Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dented 40s in 2011

chuckstur

If you're talking about the dent around the middle of the case, it looks like those rounds got stuck at the top of the chamber and dented on the top of the feed ramp. Changing bullet profile or OAL of rounds can fix.

That's what's doing it. I quit using mine b/c of it.

The Uplula can certainly dent the casings, but those dents come from really smashing rounds (usually w/ an uplula) into an STI mag tube. The "ridges" inside the tube cause the dents.

Yes, I used the Uplula. Tell me more

Chuck, have you checked and cleaned the extractor and looked at the breech face? What lube are you running?

Here is the deal. I am not claiming to be an expert. I have been shooting competitions at least three weekends a month with this gun, plus practice. It started to do what you describe and picture a little while ago. Normally a light "battery assist" with the heel of my weak hand and keep going. Since cleaning and lubing the extractor mechanism I have run four matches and practice sessions without a single issue. No changes to ANY OTHER variable. Same ammo, magazines, loader and everything.

Oh, just to add to the conversation. I used an UpLULA before, during and after this issue. Any mark from the loader would be on the top of the round. I will bet your dent is on the BOTTOM of the round as it gets hung up on the breech face with the case bottom low and the bullet high (against the top of the chamber) and the dent is from the top of the feed ramp. It is easy to take some gun scrubber to the extractor channel and work the pawl a little with a piece of brass. Do it a couple times and put a drop or two of oil down it and try it out. It is a simple check and will save a lot of frustrations if that is all it is.