Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Quest for the Sub 3 El Prez

Jake Di Vita

I understand the quest for speed, but what's the point of accepting any kind of hits? To me, if you're just wanting to hit the paper as fast as possible, we could probably find some teenagers at an arcade who play video games that we could train and eventually one of them will break 3.00 seconds with 12 holes in the paper. But what's the point?

I'd much rather see Jake set a speed record for getting all 12 As!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a challenge a couple time put out by Gungames I think you had to do a 3.95 clean. the super squad at 2 nationals got a shot at it. Nobody did it. Not Robbie, Todd, Jerry. Doug Koenig was the closest at one I was at.

Hehe, I think I was the only one to win anything off that contest...

...At the Canadian Nationals that year they ran a side event to that challenge, fastest score all A's. I won it with a 6 sec. run with a borrowed gun. There were faster runs, but none could hook up the 12 A's needed. Got a nice shiny new timer out of that one.

Thread drift,

Man why was everyone mad at the freakin tiger. Everyone saying that tiger went crazy. That tiger didn't go crazy, that tiger went tiger. The tiger was crazy when it was riding the little bike with the freakin helmet on.

hehe Chris Rocks ;)

BTW Eric G did a 3.95 full house run on one of his videos. I think that is a good starting point. God, I love this "f*#k the rules and self-imposed boundaries" stuff.

Hi Jake...

Well, if you do succeed, it'll be a hell of an achievement. Count me as one of those who'll be following your progress with interest.

Coupla questions... 1. What are your best time and best hit factor so far?

2. Are you using your Production gear (which would make a sub-3 even more impressive) or something with a big honkin' mag well and a comp?

Best of luck,

Elye A.

Everyone also told Roger Bannister the 4 minute mile couldn't be done, including doctors who said it was physically impossible...

I've heard and read statements like this many times, and I have no idea where they come from. Read Bannister's book, The Four-Minute Mile. Everyone knew the four-minute mile was possible. For years before Bannister broke that barrier, people had been nipping at it. It was obvious that eventually someone was going to do it. Bannister's challenge wasn't to do something that everyone thought was impossible. It was to do it first, before any of the handful of other people in the world who might have done it.

Bottom Line, Sub 3 , No Way!

Oh of course, it's possible. Travis Tomasie has done 3.2s several times with decent hits. That says to me that 3.0 or less is certainly within the realm of human performance, especially if someone dedicates themselves wholeheartedly to doing it.

Hey guys,

Spook,

I was wondering who would catch that. ;) ;) ;)

kamakiri,

I haven't shot an el prez with my open gun yet, however with a Production gun my best run was 52 points in around 4.3. I will be going after this goal with my race gun.

For everyone who thinks it isn't possible, I was talking it over with TT in email throughout the day, I'll post one of the paragraphs he sent me.

"I do believe it's possible to do that El Prez....especially with an IPSC start and not a classifier start. Back in '96 I did several 3.1x's. My best was a 3.17 (11 down though!) with my Open gun. I was dry firing about 4 hours a day. I used a par time of 3.2 in live fire to help get me down there. My reloads were in the mid .60's. Now, I couldn't keep all the hits on the paper consistently when I made the par. Let me know when you get it under 3.17 and I'll start working on my El Prez again."

- TT

Alrighty guys, back to practice... :)

I understand the quest for speed, but what's the point of accepting any kind of hits? To me, if you're just wanting to hit the paper as fast as possible, we could probably find some teenagers at an arcade who play video games that we could train and eventually one of them will break 3.00 seconds with 12 holes in the paper. But what's the point?

"Because it's there."

11 points down, 3.17 seconds, HF of 15.457

i wonder what the best TGO could do?

edited to note that steve andersons SLOWER run of 3.69 with 58pts still gives better HF

Just pokin holes in targets in under 3.0 seconds aint gonna cut it.

i want to see a 2.95 run with 60 pts, at a major match..

Imagine the confidence level of a guy who pulls off a 3 flat or sub 3 elprez...

Think about his draw, his reload, his turn, his splits, his transitions.

Those skills will be useful on every stage, and they will be formidable.

SA

btw, it could just as easily be a girl who gets there.

Aren't we mixing two seperate things here and confusing the disscusion because of it?

Jake is setting himself the challenge of running an El Pres in 3 seconds. He's not claiming he can do it at a match or do it with all As.

He's even broken down the goal into sub-goals which, while being very difficult, don't look beyond the bounds of possibility.

Anyone who's dry firing at 1:35am and made high M his first classification with an Open gun seems to have the right stuff to push boundaries :P

Jake, don't pay any attention to the "nay" sayers, go for it and let us know when you've done it! You've already said that you understand it's a "party trick" and realize what it means in the grand scheme of things but it's still worth doing.

I'll be impressed with a 3 second run even if the hit factor is 8 :ph34r:

Kevin

Jake is setting himself the challenge of running an El Pres in 3 seconds. He's not claiming he can do it at a match or do it with all As.

What's that got to do with the price of bananas? The point is to feed Jake so much negative energy he quits and takes up competitive badminton.

Bad Jake! Bad bad Jake!

I got your back Jake B)

Not only do I think Jake can do it.....

He will do it before USPSA nationals, AND make top 5 at USPSA nationals

AND that Anderson Feller will do it too maybe not before Nationals though as if he is going to win Nationals he needs to not worry about a sub 3 El Prez....

GO for it Jake and Steve.....

I can back you up for 6 shots !!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hopalong

I get a solid feeling that Jake is gonna do this and real soon now. Anytime you can break something down into a doable set of individual parts, putting it back together as a whole piece is just one more step and not that much harder in the world of things if you are certain that it can be done.

Right on Jake. I saw Voigt do a Vice Prez (7 yards, no turn) down around 3 flat back in 1989 at Reno in a sidematch. It seemed awesome at the time, still is actually. IMHO, if anyone says that adding a turn and 3 yards to this makes it unattainable is underestimating the competitive spirit.

Heck, anything under 9- 10 seconds for a Prez was thought to be hot shjt back in the 70's and early eighties. Things change and I welcome it.

Everyone now! Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake.......

--

Regards,

Now, if we could just get El Prez back in a major match, you stand to pick up at least 10-15 points....or loose 30!

If there's one thing certain about a "sub 3 second El-Prez," it's that I'll never be the guy doing it! 3.82 down 3 is as good as I've ever done, and that was luck.

Maybe most of our goals should be geared more toward consistency. Is it better to do a 2.99 el prez once, or to do ten 4.5's in a row? I once performed a .54 reload A to A at 5 yards...then started to think...why? Now my goal is to average sub 1's all the time at 10yds.

Good luck Jake...you're gonna need it. Just make sure the video camera is running. Hell, I'd like to see a sub 3.5 on video....with some hits!

Forever slow

Phil