Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223/5.56 Hoser Loads - Fast Powders + Light Bullets

Flatland Shooter

Opened this thread so I would not hijack another.

In reference to some top 3GN pros shooting really light loads, I wondered what powders and bullets some of the forum members are using to do the same.

MarkCo indicated that 40 - 50 gr bullets with fast powders running at well under 2500 fps are somewhat common with the pros. I'm loading 50 gr Noslers at the minimum recommended load with AA 2230 and IMR 8208 and they are not nearly that slow. Its a nice soft shooting and accurate load, but what the heck, lets experiment.

So what fast powders will work? And what are the "minimum" safe loads with those powders?

Thanks.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

4227 with 40s or 50s is what I've played with in the past. Developed the load for foxes actually - used it on Ptarmigan and rabbits also. Have thought about trying that in my 3gun setup, but haven't gotten around to it. Didn't like that the case was mostly empty.... did like the Hornet like velocities.

Guys as far as powder goes, try www.reloadingunlimited.com. I have found these folks to have a selection of powders that nobody has, plenty of Varget, CFE223, AA powders, etc. The only down side is that they are expensive, but they have product. They have been running sales lately as well. Good Luck!

Since I stick to 55 gr and below, I tend to use Accurate 2015.. it is rated on the faster side for .223/5.56 and produces adequate gas pressure for the lighter bullets.. I'm just a middle of the road rifle shooter that mostly shoots local matches.. so ymmv..