Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TMMS or ELS, which do you prefer

Contemplating a conversion from old school slide on pouches, tech-lock shell holders and holster on a CR speed belt to adaptable configuration. Which setup do you prefer?

34" waist, so real estate is priced at a premium on my belt, and so I was thinking about simply mounting either on a standard CR belt to keep the mounting plates close together without gaps

+1 for the ELS system I use it in 3 gun. Everything on my belt can be taken off. When I start a stage I only have on my belt what I need to shoot that stage all other gear gets left in my range bag. My two boys have started shooting matches now and they have their own inner and outer belt but we share belt gear between all of us.

I like the TMMS. The modularity is more or less the same, but the ability to slide the backer/Tek-Lok around means I have some more freedom in configuring stuff for stages. Whichever you get, add a really good keeper (like the Arredondo hard plastic one) to keep your belt from taking a dive during a stage.

I have tried just about everything and no one system has it all (yet). The Safariland belt is not something I can recommend, lots of issues. The CRSpeed belts are better, but then you are to Tek-Loks, which work okay, or TMMS, which the locking tabs did not even last me a season. The Safariland ELS system, to me is the best best, and the QLS is good for pistols. So, I put holes in a CR Speed belt and that is what I used this year. As close as I have gotten to a very good system. This winter, a DSG belt gets modded for the ELS, and that should be even better (solves the keeper problem).

The spacing thing I've learned to control with the inner belt. Put some marks on the inner belt which indicate the "right" fit. Then don't lose or gain weight.

The pop loose part can be fixed with a an extra belt keeper or two. Heck, a zip tie is cheap as well.

For buckling, I find that setting it up such the the posts end up right behind my holster works best for me.

Edited by Vlad

I agree with Pat although I have not run my belt for 4 years yet I have not had a single thing come loose or pop off. Two things I have noticed though are; the fork and plate separate easier if I lock the fork in pointing up and can push it down to release it and by melting the Velcro inside the keeper buckle it sure slides in place over the end of the belt easier.

I too mark my inner belt for consistent fit of the outer belt. I think the Safarliland belt is great for newbs. It gives a person a way to trial and error gear placement without hacking up a belt. Once you figure out your gear placement punching holes in another belt really isn't a big deal.

ELS with Safariland's ELS belt. Been using it for a couple years now and like being able to move/remove things as wanted or needed. Flipped the Safariland beltkeeper inside out so it just slides into place. I did end up removing the two metal studs in order to have more convenient time putting on/taking off the belt. Belt stays in place, has never come off.

I too mark my inner belt for consistent fit of the outer belt. I think the Safarliland belt is great for newbs. It gives a person a way to trial and error gear placement without hacking up a belt. Once you figure out your gear placement punching holes in another belt really isn't a big deal.

Yep, I am a "newb" ahhahaha :roflol:

Well Patrick, maybe your issues with buckling it by yourself are indicating you need a pit crew. It's time to bring some style to this game so maybe a couple of simply dressed models following you everywhere would class home the joint a bit :)

Haha, That wasn't aimed at you Mr. Kelley. Just a statement in general.

I did the same thing Mark did. I like the ELS system, but didn't want a new belt as I like mine. So I took mine and used a soldering iron to make holes in the belt. I then attached the ELS that way. I plan on adding more so I can change up configuration on my caddies and what not. I currently have 4 ELS receivers on my belt and will probably have 6 to 8 by the time I am done.

Well Patrick, maybe your issues with buckling it by yourself are indicating you need a pit crew. It's time to bring some style to this game so maybe a couple of simply dressed models following you everywhere would class home the joint a bit :)

Dang, I like how you think!

Haha, That wasn't aimed at you Mr. Kelley. Just a statement in general.

I know, I just had to say something.