Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI GM V SVI

mickd1

HI ALL

I've had my sti gm for some time now and b4 that a sti true bore but i still can't get it to feel right and it just seems to be a little too heavy for transitions between targets,i have spent many a hours with different loads,powders,guild rods,springs you name it I've tried it, and i still can't get it to shoot like i want it too so I've started to look at the SVI's and our local dealer,( i say local he is in another state so i can't have a look or feel of one) has around 5 different open guns to pick from and the price well should we say I've got to sell my kidney for one :surprise:

so are the SVI open guns that much better or should i just keep the GM

Hello: I don't think the SVI guns are that much better. They may use better materials but the end result is up to the shooter. If you want your gun to transition better make the front end lighter. I am working on a project Grandmaster right now converting it to 9mm. I have not shot it yet since I have some more work to do on it. I am going to lighten up the front since I like light fast reacting pistols. I would ask around your area to see if anyone has a lightened slide pistol you could try. Thanks, Eric

Well, you seem to indicate your GM is too heavy. If that is truly the case, then the Infinity won't be any better for you. As for the question if Infinity is better than the STI GM, then I will say will 100% confidence, that the Infinity is a much better, full custom firearm. Better machining, better parts, custom choices made by the end user, and absolutely better QC. Now, what that costs you, vs. how well you shoot it is the question. I chose to go with Infinty and it has done nothing but help me.

Put it on a diet. The GM doesn't (at least I don't think it does) come with slide lightening does it? Chopping it up and taking some weight out of the front will be a lot cheaper than buying a new gun, that is for sure.. And if you still don't like it then sell it and get yourself a full custom. But I would try lightening your current gun first.

I have an SVI on the way. And by on the way I mean I get to see and test fire it tomorrow :goof:

If you are from where your location says, then your local distributor is in the same state.

Edited by Knp1288

sell the GM and buy a STI matchmaster, the money you didn't spent on the SVI use it to get some training or ammo... the matchmaster needs a triggerjob, a full length guiderod so you can tune your springs and maybe some extractor tuning.

2000 dollar on ammo makes you a better shooter, 2000 dollar on fancy coatings and exotic parts makes you look fast and cool on the range...

if you have the money go for the ammo and looks of the SVI, when they tink you are fast your opponents make more mistakes ;-)

T

sell the GM and buy a STI matchmaster, the money you didn't spent on the SVI use it to get some training or ammo... the matchmaster needs a triggerjob, a full length guiderod so you can tune your springs and maybe some extractor tuning.

2000 dollar on ammo makes you a better shooter, 2000 dollar on fancy coatings and exotic parts makes you look fast and cool on the range...

if you have the money go for the ammo and looks of the SVI, when they tink you are fast your opponents make more mistakes ;-)

T

The difference between a GM and an SVI here in Australia is not $2000. I paid only hundreds more for my SVI than what a GM costs here.

Well, you seem to indicate your GM is too heavy. If that is truly the case, then the Infinity won't be any better for you. As for the question if Infinity is better than the STI GM, then I will say will 100% confidence, that the Infinity is a much better, full custom firearm. Better machining, better parts, custom choices made by the end user, and absolutely better QC. Now, what that costs you, vs. how well you shoot it is the question. I chose to go with Infinty and it has done nothing but help me.

Quoted for truth.

I had to order a compact SVI because that was already at 40-41oz unloaded. Anything bigger and it would have just been too much weight, and even that 3.75" gun is close to that limit. I'd really like to order another, but... heavy.

I agree with the guy that said try a matchmaster. if your problem is that your gm feels too heavy and slow to transition then getting another full length 2011 from SVI won't cure that.

the matchmaster is similar to your GM but shorter/lighter. it will transition better than the longer/heavier gm.

the matchmaster is basically an inch shorter. it also has more slide lightening from the factory than the gm has (gm has the rear cut down by MM has the rear cut down and holes up the front of the slide too).

just be aware that a shorter barrel means you need more powder to reach the same velocity (ie to make PF) and less weight removes some of the recoil dampening effect of a nose heavy gun. but it sounds like it might be the right balance for you. see if you can find someone local who'll let you shoot one before spending the $$ on it.

For the price of a GM you can get a CKArms and get a much better gun

Not familiar with CKArms?…it's a joint venture between Bobby Keigans and Matt Cheely to build a one size fits all Custom gun….they can build them faster since they don't have to retool between builds and their goal is to have them sitting on the shelf waiting at the time of order….you just don't get any options (other than optic)…it's their version of what an open gun should be.

http://www.ckarms.com/products/open/

Not familiar with CKArms?…it's a joint venture between Bobby Keigans and Matt Cheely to build a one size fits all Custom gun….they can build them faster since they don't have to retool between builds and their goal is to have them sitting on the shelf waiting at the time of order….you just don't get any options (other than optic)…it's their version of what an open gun should be.

Valid idea, but....by the time it gets to Australia, including taxes, US export permits, dealer fees, the poor USD to AUD exchange rate and whatever profit the CKArms distributor makes on top of that...it's well and beyond the price of a GM.

CKArms make good guns. I have looked into it myself but the price has put me off.

I looked at their site yesterday and the price point was very impressive...