.5 lbs .300wsm.

I don't handload, so if I were serious about major MOR, I'd definitely go that route. But, to save on $, as it is, I'd just use my .243. Don't they calibrate steel for minor?

I don't know sh!t about handloading ... but it seems to me you wouldn't need to run "full-power" 7wsm ... so I wouldn't think that'd be a bbl-burner.

Too bad about capacity though ... with the wsm/wssm's. :(

Here's a stupid question ... why not 7-08? Just makes major ... don't it? Or is there a significant offsetting benefit of the extra 400fps vs. recoil? I really don't have a clue ... I'm just used to pistols where everyone's trying to keep it as close to the major threshold as possible.

BJ,

You could do it but there are many better choices. The whole idea is to have the best ballistics with the least amount of recoil, longest barrel life, and proven accuracy. .260 is the best choice for MOR if you reload, 308 if you don't. The sniper style matches 308 is the ticket because a bunch of them have caliber restrictions that only allow duty issued calibers like 308, 300WM and .223. It is like shooting a SS 45 in open... you can do it but why the heck would you. Just becasue you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't aware that there were caliber restrictions on some matches for duty calibers only. So I guess it looks like 308 will be the caliber of choice whenever I get ready to have a rifle built. I'll also guess that the same matches do not allow brakes?