Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun

Just looking for guidelines and rules without having to invent our own. Heck, I don't even know if there is a "rulebook", lol. We are all new to this.

There are only 4 active clubs in Wyoming and we are looking for some type of a special or annual event that might be of interest to shooters. One of the guys suggested 3-gun because we thought it might bring out more LEO shooters.

Ron,

That link (above) is a pretty good intro to 3-gun link.

Our local range in Ohio (Ranyer's Range) is trying, like you, to look for some standardation on this whole three-gun thing.  We really would like to grow the sport.

With that in mind, I have been asking questions of whoever would listen.  I have heard many different things.  Seems to me the field is wide-open.  Do whatever works for your club.  You won't likely have more than a dozen shooters in 3-gun for quite a while anyway.

-Some clubs will run a shotgun side match one month, and a rifle side match the next.

-Fair scoring can be a mess...nobody wants a dozen different classes.  Some clubs will allow you one gun with an optic, you choose which gun.  We just score everybody with whatever class they shoot their pistol (Open or Limited).

-We sometimes run all three guns on one stage, non-stop.  If you are going to do that, think safety.  We would, for example, start with a shotgun with no more than eight rounds.  You shoot the shotgun dry (from one position), clean up any misses with the pistol as you move on through the course.  Your final shooting position might be a table.  Lay your pistol on the table in front of you and pick up your rifle and engage the rifle targets from that position.

Think more toward lateral movement when designing stages...you don't want to get in front of that "empty" shotgun you left on the first table.

We don't often shoot more than two guns in a stage...saftey first.

Thanks guys. We are on a roll now. I don't even have a rifle for 3-gun, but the main force behind it owns a sporting goods store. He has a Bushmaster with the removeable carry handle/sights that he will let me have for $700.00 and it even has 30 round mags. I think I'll buy it and give 3-gun a go.

A couple thoughts...

If you have long-range targets, they are going to slow down the match because it takes so long to get out there and score them. Even an ATV/motorcycle/golf cart is going to be kind of slow. If you can, use rifle pits and radios. When 3 gun picks up and you have the funds, get some flasher plates which don't require resetting. They do get kind of repetitious and boring, though.

Another thing that takes a while is loading the shotguns. Some matches have an RO "pre load" the on-deck shooter at a safe place.

I think there's another thread in which we discuss the pitfalls of using multiple guns in a single stage.

I see some questionable gun handling in 3 gun. Long guns require special attention, especially with the 180.

You'll need to have some safety rules about when, where, and how to handle long guns. Everybody kind of assumes they can handle them whenever and wherever they want and carry them around the range. At least some people keep the muzzle up or down. I hate being swept by a 12 ga or an AR15 muzzle.

Look at http://www.azgunning.com for the rules for the Myst Mtn 3 gun and http://www.wc3gun.com for their rules.  USPSA has different rules as well.

You'll run into an issue about classes.  Personally, I like USPSA's open and limited but you'll find a lot of people will want to shoot a scoped rifle and limited pistol and shotgun b/c people can't shoot iron sighted rifles worth a damn.  Mysty Mtn's and SOF's  rules try to accomodate that by having a tactical class subdivided into iron sight rifle and "tactically" scoped rifle (from a list of approved scopes).  This is too complicated for a local match.  You may be better off allowing  scopes on rifles in "tactical" class just to increase participation.  Making people buy from a list of approved scopes is lame.  Or you could allow the tactical shooter to have one scope in his kit, be it on a rifle, pistol, or shotgun.  A lot of people won't come back after missing all the long range targets w/ iron sights (unless you get some highpower shooters in your match , they'll cream everyone w/ iron sights).  

Erik is absolutley right about flasher targets at long range.  They save a lot of time.  MGM targets makes them.  

Philosophically, I think the biggest danger you face is having rifle stages turn into big pistol stages.  Don't turn to the darkside or sucumb to the power of the Ring,  TREAT RIFLES LIKE RIFLES, shoot them from 0 to at least 300 yards (or as far as your range allows).  I HATE rifles matches that I could win w/ my pistol.

Preach on, brother Kelly!

It's important to have cover all the distances with rifle targets because it challenges your gun setup (zero distance), your knowledge of its trajectory, and your ability to compensate for sight height and trajectory.

Amen Brothers!!

3 Gun / Practical Rifle matches are the best thing that's ever happened to my rifle shooting / handling ability.  It's just all BS until you have to walk the talk.  We are fortunate enough to run some long, "sniper" stages along with short burners at my club.  

I second the class philosophy.  All the multitude of classes do is to make small matches non-competitive.  Everyone's a winner - big deal.  At our matches, guys with iron sights are giving the scope guys a run for their money.   I think the last match was won with iron sights and half of the top shooters ran irons.  We have two classes: optics and irons.  If it's got a lens or piece of glass, congratulations, you're shooting optics class.

As far as safety, virtually everyone at our range uses a gun rug/case (pistol and rifle).  Some tactical slings work OK, but the rug is THE solution to the muzzle problem.  I really wish that chamber flags were mandatory too. I use one voluntarily - even with the case.

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 11:46 am on Dec. 9, 2001)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and we are going to go for it. We have a half a dozen folks willing to jump right in.

I do feel kinda dumb. I was gonna ask what you guys what you think about the Bushmaster that I am going to get and what kind of trigger I should use, but guess what? I just discovered there is a 3-gun forum on this site. For crying out loud...talk about head in ass...

Bushmasters are good rifles.  You'll probably want to put a good single stage trigger kit in it.  I like Accuracy Speaks trigger kits (which may soon be available at BE.com!)  but JPs are good too.  

I don't care for flattops with a nonremovable standard front sight.  I hate using an optics and seeing the front sight in a scope.  It does not bother some but I can't stand it.  That is no reason not to get the Bushmaster.  It is easy to get a new gas manifold or just be manly and use the iron sights!.

There is some good stuff in the rifle shotgun forum about how to set up your AR for 3 gun.

At my club I let guys shoot/ reshoot the pistol matches with carbines.  Everyonce in a while we'll have a shotgun stage thrown in to make it a true three gun match.

The biggest local IDPA match I ever shot at was a regular three stage pistol match with a two stage pistol/one stage shot gun/ two stage carbine side match.  The three gun sid match was scored seperatley and wasn't divided by classification.  Iron sights only.

kellyn:

I got a great price on a holosight so I went that route. Ordered the whole JP assembly this morning. I also called Bushmaster about the gas manifold and they suggested a hack saw on the one I already have...yeah I mowed the sucker off...basement gun butchers suck. Hey that's me.

Quote: from Erik Warren on 11:02 am on Dec. 7, 2001

I shot my first 3-gun match with the guys from this site, Port Malabar Rifle & Pistol Club. It was an hour and a half drive from my house and well worth it. I had a great time and got hooked on 3-gun.

I shot with what I had and pretty much walked the stages (came in last place) but still had a great time. If you live on the east coast of Florida, I recommend coming to one of their shoots.

Ron you are getting good advice on the other posts, is this site great or what Our little IDPA club here in central California came up with these rules to go by since there are no IDPA 3 gun rules. We went with simplicity and will modify our program as we learn by doing Here is the link: http://www.midvalleyshooters.com/2002_matches.htm

Our range has 2 pistol/shotgun bays, a 200 yd rifle range, a 50 yd bay for rifles/shotguns and a trap area for birdshot only. You have to design the stages around your facility.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...